Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 314
  1. #1
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Posts
    7,597

    Destroyed differential cup



    So I haven't serviced the differential in my first Slash in a long time. So I was running it yesterday and lost power to the rear wheels. The differential cup on the left was the destroyed piece. The cup on the right is the healthy differential cup. It looks like the gears ate the seats that hold the spider gears in place. Afterwards they ate everything else inside the cup so the spider gears just spun and couldn't put any power to the ground.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

  2. #2
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    123
    did the gears survive?

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Posts
    7,597
    Quote Originally Posted by JackSlash View Post
    did the gears survive?
    It took the sharp edges of one of the spider gears but it is still usable. It was a huge mess in that differential cup!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    123
    Thats good, a cheap fix then. btw...how long did you go without service?

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Posts
    7,597
    It has been about a year. I had 50,000 wt fluid in it. The fluid was horribly burned and looked like tar with chunks in it. I replaced it with 100,000 wt fluid. It has a lot better control at high speeds, it sticks to the ground better and is easier to handle when the rear end steps out.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Jacksonville Fl
    Posts
    122
    sorry about that problem. I smashed my front end at wot on road into a big rock. gotta get new parts now

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    6,473
    get the XO-1 diffs, it has a i bar inside to handle the abuse.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Posts
    7,597
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    get the XO-1 diffs, it has a i bar inside to handle the abuse.
    Is the differential from the XO-1 a direct bolt on or will I have to use the internal parts from the Slash 4x4?
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    6,473
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Is the differential from the XO-1 a direct bolt on or will I have to use the internal parts from the Slash 4x4?
    its a direct bolt on, no mod needed. cheap tp buy the whole diffs than building one. i buy it from this guy http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/servlet/...RENTIAL/Detail
    although his out of stock right now
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 03-10-2013 at 11:19 PM.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. vxlrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Manassas, Va
    Posts
    6,654
    i use the e-revo gears with the FLM diff cups. the outside 2 are still slash 4x4 as they are milled down to fit the cvds, but the crossbrace and main spider gears are e-revo. this is bulletproof.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Posts
    7,597
    Thank you gentlemen! I run Mip X-Duty axles. So the XO-1 is just going to slide in and fit? Sounds great to me! Thank you for the link humayrayakongkinaon. Vxlrocket, I have heard that you have to tweek those differential cups. Are they also a direct fit?
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    6,473
    yep, XO-1 diffs are what i have on my Rally GT8. HR make a aluminum diff cup that is a direct drop to the XO-1 stock plastic cup.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. vxlrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Manassas, Va
    Posts
    6,654
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Thank you gentlemen! I run Mip X-Duty axles. So the XO-1 is just going to slide in and fit? Sounds great to me! Thank you for the link humayrayakongkinaon. Vxlrocket, I have heard that you have to tweek those differential cups. Are they also a direct fit?
    no, they're a direct fit. i've built 4 sets already and they work awesome imo. the only thing i had to do was sand a hair of flash off a couple of the drive pins because the fitment was so tight. other than that it was easy.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

  14. #14
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Posts
    7,597
    Thank you for the advice gentlemen! I have had great luck with my differentials but after three + years, I guess it was about time.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

  15. #15
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    friendswood texas
    Posts
    1,271
    Any one have a part # for the complete and rebuild kit? This may be what I need. After going to mmp sct with 3S the diff output shafts get loose even after installing A rebuild kit with new cups. Basically lots of up and down movement of the tekno cups. No leaking just slop from the side gear shafts that the axles attach to.

  16. #16
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Jacksonville Fl
    Posts
    122
    diff carrier diff gear set ring gear
    slash 5381 6882 5379x f 6879 r
    xo1 3978 6882x 5379x f 6879 r
    erevo 3978 5382x 5379x f&r i think
    looks like on the diff gear set only thing added was the i beam/carrier support. but heres a kicker on the slash 4x4 6808l exploded view for the rear it has 6882 for gear set. but on the 6808l parts list it has only 6882x. so my guess is that you could buy the diff gear set and get the carrier support,output gears,spider gers, and spider gear shaft.
    now the differance in the carriers/diff housing is that the erevo and the xo1 to the slash carrier. is that for the spider gear shaft it has these metal supports that sits on the spider gear shaft top and bottom to hold the spider gears in place. those supports slide into groves on the diff carriers. i hope this helps. I'm thinking about doing this mod

  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Posts
    7,597
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    its a direct bolt on, no mod needed. cheap tp buy the whole diffs than building one. i buy it from this guy http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/servlet/...RENTIAL/Detail
    although his out of stock right now
    I think I might give a look at the eBay chop shops. Is there any way besides taking the differential apart to tell if it is truly an XO-1 part?
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

  18. #18
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Jacksonville Fl
    Posts
    122
    Sent from my Samsung NOTE 2.

  19. #19
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,008
    I was surprised to see that 75% of the XO-1 use slash 4x4 parts...I was able to buy XO-1 parts when building my Slash 4x4 cheaper on E-Bay because no one buys those parts! AND, the diffs are reinforced! SCORE!!!

  20. #20
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    6,473
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I think I might give a look at the eBay chop shops. Is there any way besides taking the differential apart to tell if it is truly an XO-1 part?
    only way to tell is to open it up but, with the seller that i buy them from its the real XO-1 diff. heres another way, better than the plastic cup and no mod needed everything just drop right in.
    its an HR cup for E-REVO or E-MAXX.

    picture courtesy of Mitch316
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

  21. #21
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Jacksonville Fl
    Posts
    122
    those look sweet. we'll see how i feel when i get to my lhs this week end But i'm getting the xo1 cups and gears.

  22. #22
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Posts
    7,597
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    only way to tell is to open it up but, with the seller that i buy them from its the real XO-1 diff. heres another way, better than the plastic cup and no mod needed everything just drop right in.
    its an HR cup for E-REVO or E-MAXX.

    picture courtesy of Mitch316
    That looks sweet! Do you have a link to where you bought that from? That is going to the top of my list!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

  23. #23
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    6,473
    if i tell you then, nothing will be left for me to buy LOL J/K. here you go, http://www.ebay.com/itm/400430778749...84.m1438.l2648
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

  24. #24
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Posts
    7,597
    Thank you! So I just pull the gears out of the stock gears and put them into the aluminum case? Where did you get the brace and internal parts? This is probably going to be ordered on Friday! Thank you for your help!!!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

  25. #25
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Clayton, CA.
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    only way to tell is to open it up but, with the seller that i buy them from its the real XO-1 diff. heres another way, better than the plastic cup and no mod needed everything just drop right in.
    its an HR cup for E-REVO or E-MAXX.

    picture courtesy of Mitch316
    Where do you get that center piece between the spider gears? Looked at eBay link and looks like all you get is diff cup and four screws?

  26. #26
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Easton, MD
    Posts
    593
    I believe the brace comes with the e-revo diff set. At least that's where I got mine.

  27. #27
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    6,473
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Thank you! So I just pull the gears out of the stock gears and put them into the aluminum case? Where did you get the brace and internal parts? This is probably going to be ordered on Friday! Thank you for your help!!!
    My diffs were XO-1 and its got all that gears so all i have to do is swap them over.

    Quote Originally Posted by briandee View Post
    I believe the brace comes with the e-revo diff set. At least that's where I got mine.
    you'll find the I bar support with XO-1, EMBE, ERBE and Summit.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-13-2013 at 08:50 AM. Reason: merge
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

  28. #28
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Clayton, CA.
    Posts
    367
    Cool, thanks been wanting to replace both front and rear stock diffs with something meatier!

  29. #29
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Posts
    7,597
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    you'll find the I bar support with XO-1, EMBE, ERBE and Summit.
    Ok, so its time to look on eBay for those stock differential parts. If not I may need to take a trip to my lhs. Again I would really to thank you for l of your help. This will really help my truck be bulletproof
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

  30. #30
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    6,473
    FYI ebay sell the I bar but its not all complete you also need to buy the diff cup because you need to use the spider pin end holder. heres what i'm talking about.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-6882...item5ae8f5260d
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-3978...item3f1ab2c74c

    for me its better to buy the whole diff
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 03-12-2013 at 11:18 PM.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

  31. #31
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Posts
    7,597
    Ok, I have all of the parts in my cart and ready to pull the trigger! So after all this, I should have a bulletproof differential! Thank you for all of your help! I really appreciate everyone here
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

  32. #32
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    6,473
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Ok, I have all of the parts in my cart and ready to pull the trigger! So after all this, I should have a bulletproof differential! Thank you for all of your help! I really appreciate everyone here
    your welcome... enjoy bashing!!
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

  33. #33
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Clayton, CA.
    Posts
    367
    Hope these work, just ordered two from eBay. So all I need now are the guts outta my stock ones and a few additional parts from an XO-1 diff?

  34. #34
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Posts
    7,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjoblue View Post
    Hope these work, just ordered two from eBay. So all I need now are the guts outta my stock ones and a few additional parts from an XO-1 diff?
    We ought to get together and have a differential building party! I am now in Hercules so we are pretty close to each other!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

  35. #35
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Clayton, CA.
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    FYI ebay sell the I bar but its not all complete you also need to buy the diff cup because you need to use the spider pin end holder. heres what i'm talking about.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-6882...item5ae8f5260d
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-3978...item3f1ab2c74c

    for me its better to buy the whole diff
    Sure these parts will work with those HR duff cups? Says they are 1/7 size when I look them up? Found some others on there that are 1/10 VXL?

  36. #36
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    6,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjoblue View Post
    Sure these parts will work with those HR duff cups? Says they are 1/7 size when I look them up? Found some others on there that are 1/10 VXL?
    the XO-1 is a 1/7 scale but the diffs are the same size with slash 4x4, pede 4x4, rally 1/10, ERBE, EMBE with one difference, the ERBE and EMBE diffs output shaft are 6mm while the XO-1 or slash 4x4 are 5mm.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

  37. #37
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Clayton, CA.
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    the XO-1 is a 1/7 scale but the diffs are the same size with slash 4x4, pede 4x4, rally 1/10, ERBE, EMBE with one difference, the ERBE and EMBE diffs output shaft are 6mm while the XO-1 or slash 4x4 are 5mm.
    Gotcha! Just ordered all the parts needed, hoping that these diffs will reduce the amount of lateral slop I usually get after a few uses with the stock ones. I got the MIPS on there so I know the added weight of them must put more strain on those stock diffs. Usually get about 1/8 of side to side movement where the MIPS attach to the diff out shafts after several runs.

  38. #38
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Posts
    7,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjoblue View Post
    Gotcha! Just ordered all the parts needed, hoping that these diffs will reduce the amount of lateral slop I usually get after a few uses with the stock ones. I got the MIPS on there so I know the added weight of them must put more strain on those stock diffs. Usually get about 1/8 of side to side movement where the MIPS attach to the diff out shafts after several runs.
    What weight fluid do you run in your differential? I also run Mip axles and I don't get anywhere near that much play in my differentials.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

  39. #39
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    friendswood texas
    Posts
    1,271
    OK read all this and my head is spinnin from all the great info. Could some one possibly do a parts list for dumb people like me?

  40. #40
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sillion Valley, CA
    Posts
    461
    what is a good start differential fuid weight for slash MT rough terrain front and read diff? I am thinking 50k front and 30k real?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •