Thread: New to nitro

RC Enthusiast

New to nitro

Hey guys I'm more to nitro, loving it so far! Today was the first time other than break in I've really got to run it. I'm pretty sure I've got it tuned pretty well, it was pulling wheelies and smoking good, although after about 20 minutes it began to bog down and eventually not move at all. I let it cool down and the same thing happend, runs great 20 min., then bogs down..I've done this about 4 times today. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong? Oh btw I have the 4901 2.5 maxx... Thanks in advance!

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like the half tank lean issue that happens with the stock tank. Richen up the HSN a little and the problem should go away. When you are tuning your engine for the first time of the day or in a while, leave your tank less than half empty. When the tank reaches less than half full, it starts to lean out the engine, so if you tune there, you will just be a little rich when the tank is full than hurt the engine by being lean.

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115 47' 34.8713"
    yup prolly to lean by the time its getting to the end of the tank, richen her up....

if you get sick of such a variance from a full tank to a almost empty tank then do the ofna tank mod, its still not perfect but its way better then the stock tank...
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys I'll give this a try today! Let you know how it goes

RC Enthusiast
    Proline runtime tank help any, after messing around a little more, what you guys are saying seems to on fact be the problem

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitHUGHES09 View Post
    Proline runtime tank help any, after messing around a little more, what you guys are saying seems to on fact be the problem
    the runtime tank isnt really much difference from the stock one.... youll want the ofna violator tank part #40109 and itll fit next to your transmission, and your batteries can go next to your engine where the stock tank normally goes. youll also need to buy bellcrank posts part# 4944 to mount the tank... also youll have to drill the holes in your frame to match the tank posts.. not only will the tank give you better tuning but its a lot more durable tank... pretty easy mod though

here is a pic so you get a general idea how the tank will fit...
    Last edited by kuskye25; 03-14-2013 at 10:38 PM.

RC Qualifier
    +110%^^^ Violator tank mod is one of the best things you can do for your T!

RC Enthusiast
    Great thanks guys I'll have to order one, I see ur toe adjustments are in and out, does that help anything? Also where can I get some of the fuel line at a decent price? I'll try to get some pics of my maxx on here, I'm pretty proud of it I've done some minor hop ups to it and I think it looks pretty good, I can't seem to post pics off my phone on here tho..

RC Enthusiast
    Also maxx o/d why is ur fuel line going all the way back and then to the carb, just curious?

RC Champion
    Great thanks guys I'll have to order one, I see ur toe adjustments are in and out, does that help anything? Also where can I get some of the fuel line at a decent price? I'll try to get some pics of my maxx on here, I'm pretty proud of it I've done some minor hop ups to it and I think it looks pretty good, I can't seem to post pics off my phone on here tho..
    yes for traction purposes you want your toe in in the rear, and out in the front, also you want some chamber set, like this
    /---\, on all four tires, not quite that extreme but you get the picture.... fuel line towerhobbies or your LHS

Also maxx o/d why is ur fuel line going all the way back and then to the carb, just curious?
    mine is like this to you just cant see it as well in my picture... going around behind the engine then up to the carb gives you a bunch of extra fuel line, if you flip the truck over now it will run longer before it dies...

RC Qualifier
    Kuskey is 100% correct. I run it this way for two reasons, 1. Like Kuskey said to keep the truck running when it flips and 2. To keep it away from the header, motor and to protect it from damage. i also have a fuel filter (Which really isn't needed since the Violator tank has a built in stone filter in the tank) that I unhook after each run to make sure the fuel is completely out of my motor (Makes it easier to get to)

RC Enthusiast
    I'll put some pics of my evolution up today, ordered the violator tank and trenchers, and also the 17mm hub upgrade...kuskye are those trenchers on your maxx?

RC Enthusiast
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Enthusiast
    there she is, reverse order on accident... so far ive put new wheels and tires,progressive springs, resonator pipe, motor saver filter, titanium toe links and a custom painted silverado proline body, first one ive ever painted. i think it turned out pretty good, gloss black on top with candy red on the bottom.. like i said i ordered the violator tank and the proline trenchers with the maxx 5 rims i believe. let me know what you guys think!

RC Qualifier
    Looking lean and mean buddy. How you liking those progressive springs thus far?
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..

RC Enthusiast
    I like them a lot, there's a good difference, I don't know if it's the oil wt or what but its a little soft in the rear end for my liking, def a good cheap upgrade tho!

RC Qualifier
    Generally its the shock spring rate that determines how much a truck squats.
    A stiffer spring will give you less squat.
    The spacers adjust ride height, and shock oil viscocity determines compression rate.
    You may be able to decrease the squat slightly with different shock mount positions.
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..

RC Enthusiast
    Good deal I'll give that a shot, one out on top and one in on the bottom?

RC Enthusiast
    Badlands* on the tires my bad, is 2.8 big enough? I have no lhs do I order everything on amazon and such!

RC Champion
    Badlands* on the tires my bad, is 2.8 big enough? I have no lhs do I order everything on amazon and such!
    yup the ones on mine are 3.8 badlands, 2.8 would be really small, even these 3.8's are small compared to your stock tires in width but it makes it handle so much better also so much easier on your servos to turn... props on keeping a very clean truck man, i love seeing a nice clean RC, esp when im going to buy a used one its so rare... btw i really dig your black and red body, looks sick

i use amainhobbies and towerhobbies mostly
    Last edited by kuskye25; 03-16-2013 at 01:45 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok now I have a new problem lol, I just received my rc raven aluminum chassis braces and i think I messed up putting them in, the spur gear isn't as smooth as before? What do I do

RC Champion
    Ok now I have a new problem lol, I just received my rc raven aluminum chassis braces and i think I messed up putting them in, the spur gear isn't as smooth as before? What do I do

oh never mind i know what prolly happened, your transmission bolts to your braces, so your trans prolly shifted a bit when you installed them... just loosen your engine up and redo your spur/pinion mesh.. you didnt mess up i can see this happening....
    Last edited by kuskye25; 03-17-2013 at 12:31 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Got it fixed, thanks! Hope I'm not being annoying with all the questions

RC Champion
    Got it fixed, thanks! Hope I'm not being annoying with all the questions
    did ya just have to reset your gear mesh.... your good man no annoyance to me at all...

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah all I did was, I took the mounting screws out of the tranny and realigned it up, I tinkered with it before I read your post I just wish it would warm up here do I can bash some more!

RC Champion
    Yeah all I did was, I took the mounting screws out of the tranny and realigned it up, I tinkered with it before I read your post I just wish it would warm up here do I can bash some more!
    cool man glad it was just a easy gear-mesh issue...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxximum Overdive View Post
    +110%^^^ Violator tank mod is one of the best things you can do for your T!
    is it me or its not really there... your antenna?
    SLASH 4X4, SLASH 2WD, RUSTLER VXL, TMAXX 2.5R

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BISDAK View Post
    is it me or its not really there... your antenna?
    The Antenna is there. It's 2.4GHZ so it's really short.

RC Enthusiast
    So I finally got the right axle driveshafts to make my 17 mm adaptors work! I put them on and built my piggybacks last night, I think I almost have her where she needs to be! I'll post pics when I get back home...

RC Enthusiast
    [IMG][/IMG]

Proline Trenchers
    3.3 spec driveshaft axles
    17mm hex wheel hub upgrade
    Rc Raven aluminum chassis braces
    Gmade 103mm XD piggybacks with progressive springs

RC Qualifier
    Did you get the black skid plates and bumpers from RC Raven? I was looking at them the other day myself, as well as their chassis braces. Looking great by the way. Black was what I was looking at.

RC Enthusiast
    Yeh I got the skids, tranny cover, servo saver, and bumpers all in a kit from rc raven, I think it was a pretty good deal also! I think they make great stuff!

RC Qualifier
    I actually got my wheels and tires from them and when I hosed them, trash on the hexes allowed them to get loose, they promptly sent me another set. I'll be buying more stuff from them soon for that. Customer loyalty my friend.

RC Champion
    your truck is looking great man, i love the trenchers on it and that body is still as sick as always... let me know how those progessive springs work i almost bought some once...

RC Enthusiast
    Heck yeah I appriciate it bro, I got her out today and had an absolute blast! These progressive springs seem to handle great with the piggybacks in the corners! I noticed a little rattle everynow and then is that normal? I also took your guys' advice and started the day with a half empty tank before tuning and didn't have the bog down issue at all! I plan on buying the violator at some point.