RC poster

Upgrade differentials without much modification?

Hello!

First run, broke my chassis, bulkhead and a-arms. Second run, front diff and a-arm :-)

The hit this second time wasnt that hard and after doing a little googling I find that the diff might not be the strongest part of this car. I would like to upgrade and the Losi upgrade I read about seems to be the best way to go, but I am not a handy man and making the losi part fit scares me. I have found some older threads describing it but some pictures where missing and I would probably need a bulletproof, idiot proof guide in order to make it. Is there another upgraded part that fits better or is there something else I can do in order to make the diffs more durable, like a metal casing or just something a little better then the original?

If I change the front diff, does that mean I have to change the rear as well?

Thanks!

the age old question, for years now, diff upgrades.
    there are several threads with the LS2 diffs

stock diff upgrades
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5342896
    & post 231
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    I have been trying to piece some information together, but it's been proving difficult.

What I'm most confused about is why people bother with LST2 diffs at all if one can just replace the stock case with a Hot Racing one? As far as I can tell they are a perfect fit, and there are other options still: STRC, New Era and GH all make replacement diff cases for Revo.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ignis View Post
    I have been trying to piece some information together, but it's been proving difficult.

What I'm most confused about is why people bother with LST2 diffs at all if one can just replace the stock case with a Hot Racing one? As far as I can tell they are a perfect fit, and there are other options still: STRC, New Era and GH all make replacement diff cases for Revo.
    STRC does? Where is this?
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Qualifier
    That doesn't help much still have the spider gears.
    6S OR NOTHING............................ maybe 5s

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mydudrevo View Post
    That doesn't help much still have the spider gears.
    Uhm... so? Don't all diffs have spider gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr8cture View Post
    STRC does? Where is this?
    Outer & inner.

RC Qualifier
    What I'm saying is that cup doesn't fix the fact that Revo diffs only have 4 spider gears that are small and soft metal 1/8 diffs have 6 spiders that are much higher quality

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ignis View Post

You must not be to familiar with the erbe because it is a very well known problem that the Revo diffs are very subpar when people do the lst swap they do it for the gears not for the aluminum case we all know that there are aluminum cases that will fit stock but that's just a small fix IMO

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I first went with shimming my diff. Didn't last -then aluminum case and robinson racing gears. First the spider gears stripped then put it back together then wasted a pinion. Ended up doing the losi mod and never looked back!

RC Qualifier
    thanks for the back up 50 i agree do the losi mod and never look back

RC Champion
    Long story short, there is not an easy way.

I tried GH cups first and then Hot Racing 3pc cups before i finally threw in the towel in 2010. I kept trying to make traxxas diffs work, using different components, trying to shim differently, changing my driving style, going down to 4s, scratching my head, and only one thing remained constant... I kept having to work on my diffs. The spiders would shear or the ring gear would chip and destroy everything.

The only true diff upgrade for the Erevo is a Losi differential retrofit. There was a 1/8 differential sold on RC Monster but it was discontinued pretty quickly. When I went to the Losi diffs in 2010 it fixed all of my differential problems. I have been on my current set of diffs and bulks for a solid year now. It does take a bit of work, but it is worth it. I can beat the snot out of my truck and nothing breaks.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-Tougher-Diffs

https://plus.google.com/photos/10751...ums?banner=pwa
    Last edited by anr2442; 03-10-2013 at 09:34 PM.
    Its All relative to your perspective.

RC Qualifier
    As it happens, I have an LST2 sitting around in my shed. I haven't used it in a while because it crossed that unfortunate point when an RC car breaks parts faster than you can replace them, but now that I think of it, I never had to replace or upgrade diffs on it. So it might just be worth looking at "migrating" those diffs into my ERBE.

Though this brings another question: do LST2 diffs work with MIP axles?

RC Qualifier
    Yep the will work

RC Champion
    Maybe you should make an up to date idiot proof guide Zulan, after your done with the upgrade. Then the mods could make it a sticky for everybody after you.

RC Qualifier
    There are already a couple our there Craig's and a couple more. Craig's is very detailed I'm gonna try updating mine a little to be a little more detailed but any questions you have just go to my thread and ill do my best to answer it for you the mod is actually easier than it seems

RC Qualifier
    my only reservation why I wouldnt like to do the mod is because I have in the past broken several bulks (part the diff sits in) I dont know.. maybe Im to hard on her in the skateparks..lol.. anyway Im unsure If I could be asked to do the mod over and over if I had to replace a bulk to fit the moded diff.. I am happy with the stock diffs, not had a failure yet and its a straight forward replacement..

Ive not had a diff break on my ERBE yet but I have on my 3.3, I dont often rebuild them either to replace the oil unless I take notion to rebuild the whole truck..

Food for thought...

I have a Q though....
    I noticed a little up and down play in the rear diff Ie where the centre shaft would connect the diff you can move it approx 2/3mm up and down, I wouldnt think this is helping anything on the drivetrain, and I have been snapping a fair few driveshafs lately, could this be why? anyone had this and any ideas how to fix/remove play..

Cheers guys
    Last edited by RevoDeano; 03-11-2013 at 12:28 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Fill the bulks with hot glue to fill in the voids around the diffs

Quote Originally Posted by RevoDeano View Post
    my only reservation why I wouldnt like to do the mod is because I have in the past broken several bulks (part the diff sits in) I dont know.. maybe Im to hard on her in the skateparks..lol.. anyway Im unsure If I could be asked to do the mod over and over if I had to replace a bulk to fit the moded diff.. I am happy with the stock diffs, not had a failure yet and its a straight forward replacement..

Ive not had a diff break on my ERBE yet but I have on my 3.3, I dont often rebuild them either to replace the oil unless I take notion to rebuild the whole truck..

Food for thought...

I have a Q though....
    I noticed a little up and down play in the rear diff Ie where the centre shaft would connect the diff you can move it approx 2/3mm up and down, I wouldnt think this is helping anything on the drivetrain, and I have been snapping a fair few driveshafs lately, could this be why? anyone had this and any ideas how to fix/remove play..

Cheers guys
    Hot glue
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-rebuild/page8
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    nice one...... have to check it out next time I strip down...