Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RC Competitor

Nitrous on a Jato 3.3?

Has anybody had any luck or tried nitrous on their jato? Im thinking bout putting it on mind, just wanna see if anybody else already has.

thanks

Waste of time and money.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    +1 Huge waste of time and money. It's an RC, it won't benefit much from nitrous
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Competitor

Drag Jato

I decided to keep my jato and turn it into a drag jato. I need help finding these parts guys. Im looking for big wide foam tires, skinny fronts, longer wheelie bar any advice will be very helpful.

Thanks

Where can I find the wide foam tires
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-10-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    I've got the thicker jacos on the back and lower profile jacos on front got a chance to really try em out today and what a difference def worth every penny I got mine from my lhs maybe try tower hobbies not sure about wider ones though
    Jato 3.3,Slayer pro

RC Competitor
    Any of you guys run 50% nitro. If so what's the gain and mph difference on stock 3.3 jato. Also would 50% fuel and good tune pipe put me at 70+ mph?

RC Competitor
    Doing the same thing and I plan on running 50%... I had originally modded my motor a bunch and won quite a few races but this time im going all out with the rlc conversion kit and everything as far as carb i would upgrade to the tm523 i believe it is... and use a bigger shim.. you want a top end motor all the way and those two things will probably give a good start to that... And the coldest plugs you can find... I can't share all of the secrets to my setup tho lol

RC Qualifier
    I tried the the stock length jato with all kinds of different wheelie bar configurations and motors. I now have the rlc conversion. It's nite and day difference. First off they both weight the same basicly. The funny car conversion you can throw as much power as it as you want and it's not flipping over backwards or ridding the wheelie bar so hard that it makes it go left or rite and flip over and crash or smacking the curb. You can realy tune this deal and throw monster power at it. From what I understand there's a few people around the country flying with these things. The best is it's 90% all traxxas jato parts.

RC Competitor
    im going to have to get one of those kits

RC Competitor
    basically I just want to set mine up completely for racing. I was gonna run nitrous but i heard thats a waste so just gonna go with higher % fuel for now and see how that does along with the foams. If that setup goes as plan I will put a carb and pipe on it.

RC Competitor
    forgot to mention I am having to redo my transmission... I am by no means an expert but i did my best to follow the dynamics of how the ports work on a two stroke engine and raised the timing on both intake and exhaust... it really kicks up top, hence destroying second gear... porting by far is the biggest performance gain you will see just be careful changing port timings

RC Competitor
    I talked with rich @ rlc hobbies today, gonna send my jato to him to get the conversion done and also going with the nx kit. Gonna install different axles & slipper clutch also and going with foams for the street, dirt hawgs for dirt.

RC Competitor
    let me know how the dirt hawgs do on the dirt track... i was going to use paddles on our dirt strip

RC Competitor
    Guess i'll be testing and letting y'all know soon if the NX system work.

RC Competitor

Anybody drag race jatos in NC?

Anybody? Checking the status to see who has the fastest jato in nc.

RC Competitor
    when are you starting your build?

RC Competitor
    Sent the car off today to be exact.

RC Competitor
    Once i recieve it back its off again to nx express for the nitrous kit. I think itll be one fast 3.3!!!!

RC Qualifier
    I'm in NC but not a drag racer. More of a basher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod

Quote Originally Posted by GoGetta View Post
    Once i recieve it back its off again to nx express for the nitrous kit. I think itll be one fast 3.3!!!!
    Don't expect your engine to last with a Nitrous kit.... When you add Nitrous you also need to be able to add additional fuel at the same time.. This is not done you get very lean conditions... That and you can not load up the combustion chamber when the intake ports and exhaust ports are open at the same time.

Before you go spending a wad of dough on upgrades that increase weight and destroy your engine, I'd do a lot more research... Feel free to post questions about how to get the most out of your Nitro engine. Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide kits are strictly for shelf queens, not performance... Put money in other things.

So you're talking about Drag racing right? Off the line straight driving on blacktop?

There are some excellent engine modder's out there. I do believe AB Mods is still handling the 3.3.. You can have it st up strictly for drag racing,,, but remember when this is done your bashing days with the same motor will be limited. But you can have an all raound performance mod done as well.

Excellent drag pipe would be one of the Outlaw pipes, I'd shoot them an email and inform them of your engine setup and they will dial you in with a good pipe... I have dealt with them and they make excellent pipes.. NOt impressed with the Buku pipes but I do like their clutches..
    Now after the power, you will need control, handling, and a driveline to handle it all, tires as well so you can hookup all that power. Suspension will also need to be dialed in as well.

Before you buy, search, post questions... This place has helped me bigtime... I'm not the greatest of racers but I love racing Nitros offroad, I've saved myself tons of money and gotten the best bang for my buck, a few mistakes down the road, but not as many as would have been without the research. I've learned to mod my own engines for the performance I like, but for compettition a pro mod job by a reputable modder is no comparison... RB mods is also a good engine modder.

Don't be fooled by people who are trying to sell you something, talk w/other racers and experienced nitro hobbyists to get the real facts.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Competitor
    i see just what your saying. the guy over at nx said the exhaust builds fuel pressure correct me im wrong im just quoteing what he said.

i see just what your saying. the guy over at nx said the exhaust builds fuel pressure correct me im wrong im just quoteing what he said.
    Yes but it does not increase the amount of fuel needed when you are adding Nitrous... Look at any REAL 1:1 Nitrous setups... They have an entirely dedicated fuel line w/sprayer tuned on by a solenoid at the same time the solednoid for the Nitous Oxide is injected...
    Even if you had the necessary extra fuel, it's still just going to blow out the exhaust port,,, the intake port and exhaust ports have a point where they are both open,,, not like a reed valved or 4 stroke engine that has valves...

Nitrous Express, RB Innovations,,,, both have nice atactive bolt ons that aren't worth it... I'll take an RB modd'd motor, or an AB modd'd motor, gear it right, set up the suspension, have a great exhaust and may even do som carb work.. Make it handle,, keep the aerodynamics good, not too much downforce, you want to get a littlesquat so you don't spin out, but then want it stiff enough to put the power to the road.

Do searching on any reputable Nitro RC forum... You will see the truth from guys who been there, done that..

I mod my own motors, I race offroad and have raced at state level comps, held my own OK... But, ask around here... I won't steer you wrong...
    Search,
    Read Up
    Save a pantload and get what you are desiring without financial failures...

Don't forget,,, lean engines run like a spanked monkey,,, right before the piston skirt breaks, conrod splits, bearings fail....
    Not to mention if your racing losing the race....
    Robin Williams

Since you've another post already about the same subject how about combining this so the Jato forum is not cluttered with repeated questions...
    Robin Williams

RC Competitor
    So basically a nice OS .21 motor would do all im looking for? Which is about 80+? Car is sent out now to get the conversion done.

RC Competitor
    Ok y'all have me covince into not spraying the jato. What big block motor will push my drag jato to speed of 85+ mph?

RC Competitor
    Gotta remember in a drag race it's about who can get from point A to point B the fastest.. you gotta consider the launch all the way through the finish line... So there's a bunch of small factors that have to be taken into consideration to get the fastest ET... I'll pm you my number so we can talk setups im getting into drag racing them myself so it's good to kinda have someone to venture in with... and for the record I plan on taking pride in running the 3.3 motor through research I think it has as much potential as any mill you can put in a jato... best of both worlds between a screamer and big block type torque/power.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kshoulde35 View Post
    Gotta remember in a drag race it's about who can get from point A to point B the fastest.. you gotta consider the launch all the way through the finish line... So there's a bunch of small factors that have to be taken into consideration to get the fastest ET... I'll pm you my number so we can talk setups im getting into drag racing them myself so it's good to kinda have someone to venture in with... and for the record I plan on taking pride in running the 3.3 motor through research I think it has as much potential as any mill you can put in a jato... best of both worlds between a screamer and big block type torque/power.
    AMEN.... BROTHER!!!

This should become a STICKY!!! Absolutely the most knowledgable statement I have read within the traxxas forum in quite some time!! Keep preaching my man. Lol.

Bswift
    FASTEST "recorded/proven" JATO'S-3.3 AND Big block

RC Qualifier
    Keep in mind...... You gotta "stick it" and more so than that,,,,,, it's gotta go straight!!!!!

You'll b amazed.

Bswift

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by bswift View Post
    AMEN.... BROTHER!!!

This should become a STICKY!!! Absolutely the most knowledgable statement I have read within the traxxas forum in quite some time!! Keep preaching my man. Lol.

Bswift
    Thanks but just looking to add to the wealth of knowledge that's already here... Great board here

RC Competitor
    Im tuning with 3.3 for now but time to step up the power.

RC Competitor
    Anybody know where I can get an outlaw motor from?

RC Competitor
    I'd be willing to race any motor with my 3.3.... os .21tm picco .26 just name it lol and im dead serious

Anybody know where I can get an outlaw motor from?
    Not outlaw motor,,,, Oh and I need to correct myself the exhaust I was referring to was ERCM, there was a group making similar stuff and then,,, there were these Plumber's specials, Outlaw pipes on Ebay made from copper plumbing... Definitely not talking about them..

Did some looking up these pipes are excellent and talk w/Snook man,.... He's got some experience with them. A good amount... http://www.extremercmods.com/pipes

Snook's building this for a 100 mph speed challenge...
    Robin Williams

RC Competitor
    Those pipes are bad I want one to go on my 3.3

Guess i'll be testing and letting y'all know soon if the NX system work.
    AS in your other 2 posts, this was discussed there...

Do you need to make a 4th post for your Drag Jato project?

Did you follow my advice and do some searching?

When you go do your testing, make sure you run at about 1/2 a gallon through it before you make your deductions..... :cool

I'm going to "MERGE" this thread with the other 2... Let's not clutter the forums with multiple posting on the same project OK?
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 03-18-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    Robin Williams

RC Competitor
    anybody have any vids of a drag jato taking down a 4 tec or any sand or dirt drags with the jato on paddles? i wanna see it sling some dirt lol

RC Competitor
    Man that thang is awesome! Would look better with some wide Slicks on the rear!

RC Competitor
    Why didn't i think about doing two motors for the Jato?

RC Qualifier
    Why didn't i think about doing two motors for the Jato?
    I've never seen twin engines driving a single trans ever successfully out perform any single engine within the Rc world. NEVER. Good theory though.

Bswift