RC Enthusiast

(DR-1) Charging battery

Hi all! I just finished unboxing my DR1, and am in the process of charging the battery for my first flight. Pretty excited

Question I have is this: I don't really like having to use my computer to charge the battery... what other options are there? Could I use the wall plug (with USB plug) that came with my iPhone? Or are there any (Traxxas approved) chargers available out there? Also, what about replacement batteries... Tower Hobbies has them for $14.49 plus shipping... is this a reasonable price??

In case you couldn't tell, I'm VERY new to the world of RC Helicopters, and even moreso to the world of LiPo batteries, so please be a bit patient with me

Thanks in advance!

--Kevin
    Newbie Helicopter Enthusiast

RC poster
    You can use the adapter that came with your phone.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the quick reply! That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure.

Also, in just checking the heli over before I start flying, I noticed that the tail boom has a slight downward bend to it, about 3/4 way down the shaft about an inch and a half before the tail fin. In all the pics I've seen of the DR1, the tail shaft is straight... The tail boom seems to be fairly stout so I don't think I bent it taking it out of the package so I'm kinda flummoxed.

--Kevin

RC poster
    Im sure traxxas will send you a new one but since it doesn't actually do anything It shouldn't effect flying.

RC Enthusiast
    Doesn't seem to affect the flying at all. Granted, I'm really new to this, but I was able to get it trimmed and hovering fairly easily on the first charge, and then had a good bit of fun just flying it around the living room and chasing the dog with it LOL. I'll probably upgrade to the blue anodized tail boom when they're in stock, so I'm not terribly worried about it.

Thanks again for the quick replies and the input!

--Kevin

RC poster
    No problem.

RC Enthusiast
    Well... that bent tail boom turned out to be a weak spot. The heli took a nasty tumble today (I finally switched to expert mode, and I was in over my head ), and the tail boom snapped, right at the bend.

Now comes the fun part... finding replacement parts in stock anywhere... Think I'll try to find the blue anodized one and the brace if at all possible. Bit disappointed, but at least the parts are cheap (if you can find them...). Still the most durable RC vehicle I've ever owned. I've run about 15 or more batteries through it before it broke anything. I've always been a bit rough on my RC's... with my Emaxxes, I usually break something every couple of runs, and with my 4x4 Slash I broke an A-Arm with the first pack LOL

--Kevin

RC Enthusiast
    Ugh... Emailing support is pointless... Got an automated response...

"Hi, this sounds like something we can help you with. Please call..."

Unless there's someone there at like 4am CST or on Sundays, it ain't happening. My work/sleep schedule is MUCH too crazy and fragile to attempt to stay up late over a silly little $5 part.

--Kevin

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, this is getting ridiculous!!! My DR1 has been on the shelf for nearly a month, waiting for a replacement tail boom!! The best answer I got from traxxas support was to pre-order the parts from my LHS to ensure I'd get them when they came in... The problem with that is that my LHS told me there were no user serviceable parts on the DR1 so there aren't any replacement parts available. They're not the brightest bulbs in the box. So I've been checking every website I can think of daily to order the parts and STILL no one has them!!! Not even on eBay. Tower Hobbies went from "Early March" to "on order" to "Mid/Late March". At this point, my heli has spent more time on the shelf than off, and I'm feelin like I've wasted my money. To say that I'm disappointed is an understatement. This will likely be the last traxxas product I buy.

RC Enthusiast
    ...and now, I'd like to say a quick thank you to Steve at Traxxas Support. Just got an email from him saying they're sending me a tail boom. Thank you Steve!

--Kevin