RC Enthusiast

battery questions Lipo & Nimh

Among other upgrades i'm looking at lipo's. But I have a (noob) question. A 2s lipo is 7.4 volts (i think). The NiMh packs I run are 8.4 volts. Because you get speed from volts, to me the 8.4 NiMh pack would be faster. But, everyone says the Lipos are faster.... I'm confused which is pretty normal, but a quick explanation would help me greatly. I'm not after monster speed but want to at least keep the speed and power i have.

2wd stampede, brushed titan 12T, 8.4 5000Mah Nimh packs and the 2.4ghz system.

Thanks,
    Terry

the nimh packs are at peak voltage of 8.4v for only a small amount of time while the 2s lipo 7.4v fully peaked charge will be 8.4v same as your nimh and will maintain that voltage for way longer than the nimh will. so if you get say like a spc 2s 5000mah lipo it will last longer on runtimes and faster speeds because lipo is about to supply more power during the whole pack unlike nimh drops the voltage and performance fast after like 5mins give or take. hope that helps if you need to know anything else post.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC poster
    Lipos are lighter than nimh cause of 2 cells instead of 6-8 cell on a nimh. Lipos also keep a constant voltage of 7.4 even near
    empty charge (which you should not go to). Nimh doesn't keep that constant voltage and its why everybody goes for lipos. Geta hard case to prevent damage towards lipos and charge them in a lipo bag (Personally i put a lipo bag inside a lipo bag to be
    safe) Also higher mah = longer run time

RC Champion
    +1 the other guys...in a nutshell, LiPos have a much higher discharge rating than NiMh.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Champion
    Just go lipo you won't regret it and WON'T go back.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Honestly... and please don't take offense... this question is only asked by those that have never used LiPo. I too, was leery of the benefits of using LiPo. I only went LiPo so I could charge more efficiently and was very pleasantly surprised in how they ran compared to NiMh.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    I have a 2wd slash vxl, what is the best size lipo? i have the fan on the esc but not on the motor, I want some crazy power, is 8400mAh 3c 11.1 volt too much?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Try asking that in the Slash section... you will get more specific and knowledgeable answers.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/forumdispl...-Traxxas-Slash
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.