RC Enthusiast

Traxxas Slash 2w bashing help

Hi I recently bought a Traxxas Slash 2w drive from hobby town to start off and learn on.Well as soon as I started jumping it the shocks werent very good.What I was wondering what should I upgrade first.I have a lipo battery venom 5000 and every thing else stock.I mostley bash but I have built a track with a table top and some doubles.

RC Qualifier
    Alum. shock caps, alum. caster blocks and rear hub carriers, rpm a arms, better tires
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

The shocks have a lot of adjustment spacers that come with the truck,you can go to Titanium Nitride shock shafts,as the stock ones tend to bend in hard unbalanced landings.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentj559 View Post
    Hi I recently bought a Traxxas Slash 2w drive from hobby town to start off and learn on.Well as soon as I started jumping it the shocks werent very good.What I was wondering what should I upgrade first.I have a lipo battery venom 5000 and every thing else stock.I mostley bash but I have built a track with a table top and some doubles.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    Yes I swapped out the one spacer it came with a other one.The tires it came with had pretty good tread on them for more of the terrian in my area, and I will look for alum shock caps.Thanks for the help.

Also how much would a extra body cost?Is it ok if I use my lipo untill its nearly dead recharge use and repeat or will it wear down the batt
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-10-2013 at 09:51 AM. Reason: merge

You need a lipo charger,or you will destroy a lipo in no time,you cant run a lipo dead.
    Also how much would a extra body cost?Is it ok if I use my lipo untill its nearly dead recharge use and repeat or will it wear down the batt

RC Enthusiast
    Well I bought a primal and I know it charges lipos because it has the lipo safe start button.But im guessing I can run it untill it needs charging charge it and use it.

The xl-5 has a lipo shut down mode,the light on the esc should be green,and the truck will drop to 50% power,then you recharge your lipo.If the light is red when you start,and you run it till it quits,your lipo is all ready done.
    I'm not sure I understand what your saying?Of course your battery can be recharged,but lipo's miss used are dangerous.
    Well I bought a primal and I know it charges lipos because it has the lipo safe start button.But im guessing I can run it untill it needs charging charge it and use it.

RC Enthusiast
    Well I know when using a Lipo battery on my slash I need to press and hold my power button down for about ten seconeds and it will use a mode for lipo batterys to not run completely dead so ya I havent ran it untill it was all the way dead.The eaysiest way I can put is can I use my battery over and over without it wearing down.Thanks for the help though.

Yes,used right,your lipo will last a couple years.
    Just make sure when you turn your esc on the light is green.
    Well I know when using a Lipo battery on my slash I need to press and hold my power button down for about ten seconeds and it will use a mode for lipo batterys to not run completely dead so ya I havent ran it untill it was all the way dead.The eaysiest way I can put is can I use my battery over and over without it wearing down.Thanks for the help though.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok and what should I do about my shock leaking?

RC Champion
    traxxas aluminum shock caps will fix that. add either traxxas or other non progressive springs front and rear and change the oil to like 50wt. it will not leak and will not bottom out so hard. handles bumps and jumps great. will help with traction and help prevent roll overs also. i did this in my old slash and my sons slash. very cheap. if you start thinkin about doing the tin shafts then just save a little and buy the traxxas aluminum big bore shocks. they are about 40 bucks on amazon i believe.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok that sounds goood. wanted to install some sway bars to.

RC Champion
    do sway bars last. some suspension tuning will take away a lot of sway. also i hear that sway bars are only good on smooth surfaces.

This is very true,I took them of my rough sct because it was clearly slowing me down.
    But still run a front bar on the oval,it only has one jump in the rear back stretch,and it helps there.
    Quote Originally Posted by redlightrandy View Post
    do sway bars last. some suspension tuning will take away a lot of sway. also i hear that sway bars are only good on smooth surfaces.

RC Racer
    Bashing no sway bars IMO. If you are a basher get the veilineon and follow post 2. I bash hard and the big bores have served me well. I had stock plus Tini shafts and still kept rippin apart shocks. Tires of course and a good tool kit to fix your mess

RC Enthusiast
    Ok no sway bars.My dad has the losi ten and it has sway bars pretty cool though, and I will look in to tuning my shocks.Oh and another thing,I was driving my slash when it finished charging and 4 mins later the batt started cutting out so that was strange but it would go again when I got closer to it .I was pretty close to it when it happened to.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok im sure it has some thing to do with my anttenne.

RC Racer
    I had a bad radio in my truck after 2 weeks. Traxxas replaced radio and receiver. Bit of a pain but they were great

RC Enthusiast
    I fixed the problem.What was wrong is that I hit a jump wrong (getting used to 2w) and it barrel rolled and bent it and eventually broke.So I pulled to wires together and used some electricall tape to hold it together, and it works fine now.