RC Competitor

Smoke, sparks, fire!!! ESC

I guess ESC stands for Exploding, Smoking and Crackling.
    I installed a brand new VX2 in my Emax 3906 only about 3 months ago. I have less than 2 hrs on it and
    today I tried running it but the green light immediately started flashing very rapidly. Steering worked but no power to the motors. I took it home and checked all the wiring. Nothing reversed or plugged in wrong.
    I turned it on and I noticed that the transmission servo was chattering a lot so I disconnected it from the
    receiver thinking it was shorting out and the cause of the problem. Within a few seconds the ESC
    started glowing underneath and then I heard a crackling noise. Before I could pull the batteries off, it
    popped with that sickening smell of "Did I just screw up?" type smoke exiting the ECS.
    I removed the ESC and underneath it I noticed something hard about the size of a pencil lead had pierced
    the plastic housing. So my question is:
    Any idea what happened?
    Is it under warranty? I bought it through EBay so do I send it back to the seller or send to Traxxas?

Thanks all for your time.
    Last edited by kirwinjd; 03-11-2013 at 01:02 AM.

RC Champion
    Man that sucks, sorry for your trouble.

Traxxas has a pretty good warranty program, I'd try them.

Post up some pictures, I'm curious about this hard pencil lead thing.

RC Champion
    Sorry man, would like to see pics of what happened...
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Competitor
    I feel like a dope for asking but can you tell me how to post a picture of the ESC?
    Thanks.

RC Champion
    upload a pic too a photo site, like flickr,photobucket, I use imageshack.
    Then copy the direct link of the photo, then on the go advanced icon under where you type your message, there is an icon that looks like a picture. Next to the one that looks like a film frame, click the icon and paste your copied link in the pop up box that appears.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Racer
    if something has pierced the esc casing good luck on getting warranty. they will either say it happend when you were bashing or that you damaged it on install. if its cracked the casing it may have mashed something internally and caused it to short out against it self causing it to melt and burn. earth crossing positive etc

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    upload a pic too a photo site, like flickr,photobucket, I use imageshack.
    Then copy the direct link of the photo, then on the go advanced icon under where you type your message, there is an icon that looks like a picture. Next to the one that looks like a film frame, click the icon and paste your copied link in the pop up box that appears.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...sting-Tutorial.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Champion
    That or, click

RC Champion
    All electronic components are built with a little bit of smoke inside them.....NEVER let that smoke out!!!

If you bought it off ebay, and it wasnt "Pierced" at the time, I wouldnt blame the seller. Several months have gone by, I doubt you're going to have any luck getting them to replace it anyway.

If I am not mistaken, you can trade it in to Traxxas for the replacement fee and get a new one. Thats going to cost you 50$.

In my humble opinion, you're going to have to pay for this one.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the input and help. Just to clarify, the ESC itself pierced from the casing from the inside.
    Ill try uploading the photo so you can see. It's impossible for anything to pierce it because its mounted flat onto the chassis.
    No holes there.

RC Champion
    this is the first time i've heard of the esc doing this, sounds like a component blew a hole in the casing. before it went to the big rc in the sky did you do any work on or near it.
    A metal tool on the heatsinks.

RC Competitor
    Negative. Check included photo.(thanks Zippogeek)
    All I did was unplug the servo controlling the transmission and that's when it took a poop.
    As I mentioned earlier I had it outside ready to go and the ESC was flashing green very rapidly.
    I then took it home to check it out and it was doing the same thing for about 2 minutes before it did its Rice Krispy impersonation.
    (Snapped, crackled and then popped)

RC Champion
    that's very weird indeed. i was expecting some melted black burnt hole.

RC Competitor
    It could only happen to me. I'm sure the traxxas support team will be just as perplexed