Thread: Pivot balls

RC Qualifier

Pivot balls

Should I have any grease in the steering block where the pivot balls go?
    The smartest person, asks the most questions...

RC Racer
    Most folks say no. I run some white lithium in mine and keep the blue seals intact.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    I put a little bit in too But the the cap shouldn't be tight enough to use any.
    Problems.The manual's good starting point. Simple

RC Qualifier
    What about for the steel driveshafts should I have grease in the dog bone joints
    The smartest person, asks the most questions...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dann117elite View Post
    What about for the steel driveshafts should I have grease in the dog bone joints
    I say no. I was my trucks with a car soap mixed into a 5 gallon bucket. I use a long bristled wheel brush to scrub them and then lightly rinse with a house or in the laundry tray. Once finished, I stand them on the bumper and allow them to drip until nearly dry followed by a quick shot of WD40 like spray (Amsoil version) of the dog bone joints to lightly line but mainly prevent that rust. I also use the end of the spray straw and just touch the exposed bolts to prevent them from rusting. After it sits a while, I wipe out down so that nothing remains wet with the spray.

Grease would be bad because it would allow gritty dirt and sand to mix in and rapidly accelerate wear and degradation.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Just say NO to the grease, get a bottle of graphite powder instead.
    Grease loves dirt, and dirt likes to turn grease into 80grt cutting paste, the graphite powder will not attract & hold onto the dirt.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    I just have a pocket oiler. Give them a drop after each run and cleaning

RC Qualifier
    PB blaster dry lube, works well, keeps the dirt off and doesn't attract it. I spray the whole truck down with it then just let it dry. It really helps with the maintenance as it doesn't attract dirt, and may I recommend an air compressor or some canned air, like for cleaning computers, to blow your truck off after you are done using it. Good luck and god bless.

Sent from my iPhone 5