RC poster

Couple questions on rebuild...

Hi everyone! Im new to the forum. I bought my T-Maxx 3.3 used and am rebuilding the motor. My questions are should the connecting rod touch the crankcase here:

The con rod has wear marks on the bottom and the case is scratched up a little. Gonna replace rod, but didn't know if case was ok. Other question is should I change the head gasket or is it ok?

On my Galaxy S3

That groove in the crankcase that the rod goes into is correct. It's a guide slot to keep that end of the rod on the crank journal while the motor's running.

Head gaskets can be re used as long as they aren't bent or distorted. Just make sure you tighten the head back down in a criss cross pattern.

You stole my flashlight BTW

RC poster
    Cool thanks. Thats kind of what I thought.

On my Galaxy S3

RC poster
    Also, it looks like crank bearings are 20 bucks on ebay but I can get a whole new crank case with bearings and backing plate for 25... and this sounds stupid but is there any advantage to keeping my seasoned crankcase for the rebuild or just get the whole new case?

On my Galaxy S3

No real advantage. Though if you want you could keep your block and get Boca or Avid bearings for $20-30.
    The Super Derecho

If you are going to rebuild the whole motor, new bearings, con rod, piston and sleeve, you'll have more money in it than just using the Traxxas ERP and getting a whole new motor for $110 or buying a brand new pulled 3.3 on ebay.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yeah, you can get a new motor for around 120 or less from ebay, you will spend more money rebuilding it, but if you doing it for fun go for it.