RC Racer

Bad ideas on rims and tires

I am obsessing over tires and rims for the summit. I also have an e-revo be and emaxx for which the tires can be used.

I found these rims that just are gorgeous!! I would get the optional 17mm hubs.

http://store.rc4wd.com/Cyclone-40-Se...eel_p_135.html

On top of that I really like the look of all of the 40 series tires.

http://store.rc4wd.com/40-Series-Tires_c_86.html

I am leaning toward either the rock crushers, mud slingers, or baja claws.

Any suggestions for general bashing as well as snow use? I am thinking the mud slingers for snow use and rock crushers for general bashing...

Any experience with these things??

RC Champion
    No experience with either, but my first thoughts about those wheels:

Wow expensive!
    Wow they will look horrible all scratched up, and I bet they'd get scratched up fast!
    Wow they sure are gorgeous though!

Not sure about the tires, sorry. I know there are a lot of youtube videos comparing different tires to other tires, if you haven't already - I suggest giving youtube a quick look! =)

If you get those wheels though, you certainly have to post pics!

RC Competitor
    I'm having a hard time with the thought running my Mickey Thompson beadlocks in the winter. I don't want to scratch them and have them eventually rust. I just scored a set of Axial narrow beadlocks off eBay so I'm going to grab a set of slingers for those to run in the snow, and depending on how they do, I may cut every other lug off..

I haven't run my baja claws in the snow (and doubtful they'll ever touch it since they're on the MT beadlocks) but I'm satisfied with them for general bashing in woods/grass. They're pretty new to the market it seems so there isn't much out there for reviews.
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    Those are nice rims! I like them but I don't know about bashing them, too heavy at 3/4 lb each. As for the tires I have all three of them. The only ones I would recommend for bashing is the baja claws, good on many surfaces with maybe 20% more grip than trenchers. The other tires are too tall and heavy for bashing. They are 1lb+ each! Rockcrushers with those rims would be an instant 7-8 lbs to your truck! I don't use my crushers that much because of the size and weight. (instinct, gotta have em buy) lol but my cut mudslingers is what I run for winter due to the extra clearance and traction they give but they dig VERY fast. Powder makes no difference but in grainy pack powder or wet heavy snow the lugs grab, pack, and grip. Icy snowbanks are great for them too as they grab the hard edges. HOWEVER... All that is only true when going slow. If it is deep snow and you punch it... you are going to have to go get it. They will chew everything out from underneath them almost instantly and leave you highsided. But going slow and tapping the throttle easily to kinda rock you forward they will take you places in the snow baja claws, trenchers, or big joes would never dream. Patience is the key in snow for mudslingers. (which I like actually) oh, btw they look awesome when you punch it quick to clean them out. They throw clumps of snow everywhere! IDK, it's only my 2 cents on the subject... it's your decision... I'm just giving ya some food for thought. Let us all know what you decide and your experiences.

RC Racer
    I think mashers and trenchers on plastic rims will be my bashing tires.

These rims will be for the mudslingers for crawling and running in the snow. The baja claws may be down the road.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicDragon View Post
    Those are nice rims! I like them but I don't know about bashing them, too heavy at 3/4 lb each. As for the tires I have all three of them. The only ones I would recommend for bashing is the baja claws, good on many surfaces with maybe 20% more grip than trenchers. The other tires are too tall and heavy for bashing. They are 1lb+ each! Rockcrushers with those rims would be an instant 7-8 lbs to your truck! I don't use my crushers that much because of the size and weight. (instinct, gotta have em buy) lol but my cut mudslingers is what I run for winter due to the extra clearance and traction they give but they dig VERY fast. Powder makes no difference but in grainy pack powder or wet heavy snow the lugs grab, pack, and grip. Icy snowbanks are great for them too as they grab the hard edges. HOWEVER... All that is only true when going slow. If it is deep snow and you punch it... you are going to have to go get it. They will chew everything out from underneath them almost instantly and leave you highsided. But going slow and tapping the throttle easily to kinda rock you forward they will take you places in the snow baja claws, trenchers, or big joes would never dream. Patience is the key in snow for mudslingers. (which I like actually) oh, btw they look awesome when you punch it quick to clean them out. They throw clumps of snow everywhere! IDK, it's only my 2 cents on the subject... it's your decision... I'm just giving ya some food for thought. Let us all know what you decide and your experiences.
    Did you ever try your mudslingers UNcut in the snow. I'm having a hard time with them no matter what the driving style. Does cutting them make a big difference? I'm considering doing it.

NOTErized!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun6 View Post
    I think mashers and trenchers on plastic rims will be my bashing tires.

These rims will be for the mudslingers for crawling and running in the snow. The baja claws may be down the road.
    Have those rims and mudslingers on my rig, rims are great but as mentioned to heavy for bashing. As for the mudslingers unless you are running in deep mud or snow they are not as good as they look, very disappointed in their grip on rocks or anything steep. When I get around to it am going with the Mickey Thompson
    http://store.rc4wd.com/Mickey-Thomps...ub_p_2123.html
    With a set of these
    http://store.rc4wd.com/Mickey-Thomps...es_p_2278.html

Think those will work out a lot better than what I have now, but you could put the claws on the rims you have mentioned.
    Endeavoring to persevere !

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Edstoys View Post
    Have those rims and mudslingers on my rig, rims are great but as mentioned to heavy for bashing. As for the mudslingers unless you are running in deep mud or snow they are not as good as they look, very disappointed in their grip on rocks or anything steep. When I get around to it am going with the Mickey Thompson
    http://store.rc4wd.com/Mickey-Thomps...ub_p_2123.html
    With a set of these
    http://store.rc4wd.com/Mickey-Thomps...es_p_2278.html

Think those will work out a lot better than what I have now, but you could put the claws on the rims you have mentioned.
    I like the added weight of that wheel/tire combo, truck feels planted. No action shots, only poser shots for now. Just picked up a drift ghost hd, working out how to mount it..

Last edited by mattinpa; 03-08-2013 at 10:51 PM.
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    Yeah those Mickey Thompson tires look awesome......

Decisions.....

RC Champion
    Nice gotta get me a set of those

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicDragon View Post
    I totally agree with the soft throttle control in the snow and i absolutely love driving in it. Slow and steady.

RC Enthusiast
    These are the tires that i prefer in the snow(on the yellow one), I tried the trenchers and they were horrible...not enough width to keep you on top of the deep stuff but good if there is only 2 inches or less.
    LOSI CLAW MT's
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by DeepFriedOprah; 03-08-2013 at 11:59 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun6 View Post
    Yeah those Mickey Thompson tires look awesome......

Decisions.....
    This is the only pic I have showing those rims with an older body. Tires are long sense gone because they where real bad as far as traction went. Might help with your Decision, just try to imagine
    those rims with Baja Claws or just go the whole Mickey Thompson route.

RC Qualifier
    Found a better pic of present day set up, for now anyway LOL

RC Qualifier
    Notice those rims are just shy of a pound each. Keep that in mind when making your decision.

For those of you using the mudslingers, I took the foams out and they crawl MUCH better. They get sloppy when you try and bash, but for 1st gear action/crawling the sidewalls have just enough give to really grab the terrain.

RC Competitor
    With the snow melting fast today in Pittsburgh, I decided against my better judgement to run the beadlocks and baja claws for a quick snow run. I charged up the lipo's, took it out back, ran for about 15mins, then realized I had no front axle movement. Great.. I drove it over, heard the clicking, did a quick assessment, decided, if it's grenaded, so be it, but I wasn't done. I ran for another half hour with 2wd (rear axle) only. The baja claws worked great, roosting snow everywhere. They clean out nicely when you get the wheels spinning.

This morning I also threw my dewalt 14.4 in that I've had sitting around. It was going to be my backup when the 775 went to lunch but I figured I'd use the dewalt as the primary and the 775 as the backup. I'm sure the combination of my excitement with the new motor/wheels/tires, I probably couldn't have deserved the diff issue any more. Oh well, all in good fun.

Anyways, turns out all I did was shear the front pinion gear in half right at the outer bearing. Diff side was completely intact. Fortunately for me, I've had the front end apart before to replace a grenaded diff so this time was a cake walk. I had an extra pinion in my tool box, threw it in and am back in business. If there's any snow left tomorrow, I'll try and get some video with my phone so you guys can see the baja claws in action.
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    I cut my mudslingers before I ever mounted them so I'm unable to give input about uncut. I also took the lugs I cut off and glued them together as pairs and then glued them to the sidewalls. I stand behind my opinion on how well the cut mudslingers are in snow when driven as I described previously.

RC Champion
    What rims are those?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    What rims are those?
    40 Series Axial 8 spoke beadlocks. They kinda stretch the beads cuz the Mudslingers are recommended for narrow rims but not too bad. Thought about cutting the rims down but I like to swap the Big Joes to these rims in summer. Wish I would have bought an extra set of Axial Rocksters back in the day cuz I broke one in a hard crash so I'm left with 2 good ones and a warped one. I joke with a buddy that has some that I'm waiting for him to break so I can buy the rest. Fingers crossed.

RC Champion
    A better bet would be to sell him YOURS, and move on to something similar and still available in the market!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    A better bet would be to sell him YOURS, and move on to something similar and still available in the market!
    Are you aware of any 40 series "narrow" beadlocks available anymore? I have looked and looked... finally just gave up.

RC Competitor
    Keep your eyes peeled on eBay. I snagged a brand new set (4) of Axial narrows (new in box) for $40.
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    Well, I just ordered a set of the rims and some Mickey Thompson baja claws. The mudslingers I wanted were out of stock.

With a beadlock rim I can swap tires relatively easily!!!