RC Qualifier

Rear wheel bearings only last one run!

Last weeks upgrade was aka 17mm adapters and rpm revolver stablemax rims. Balanced the wheels with shoe goo. Cause these are the trucks shoes... right? I've ran 3 packs now and twice the inner right wheel bearing was in 50 pieces and once the inner left. Traxxas alum carriers fyi. Is it the no name wheel bearings I had a ten pack of or that the wheel center is further away from the bearing amplifying vibration? I used to get a few months out of the same 10 pack of bearings. Now I need to get some, any thoughts? Better bearings?

I would say go for better bearings and strip the rear end down and have a good look to see whats is going on because that does not sound right at all......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    I've had the rear axles and bearings apart each run to replace them, I'm stumped. I don't like having to replace stuff every run like a 300mph drag car. Finally don't have to worry about stripping wheels, now this! Booooooooo. Going to place an online order to a bearing supplier now.

RC Qualifier
    im interested in this tread because i was about to buy the stablemaxx rims.
    And what do you mean you had to balance them with shoe goo??
    They arent balanced already like most rc wheels?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer View Post
    im interested in this tread because i was about to buy the stablemaxx rims.
    And what do you mean you had to balance them with shoe goo??
    They arent balanced already like most rc wheels?
    You don't have to balance them, but on these large wheels it shakes the truck to death if they are a little off at 60mph. It only took a couple pea sized blobs to balance them. Just like all full size cars have a few little weights on them. I found out my boring crawler has the same size wheel bearings so I'll try those tomorrow and report back.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    This is exactly why I run xo1 axles,hubs, carriers and its got 6mm axles that wont bend/snap like twigs. Your other option is Tekno... with 17mm Tekno hex. This gives the oversized bearings all around and a 6mm axle. Its a must if you want to bash hard with little maintenance. For a wide track, you can go with protrac/Tekno bones and cups/xo1 stub axles, hex, carriers, knuckle for the full alloy or Tekno protrac with Tekno composite parts. And of course full xo1 set up but that's a quick bash away from destroyed. The best I've had is Tekno/xo1 combo fir wide track and mt3 wheels. That's a monger and I've never bent up the drivetrain. I have destroyed Tekno kit, mip, and xo1, all fully trashed at one point. But the combo of Tekno/xo1 has worked awesome! This truck is about 8mm wider now but here's an example of over building to make it work right, last more than a few weeks. This truck is the best basher I have!
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the input. Its been a love/ hate relationship with this truck. Got almost a grand into it and it still has issues. I'm really considering putting slash wheels on it to be more reliable. Then starting over with your set up.

RC Qualifier
    I looked up the bearings I've been using. Its a pro tec 10pack of metal shielded clutch bearings 5x11x4. Another new one exploded after a 20 min 3s parking lot session. The rubber sealed bearing from the crawler was still perfect. Would it matter that those bearings are for a clutch and I'm using them as wheel bearings?

No not at all as long as they dont explode your problems should be over...peace

RC Qualifier
    I guess it was just bad quality bearings, 3 runs at full throttle offroad enjoying not having wheels strip with the new bearings.

Good man i though it was not right going through that many bearings SORTED.....peace