Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Dead...

I'm Dead...

Hey guys, I'm in shock right now. I just got my Slayer back together for the first time in 5 months, and I was out tunning it. Every thing was going well, I was really happy with how well it WAS running. I had just done a WOT pass, and I started to turn around. Right as it turned around, I hit the throttle. When I let off the throttle, my Slayer didn't... It held full throttle, so it started a WOT pass down my street. I tired turning and hitting the brakes, and nothing was working. So, at the end of my street there's a turn, and a house. My Slayer going full speed (+45mph) went up the drive way, and right into the garage door. I still can't believe how loud the crash was! It echoed! The impact killed the engine, and peices of my Slayer went flying EVERYWHERE. At first I didn't know what to do. Then my neighbores came out to see what that nosie was. I'm SO DEAD!! I just put a MASSIVE dent in a $5000 dollar garage door. My Slayer is pretty much dead for now, I can't even get the engine to turn over now. The bulkheads shattered, and the spur stripped out. I can't believe the front bumper didn't break. And I need to find out what caused the glitch in the first place. I don't know wait to do, I'm so scared right now I'm shaking. I have no idea who's going to fix the garage door, and how I'm going to fix my Slayer now, I'm broke. Wish me luck.

Here you can see the white paint from the garage door.

Last edited by Wolfslash16; 03-07-2013 at 09:44 PM.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Competitor
    O man that blows feel for ya:/ haha tires and wheels for sale? Haha jk

O man that blows feel for ya:/ haha tires and wheels for sale? Haha jk
    Well, you never know. I don't know what to do now. The engine won't turn over, and I have no money to fix any of it, and I just spent $40 TODAY to get it running.

RC Champion
    you have a picture of the impact?
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

you have a picture of the impact?
    No, I had to clean it up before I got a chance. I'll see if I can post a picture of the garage door tommorow.

RC Racer
    Omg and I thought my wrecks where bad

That will buff right out

Doesn't look like it hurt too much on the truck just the bulk and spur you mentioned. I know you were having trouble with the throttle linkages, are you sure it didn't stick on you again?

RC Enthusiast
    Hahahaha, I'm not the only one who visits my neighbours spontaneously

Last pic: It doesn't help you now but the brake linkage seems to be tightened alot with the grey "thingy" and not enough with the two screws by the brakepads. Or maybe it's just a side effect from your high speed parking.
    http://youtube.com/adolfss0n

RC Qualifier
    That stinks man good luck
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Competitor
    I would suspect that you had a battery (Rx or Tx) go bad. Truck doesn't look to bad (as log as chassis didn't get bent). Too bad to hear about the garage door though.

I would suspect that you had a battery (Rx or Tx) go bad. Truck doesn't look to bad (as log as chassis didn't get bent). Too bad to hear about the garage door though.
    Ya, I worried that the chassis is bent. I would be hard for it not to be bent for hitting the door at +40mph. I'm going to find out how bad the garage door is after school, and who is going to pay for it. I bet I'll have to, wish me luck.

I know that if someone else's truck hurled into my garage door the owner of that truck will pay. The homeowner is not going to eat it and stand to look at a dented door.
    BTW, I need a new garage door......
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Dude i am so Sorry about this... My luck goes with you!!! hope everything works out!

RC Champion
    Kill all witnesses and discard of the evidence.

Hahah just kidding. Should of had a throttle return spring on terr. I bet you will put a 50ceny spring on any nitro you run again

RC Enthusiast
    Looks like he has a throttle spring. If the servo decides to go full throttle crazy a spring won't help.

RC Champion
    I would have tried to make it roll over before it got to the end of the street. Anyways good luck.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC poster
    #1 rule on a nitro. Get a failsafe. There cheap

RC Qualifier
    How much for the truck ? It will help pay for the door repair
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

RC poster
    Sorry about the crash, just one question what are the four self-tapping screws in the nerf bars for ?????????

Sorry about the crash, just one question what are the four self-tapping screws in the nerf bars for ?????????
    Those are to hold the body in place, it really helps the body from flapping around while driving.

#1 rule on a nitro. Get a failsafe. There cheap
    That wouldn't of helped, the radio wasn't the problem. Everything on it still works, fresh batterys, and it was only about 25ft away from me when this happened. I have no idea what caused this though...

I would have tried to make it roll over before it got to the end of the street. Anyways good luck.
    I tried that. It didn't respond to anything. Makes be wonder what caused it, everything is working just fine now.

Here is a picture of the garage door. If you look closely at the picture, you can see tire marks on the door, and little bits of the bulkhead everywhere. It looks alot worse in person, the entire pannel is twisted and pushed in, the picture doesn't show any of that.

Last edited by Double G; 03-09-2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    Looks like you're buying a new panel for a garage door. If they try to charge you $ 5000 tell them you want to see what a new door cost. I had a new double garage door with new opener installed for $ 1800 with sensors

RC Champion
    So have they said anything about the door?
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

So have they said anything about the door?
    Nothing from them yet. I'm so worried.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Nothing from them yet. I'm so worried.
    For some reason I doubt they will say anything unless they know who did it. Maybe not even then unless maybe they know you well.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

For some reason I doubt they will say anything unless they know who did it. Maybe not even then unless maybe they know you well.
    I wish that was the case. They came out about 30 sec after it hit. They heard the sound when it hit. They know it's me, and I only live 1 house from them.

RC Champion
    I wish that was the case. They came out about 30 sec after it hit. They heard the sound when it hit. They know it's me, and I only live 1 house from them.
    Did they even say anything?
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

Did they even say anything?
    Ya, they said that they would talk about it today, so I'm not sure yet... They where mad, but not super mad.

RC Champion
    it didn't look too bad for being 40+ mph. You might be able to just replace the bottom section of the door. unless they replace it and make you work it off. That might be the best scenario.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Competitor
    That wouldn't of helped, the radio wasn't the problem. Everything on it still works, fresh batterys, and it was only about 25ft away from me when this happened. I have no idea what caused this though...
    If it wouldn't respond to inputs, that means you have a radio problem. A fail safe would have solved the problem.

Do not trust the radio you have installed. If it failed once, it will fail again. I hightly recommend you send the entire radio system (rx, tx, servos, switch, and battery) in to traxxas for a full check out.

I've been in RC (airplanes, electric buggies and now nitro) for over 20 years. I have seen radio fails many times and by everything you are saying you have a radio problem. Just to give you an example. Once I was doing a test flight on a friends airplane after he had rebuilt it from a crash. I did a full control check on the airplane to include a range check on the radio. Eerything worked perfectly. Just after takeoff the aileron servo reversed, needless to say the aircaft very quickly rolled into the ground and crashed. Now here's the tricky part... after the crash we did another check on the radio and everything worked fine.

He sent the radio in and the company found a cracked circuit board in the rx that was causing an intermittent fault.

Just my 20+ years experience 2 cents worth....

RC Enthusiast
    Isn't there a built in failsafe? I know my truck lets off the throttle when I turn off the radio.

RC Competitor
    The Traxxas radios (at least all of the ones I own) do not have a failsafe built in. My Airtronics does though. If I loose signal the steering goes straight and the brakes are applied. Of course if you have a RX or rx batery fail then your failsafe will not work.

RC Qualifier
    If they try to make you pay for the whole door refuse. Get a garage door company out there to see if just the panel can be replaced. Also I very highly doubt that the door cost $5000. Looked up 16' insulated doors and they were around $2000 and below.
    Last edited by Sierravmax; 03-09-2013 at 08:12 AM.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbluff View Post
    If it wouldn't respond to inputs, that means you have a radio problem. A fail safe would have solved the problem.

Do not trust the radio you have installed. If it failed once, it will fail again. I hightly recommend you send the entire radio system (rx, tx, servos, switch, and battery) in to traxxas for a full check out.
    All good points, though if the batteries fail or die that is not a radio issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbluff View Post
    The Traxxas radios (at least all of the ones I own) do not have a failsafe built in. My Airtronics does though. If I loose signal the steering goes straight and the brakes are applied. Of course if you have a RX or rx batery fail then your failsafe will not work.
    According to Traxxas,
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.4 Radio
    5-channel Micro Receiver with Fail-Safe Security
    The TQ 2.4GHz High Output's micro receiver fits easily into any vehicle, and features dual channel-1 outputs for easy installation in vehicles with dual steering servos—no Y-harness necessary! The integrated LINK button makes it fast and easy to bind the receiver, and the two-color LED indicates power-on and bind status for fool-proof control and convenience. Traxxas Link allows the receiver to recognize up to twenty TQ 2.4Ghz Traxxas Link enabled transmitters—just switch on and drive. In the event of signal loss due to an accidental switch-off or depleted batteries, the receiver will automatically return the throttle to neutral and hold the last commanded steering position. The Fail Safe programming is built-in and does not need to be set or activated.
    Quote Originally Posted by TQi radio
    5-channel Micro Receiver with Fail-Safe Security
    The TQi 2.4GHz micro receiver fits easily into any vehicle, and features dual channel-1 outputs for easy installation in vehicles with dual steering servos—no Y-harness necessary! The integrated LINK button makes it fast and easy to bind the receiver, and the two-color LED indicates power-on and bind status for fool-proof control and convenience. Traxxas Link Model Memory allows the receiver to recognize up to thirty TQi 2.4Ghz Traxxas Link enabled transmitters—just switch on and drive. In the event of signal loss due to an accidental switch-off or depleted batteries, the receiver will automatically return the throttle to neutral and hold the last commanded steering position. The Fail Safe programming is built-in and does not need to be set or activated. Three telemetry ports are incorporated in the 5-channel receiver to allow real-time data to be transmitted from your Traxxas model to the TQi transmitter.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    .....beautifull disaster replace some parts talk to your neighbors life goes on
    Jato 3.3,Slayer pro

Update: They got a bid on their garage door, and they said it would cost $1000 to "fix it right".

RC Champion
    that sounds like a full replacement to me....
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

that sounds like a full replacement to me....
    Most likely is. They have the right to fix it how they like... Guess we'll see f we will end up paying that much.

RC Qualifier
    you should personally get someone out there and get a quote... just saying....it sounds like they are coming up FAT

Get a copy of the estimate and ask for more than just one. Depending on the age of the door the panel style and color may no longer be in production.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Find out if their insurance will cover it. And it should then tell them you will pay off the deductible. I would also offer to do some extra work around their house just for the inconvenience. Even if the door was only a year old they have the right to get a complete replacement because the new panel will be a slight color difference. Go out of your way to make sure they are happy. This is why I don't run my nitro in town. Even though I have a fail safe and return spring. Only takes once to cost you a lot of money. Imagine what would have happened if you hit someone's kid at that speed. I hit the gf with my savage and we thought her leg was broken. She learned quick to stay put instead of moving when I was driving past