RC Qualifier

GOOD NEW motor combo under $200.00 for me?!!?!?!

so the 8 month old velineon just froze, the bearing in the motor exploded and sent schrapnel thru the whole motor, wont even turn now, the guy at the hobby shop just said to me yesterday, better change that bearing b4 it explodes and freezes up the motor, maybe i should listen to those guys more often.LOL. so i'm 14 years old and dont have alot of money to spend, if traxxas replaces the vxl system 4 free, i could sell it nib and get a castle for under or slightly over what i sold the vxl for, is there any good castle motor that wont run hot and i want the most out of my 2s lipos, i might upgrade to 3s lipos this summer when i have a job, but for now i'm kaputtt,i'm just throwin this around, any ideas or suggestions, i'd like it if you or a friend own the combo and know a fair amount about it.
    Thanks,
    Adam Clauss
    RACE IT, BREAK IT, FIX IT, REPEAT!

RC Racer
    The Castle 3800 KV 1410 is a pretty popular choice, specially running on 2s. Only thing you will have to get an ESC capable of running it because the stock ESC doesn't handle 4 pole motors very well. I had the 2400 kv version to start but swapped motors because it ran more efficiently on 3s and I mostly use 2s. Hope that helped.

RC Competitor
    2s castle mamba max pro sct Edition with 3800kv motor ..... 3s and 4s castle mamba max pro with 2400kv

IDK, I would not count on Traxxas replacing an 8-month-old non-lifetime-warrantied motor. If they do, good for them (and you.) If it were my business you'd be outta luck. Would the lack of a free replacement change your budget?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    What 3800 4pole is good for 3s?? The new one?
    Everything overpowered...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QYKSLVR View Post
    What 3800 4pole is good for 3s?? The new one?
    the sidewinder 3800 can handle 3s on a lighter truck, like the 2wd pede/slash/rusty/bandit. I was running it in my Big Block Merv. That combo doesn't keep cool at all in a 4wd with 3s. It wasn't even liking 2s much in a 4wd.lol. CC's 3800 will come alive when paired up to a MMP on 2s or 3s. The pro has a smooth power delivery and handles up to 6s in power, so it can channel plenty of power ti the motor while keeping its cool running temps.
    I agree with the above info; 2s-mmp/3800 combo or 3s/4s- mmp/2400 combo.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    if i dont get the motor replaced i might just sell the moneypit, i'm broke right now, but i hope i get the moor replaced so i can sell it or put it in in time for spring break april 1st, were going to florida, can i use the tqi and reciever with a cc system,the mmp is quite expensive, anyone know how the sidewinder 3 is!?

RC Racer
    MMP w 2400kv right around $200 if you shop around, I run 3s, looking at getting a 4s just try for some speed runs as well.
    Stampede 4x4 vxl w/ MMP/2400kv, Mini E-Revo

Or try a hobbywing sc8 esc 120a and tenshock v2 3400kv 4 pole 550 motor will run on 2s and 3s no problems or if you want mental go castle 2400kv .......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    the sidewinder 3800 can handle 3s on a lighter truck, like the 2wd pede/slash/rusty/bandit. I was running it in my Big Block Merv. That combo doesn't keep cool at all in a 4wd with 3s. It wasn't even liking 2s much in a 4wd.lol. CC's 3800 will come alive when paired up to a MMP on 2s or 3s. The pro has a smooth power delivery and handles up to 6s in power, so it can channel plenty of power ti the motor while keeping its cool running temps.
    I agree with the above info; 2s-mmp/3800 combo or 3s/4s- mmp/2400 combo.
    Im going to be slapping the SCT 3800/MMP in my Rally. Will it perform?

RC Qualifier
    just called trx customer support, i will have to send in motor and 35 bucks + 5.00 shipping and they will replace motor, but i'm broke and in 3 weeks my family leaves to go to florida, i was thinking it would be so fun, but i'm sitting in my living room crying cuz i have no job and no $$$$$$$ and my parents refuse to get in the middle of me and my "moneypit"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im going to be slapping the SCT 3800/MMP in my Rally. Will it perform?
    With stock gearing it will be rapid on 2s and 3s....peace

RC Qualifier
    I would reccemend the castle mmp sct combo if you got the bucks...if not then go with the 3800!
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Champion
    I dont know why everyone steers away from the Sidewinder SCT 3800 combo for these 4x4s! Its a SUPER awesome combo and hauls!!!

I have mine geared so low (11/54) and it still runs like a bat out of hot places!

Any castle motor combo for the 1/10 scale is an upgrade from the traxxas system IMO- 2 pole vs 4 pole

Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    I dont know why everyone steers away from the Sidewinder SCT 3800 combo for these 4x4s! Its a SUPER awesome combo and hauls!!!

I have mine geared so low (11/54) and it still runs like a bat out of hot places!

Any castle motor combo for the 1/10 scale is an upgrade from the traxxas system IMO- 2 pole vs 4 pole
    You are on the money dude but if he gets mmp esc he has more choice of motors if he fancy's a change down the line.And 4 pole rocks i am never going 2 pole ever again because i am addicted to torque and speed......peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    My sidewinder esc runs hot on 3s with a fan that's (in my p4de) why I don't reccomend it...maybe 2s with a fan

RC Champion
    Is your Sidewinder the SCT or SV2? Probably makes a difference. But I will definitely pair it with the MMP.

Redsawacs you also bring up a very good point. 4-pole over 2-pole of the Velineon

Im asking because I not buying the combo. I already have the MMP. just waiting on a 3800 from a trade on RC-tech.

Ive come into 3 Castle ESCs this month and absolutely love them. A SV2, SV3, and MMP. I only previously had experience withe the MMM in my Pede, an the ERBE.

Im asking because I not buying the combo. I already have the MMP. just waiting on a 3800 from a trade on RC-tech.
    I have that combo in my Pede 4x4 and am very happy with it. Plenty of torque good speed and cool temps running on 2s. Just a good all around bashing set up IMO. I am sure I could run 3s if I wanted more speed.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    I have the sv2 and its probably 3 years old

Is your Sidewinder the SCT or SV2? Probably makes a difference. But I will definitely pair it with the MMP.
    Sidewinder SCT and Sv2 only have different decals. Technically they are the same.
    Nobody is born with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by atclauss View Post
    just called trx customer support, i will have to send in motor and 35 bucks + 5.00 shipping and they will replace motor, but i'm broke and in 3 weeks my family leaves to go to florida, i was thinking it would be so fun, but i'm sitting in my living room crying cuz i have no job and no $$$$$$$ and my parents refuse to get in the middle of me and my "moneypit"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Well my friend, let me give you a little advice. You have to get creative to make some money, mow lawns wash cars or ask your parents if there is anything you could do around the house to make some money. If you think about it, you will find a way to make $40.00. I believe in you!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

Dude get a saturday job you will be more proud of your truck knowing that you made it with your own money....peace

RC Qualifier
    ive put every penny in to the truck, the padres are loaning me 40 bucks and i will "REPAY" them with love and a great son, or in 20-30 years when i hope i'm rich!but i am just going to put the motor they send back as the 3500 in and get a good time out of florida, i'll post pics, then when my vxl 3500 breaks i buy castle 3800, can i run that with vxl 3s or do i need mmp?!

s i buy castle 3800, can i run that with vxl 3s or do i need mmp?!
    VXL-3s is known to have issues with 4 pole motors. MMP is a good choice for that motor but not the only one. I would suggest something other than the VXL for that motor though.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    ive put every penny in to the truck, the padres are loaning me 40 bucks and i will "REPAY" them with love and a great son, or in 20-30 years when i hope i'm rich!but i am just going to put the motor they send back as the 3500 in and get a good time out of florida, i'll post pics, then when my vxl 3500 breaks i buy castle 3800, can i run that with vxl 3s or do i need mmp?!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Sidewinder SCT and Sv2 only have different decals. Technically they are the same.
    Okay. Thank you. I was unaware of that. Are the new SCT waterproof or only the SV3?

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I have that combo in my Pede 4x4 and am very happy with it. Plenty of torque good speed and cool temps running on 2s. Just a good all around bashing set up IMO. I am sure I could run 3s if I wanted more speed.
    Well, I plan to keep it at 11/54, because this motor has the 3mm shaft so I can re-use the stock gear. I think it will stay cool on 3s yea? I dont run the same all the time. I may start offroad, then after 5-8 minutes find something to jump, or bust on the road for a few.

Mine is geared 17/54 but I am on much smaller G-Loc tires.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Dad i bet your pede is very quick dude ....peace

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    If your really hurting for cash, dont worry about 3S... its just going to cost you more money.

A 3800kv castle motor is an EXCELLENT choice for the stampede 4X4 on 2S. I wouldnt bother with the 2400kv motor as you dont have enough money to buy 3S packs anyway. The 2400 also really does need to be run by the MMP ESC... whereas the 3800kv CAN be run by the Sidewinder 3 or SCT... everyone always says to get the MMP, and I dont disagree that its the best choice, but they seem to be forgetting that your REALLY tight on cash. The SCT or SV2 or SV3 ESC's will run the 3800kv motor on 2S with reasonable gearing no problem. You can always add a fan to it if you find the ESC is getting hotter than youd like. The motor will not be a problem unless your running in grass alot. For normal hard surfaces it will power the Pede 4X4 very nicely. I run this motor in my rally and its great.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Seems I'll need to invest in a 2s for the 3800. it doesnt like 3s? SPC here I come again...

RC Qualifier
    i just sent the velineon back to traxxas yesterday, it is expected there thursday,(tomorrow) and i hope i can get it back before the 28th of april cuz i leave the 29th, i can wrench on the road tho. do you guys think it will be in by then, i'm going to just run the vxl until it fails again then possibly buy a castle! i sure hope the motor gets fixed in less then 3 days, i think shipping up here to michigan from trx takes round 4-5 days(i hope)

RC Champion
    Turnaround is 3-5 days I think, and then 5-7 business days shipping. Should be there long before April 28th hopefully.

RC Qualifier
    I hope so, and thanks for the quick reply