RC Champion

Angry FLM Bulks -- frustrating!!

Got my FLM Combo bulks today. Excellent machine work...but no directions! Not even a diagram. Come on, FLM! $120 and I don't even know what this pile of screws is for! The bulks are supposed to screw on with four cap screws, but there are only 3 included with each bulk.

Really, how hard is it to provide at least some pictures of an assembled, mounted bulk? Lazy, lazy, lazy...

I'm sure I'll figure it out...eventually
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    join the crowd! we went through the same thing! i ended up using my own screws some of them didn't make sense !
    do you have shims to shim it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the three screws are for holding the bulks in on piece, two at the bottom, one on top, there is a small pin thats goes in one of the holes between the two bulks halfs. Pay attention to the orientation of the diff in the stock bulk, it has to be in the same direction. The install is straight forward, I didnīt have any issues with the install.

RC Qualifier
    Hey Zippogeek, what I realized is that when I got my package, I was missing some screws. I had to call FLM twice and they were right on the ball in getting me more screws. I bought the bulks in pairs, a front and a rear. Both bulks had screws missing, and so the second time I called FLM, they essentially just sent me a whole new set of screws that are supposed to come with the bulks. After playing around, and asking around, what I figured is that the longest screw ( which one of my bulks only came with 1 ) was the screw type and length that is supposed to bolt these puppies together. That is what made sense to me. With a slight excess sticking out the screwed in end. Like 50togo, I used my own screws, titanium ones. And yes, now somebody correct me if i'm wrong please, but the way the bulks get screwed together is that you insert the screw into the non threaded hole and then proceed to screw into the other side that has threads in it. That is what makes sense to me, but I could be wrong, never know with these things. I also spoke with Jamie from FLM and he told me to be very careful and slow when screwing these bulks.

And I'm posting this in another "reply" because of the importance of what I am also about to touch upon what 50togo said. YOU NEED TO SHIM these. Here is an excellent video on the shimming of these bulks along with which HPI shims you will need, this was very very helpful to me :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv7HH1CevwE

I needed two packets of those HPI 86598 Washers 13x16x0.2mm, they come 10 in a pack,

And also, while we are at it with these FLM Ultimate bulks, ( Mine are assembled but I havn't run then yet because I am still building that particular EMAXX ), is it wrong to have the bearings with the "exposed" side facing away from the bulks. I figured if I swap the orientation of them around so that the sealed side faces away from the bulks that it would help in keeping the dust and debris out of the moving part of the bearings. In the pictures above I see that the blue side faces away from the bulks. Also, with the stock bulks, I know the diffs face oppisite directions, same goes when planting these diffs in the bulks, right ?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-08-2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the bearings should be sealed on both sides, mines are. The diff sits on the same side as the stock ones are.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 03-07-2013 at 07:03 PM.

RC Champion
    Guys, thanks a million for all your help. I'll try again tonight. Glad I'm not alone in this...

RC Champion
    Well, the latest is that I figured out where some of the grubs go. But once I was done putting the bulks together and attaching the A-arms, I had a pile of leftover screws big enough to take to a scrapyard.

The good news is, when I turn the spur gear, everything rotates in the proper direction.

Theoretically.

I hope.

Now I have to reassemble the servos and steering assembly, of which I took numerous pictures. After that I'll re-wire the Rx and ESC and I'll be 99% finished.

Good to hear you figured it out....
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    would you guys know if these bulkheads would work,

non-hybrid http://www.fastlanemachine.net/prodd...LM17001&cat=15
    Stampede 4x4 vxl w/ MMP/2400kv, Mini E-Revo

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Those would work but not nearly as strong