Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LiPo

RC Qualifier

LiPo

My first 5000mAh/30C/2S LiPo is on the way. Can't say, I'm not a bit excited.
    Let's Get Dangerous - "DWD"

RC Qualifier
    shall be fun my friend

RC Champion
    best upgrade. more power and acceleration not to mention longer runtime than nimh batteries

Be prepared to be amazed. Now you'll need a lipo-ready charger.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    got a traxxas wall charger for now=6.5hr charge time - but i will upgrade later on

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Be prepared to be amazed. Now you'll need a lipo-ready charger.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rc_REV View Post
    got a traxxas wall charger for now=6.5hr charge time - but i will upgrade later on
    Is it a LiPo charger?

RC Qualifier
    yep for 2s/3s at 800mAh - its the base model - http://traxxas.com/products/parts/ch...ipo2s3scharger

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Is it a LiPo charger?

Unfortunately you won't enjoy the lipo until you have a charger able to charge it up in a short time. You'll also need a wheelie bar. Lol.

RC Qualifier
    unfortunately, i agree

Unfortunately you won't enjoy the lipo until you have a charger able to charge it up in a short time. You'll also need a wheelie bar. Lol.

Post up a vid of your Slash with the power upgrade (lipo).

Have to go with O.G. here REV.
    Even if you start with an onyx 235 for $89,it will charge a 5400mah 2s,in just over 30 maybe 40 minutes max.
    You will go crazy waiting for that thing to charge,once you start to see the lipo lite.
    Imo lipo's have brought new life to the rc hobby.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    will do but it will be in a few weeks after we get back from vacation. which is where i will be running the Lipo for the first time.

will it actually cause that much of a difference that a wheelie bar might be needed.

Last edited by cooleocool; 03-08-2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: merge

On 2s the slash will be OK,unless it gets a good bite into something,you pretty much have to work on the slash lifting the front end,as the truck wasn't really made to be a wheelie truck.
    At least for me,now on 3s,it will come up at will.
    will it actually cause that much of a difference that a wheelie bar might be needed.

RC Qualifier
    sounds good cause i wasn't looking for a wheelie machine

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    On 2s the slash will be OK,unless it gets a good bite into something,you pretty much have to work on the slash lifting the front end,as the truck wasn't really made to be a wheelie truck.
    At least for me,now on 3s,it will come up at will.

RC Racer
    Depends on how you are geared, tires and how you tuned your slipper clutch. Stock gearing is 23/86 out of vxl box and with stock tires I do not wheelie unless the slipper clutch is tightened all the way. If I have other tires slingshots or my duratrax lockups it will wheelie pretty well. I don't have a wheelie bar but you learn to control it.

Best part about LIPO is same throttle response from beginning to end. Have fun on vacation!

RC Qualifier
    currently 19/86 (meant to put the 90 back on but forgot), slipper 3/4 to one turn from being totally tight, tires brand new trenchers.

You'll be fine,with a full charge,the 3000mah NiMh for the first couple minutes has as much,maybe more punch then a 2s lipo,8.4 to 7.4.volts.But weighs twice as much.
    The biggest difference you will see,is what N,p said in post 15,you will keep the steady power range to lvd,and three times more run time.
    After a while you might be able to notice a slight drop,but nothing major.
    The vxl shuts the lipo to 50% at 3.5pc or 7 volts,and if you don't stop it shuts the system down at 3.2 pc or 6.4 volts
    currently 19/86 (meant to put the 90 back on but forgot), slipper 3/4 to one turn from being totally tight, tires brand new trenchers.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 03-08-2013 at 08:50 PM.

RC Racer
    What quick charger would be recommended for lipo and nimh? I would like a quickly, a multi pack charger. I have read about balance charging etc.etc. I know nothing in regard to lipo so I need guidance.

What do you call quick,and what price range?
    Quote Originally Posted by mml665 View Post
    What quick charger would be recommended for lipo and nimh? I would like a quickly, a multi pack charger. I have read about balance charging etc.etc. I know nothing in regard to lipo so I need guidance.

RC Racer
    I would call quick 20 min - 40 min? $125-200?

Here check this sight out,it will give you an idea of whats out there,at twenty minutes, you will have to spend that plus,forty minutes is a lot less.
    But you allays want the best charger you can get.
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...ttery-Chargers
    I would call quick 20 min - 40 min? $125-200?

RC Racer
    What are opinions of the thunderpower dc tp1430c charger it seems that it can charge only one battery at a time. Which if it is a quick charge shouldn't be a problem. The reason I seek advice is because I have absolutely no knowledge about lipo chargers or batteries. When I ask at the LHS sometimes I get steered toward just the most expensive product not the best fit for my needs. Another concern for me is ease of use as my nine year old will want to be able to use it, maybe not right away but eventually I want to know he and his sister will be safe as long as they are aware and taught how to properly use the system. Also I understand there are hard case and soft case lipo batteries what is the significance of their differences and which are recommended?

RC Qualifier
    the charger is in and the Lipo is due to arrive tomorrow

RC Racer
    What are opinions of the thunderpower dc tp1430c charger it seems that it can charge only one battery at a time. Which if it is a quick charge shouldn't be a problem. The reason I seek advice is because I have absolutely no knowledge about lipo chargers or batteries. When I ask at the LHS sometimes I get steered toward just the most expensive product not the best fit for my needs. Another concern for me is ease of use as my nine year old will want to be able to use it, maybe not right away but eventually I want to know he and his sister will be safe as long as they are aware and taught how to properly use the system. Also I understand there are hard case and soft case lipo batteries what is the significance of their differences and which are recommended?
    First, hard case lipos. Batteries take a beating just like your truck. The hard case is absolutely more protected from puncture and wear from being handled, used, charged and toss into your bag like i do. S hard case all the way. I have 1 soft case and I barely ever use it.

Chargers I only have experience with onyx 235 and 245. 235 is faster and can charge at higher amps and the 245 can charge 2 at a time at 5 amps if my memory serves. Both are quite easy to use and fairly fool proof.

My 7 yr old knows the steps to charge. What buttons to press and how to handle the battery and charger. It helps I have a charger area on my bench that is away from things and won't get something tossed on it or near. His problem is he has a tough time removing the battery connectors to the charger and the esc so i do that part. So we are holding off till he can safely do that and that is not anytime soon.

I will say that the charger does get warm while charging, the batteries do not. What I have done is nailed two wood strips to my bench for the battery to rest on and allow some air to circulate. I also have a small fan that I pointed toward the charger to cool it a bit. Probably me being paranoid but I feel better. Especially when I am charging 8 packs back to back to back.

I have no other experience with other chargers.

Maybe this helps,

WOW,I don't have that kind of patients,sure hope you enjoy them,I know you will.
    the charger is in and the Lipo is due to arrive tomorrow

RC Qualifier
    i prob dont either but will get a better charger in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    WOW,I don't have that kind of patients,sure hope you enjoy them,I know you will.

RC Qualifier
    There are a lot of cheap chargers around, you have to spend a little more if you want to do over 5 amps, but most 5a chargers can be had for pretty cheap. (I actually just bought a 10a charger and power supply for $70)

It is best to get a nice charger and batteries first so you don't waste your money on multiple chargers and batteries because they were crap to begin with. It may cost you more, but its worth it..

Like this one(venom 5a with power supply) $60+shipping
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...w-Power-Supply
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    quick ?, I just charged my 5600mah 50c 2s lipo on my new hitec charger and it ended at 8.14v is that good I thought it was supposed to be around 8.40v

RC Qualifier
    Almost to Georgia, we will be here for a few days, then finally to Florida. Me n the boys are ready to run these things in warm weather.

Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    quick ?, I just charged my 5600mah 50c 2s lipo on my new hitec charger and it ended at 8.14v is that good I thought it was supposed to be around 8.40v
    When charged fully a 2S LiPo should be very close to 8.40 Volts. 8.14 Volts is NOT "very close." Check any pack with a voltmeter/multimeter to verify charger readings.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    When charged fully a 2S LiPo should be very close to 8.40 Volts. 8.14 Volts is NOT "very close." Check any pack with a voltmeter/multimeter to verify charger readings.
    Thanks, I hit it w/ a balanced charge and it ended at 8.4

Almost to Georgia, we will be here for a few days, then finally to Florida. Me n the boys are ready to run these things in warm weather.
    I brought my rc's to Florida too!
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    Good luck with it.... i also wanted to add that i'm happy with my onyx 150 lipo charger... about 40-50 mins for a 2 or 3 cell lipo

RC Qualifier
    Thanks jack, n man the velineon does come alive with Lipo. Alot of fun tonight n thankfully nothing broken sofar.
    Especially with the 15 ft front flip out of a retention pond onto the street. Almost forgot to check the motor temp. Not use to running in 75 degree weather.

RC Qualifier
    double post
    Last edited by Rc_REV; 03-17-2013 at 08:54 PM.

RC Qualifier
    where all did u get to run yours at Kd

Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    I brought my rc's to Florida too!

RC Enthusiast
    If your batteries are not LiPo, then get the onyx 200 charger... charges in 45 minutes, and is pretty cheap. Even if they are LiPo... I think that the onyx charger will still work.

RC Qualifier
    i have a quick charger for my Nihm's, but got a slow traxxas base model charger for Lipo(for Now), but man was it a nice power difference going from Nihm to 2s

Quote Originally Posted by jetsarethebest View Post
    If your batteries are not LiPo, then get the onyx 200 charger... charges in 45 minutes, and is pretty cheap. Even if they are LiPo... I think that the onyx charger will still work.

RC Racer
    I don't think the 200 onyx will charge lipo. 150 yes it will 200 strangely enough does not. At least not balanced which everyone knows isn't real smart, safe or reasonable.

My buddy has the 150 and he has 3 lipos so it serves him well.

RC Qualifier
    I will hopefully be able to put up some video on Monday. Not sure if it will be good i thought I'd have a few others go with us to video, but just me n my sons. So I will see what I got.