RC Champion

30th Grave Digger LED's

I got some awesome news, after about 2 months owning this thing the LED's on the skull on one side burnt out. Anyone know Traxxas's policy on LED's? Do you think it's worth contacting them about?
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Competitor
    Are you sure it not a wiring problem. LEDs rarely burn out...
    MrTLV

Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTLV View Post
    Are you sure it not a wiring problem. LEDs rarely burn out...
    Looked at the wiring everything looks intact the way ti always was. When I was driving the truck they started ti flicker and then just went dead.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Competitor
    That makes me wonder also, when an LED burns out they don't flicker they just go out. You can connect it directly to a battery and test the individual LEDs.
    MrTLV

Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    That makes me wonder also, when an LED burns out they don't flicker they just go out. You can connect it directly to a battery and test the individual LEDs.
    Well I'm not gonna cut it unless I can get a replacement. I'm just wondering if it's even worth trying.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Competitor
    You can pick up individual LEDs at any electronic store like Radio Shack. They don't cost much.

There are ways to test the LED without cutting the wires. Can you follow the wires to the power source and disconnect it? Then reconnect it to a 9v battery. You will have to make sure you connect it with the correct polarity, if you connect it backwards it won't hurt it, it just won't work. So try connecting it both way to make sure it's not the LED (Light emitting Diode).
    MrTLV

Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    Found the problem some how a wire pulled out of the plug that connect to the connector coming from the ESC. Have no idea how to get it back in and it seems like there is no way to get them out either.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Competitor
    I'm not sure what kind of connector that is, but there has to be a way to reconnect it. Post some pictures so we can see what it looks like.
    MrTLV

Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    I couldn't get a good picture of mine but here is a picture of the plug if it helps any. But mine has 4 wires going into it instead of 2 so its pretty tight fit.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That makes me wonder also, when an LED burns out they don't flicker they just go out.
    Actually, they do in some cases... But this is not one...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Competitor
    There should be a little tab on the socket or pin that goes in the plastic connector. You should be able to bend it back out an use a small screwdriver to push it back into the connector. Good luck...
    MrTLV

Stampede VXL

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    Actually, they do in some cases... But this is not one...
    Actually, the only way an LED can flicker is when the voltage going to it fluctuates. Since an LED doesn't have a filament they are illuminated solely by the movement of electrons in a semiconductor material.

LEDs have several advantages over conventional incandescent lamps. For one thing, they don't have a filament that will burn out, so they last much longer. Additionally, their small plastic bulb makes them a lot more durable. But the main advantage is efficiency. In conventional incandescent bulbs, the light-production process involves generating a lot of heat (the filament must be warmed). This is completely wasted energy, unless you're using the lamp as a heater, because a huge portion of the available electricity isn't going toward producing visible light. LEDs generate very little heat, relatively speaking. A much higher percentage of the electrical power is going directly to generating light, which cuts down on the electricity demands considerably.
    MrTLV

Stampede VXL