RC Enthusiast

Newbie needing a few pointers

Bought a stampede vxl 2wd about 2 months ago and I'm looking for some pointers on upgrades I'm a basher from what I can tell and looking for some pointers on suspension, bodies, tires possibly even an aftermarket motor/esc combo(waterproof preferably) any tips will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance

FOr motor and esc
    Go with a castle sv3 and 3800kv motor but since yours is vxl I dont think you will need it..

For tires it depends on the surface you run on
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Pede_bashe_nube View Post
    Bought a stampede vxl 2wd about 2 months ago and I'm looking for some pointers on upgrades I'm a basher from what I can tell and looking for some pointers on suspension, bodies, tires possibly even an aftermarket motor/esc combo(waterproof preferably) any tips will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance
    Ya if you already have vxl i wouldnt bother. Would be a waste of money imho. Get some aluminum caster blocks (either traxxas or strc), rpm plastic a arms, bearing carriers and maybe rpm skid plates. Top of the list for must have upgrades is a front bumper. I use the rpm front bumper and lots of guys use the slash front bumper. Either way just get something on there! That will save you more times than you will count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kid at heart......and always playin around

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Welcome to the Forum!!!

What battery chemistry are you running? Nimh or Lipo? You can really wake the stock system up on Lipo if you havent. You can move up to a 2S Lipo, this will keep a strong powerband till LVD/LVC. If you don't have Lipo I'd highly suggest picking up a good charger. Something like the Dynamite Passport, Racer's Edge Surecharge 2010, or etc. Anything around $100 or more takes very good care of your packs. For Lipo i'd suggest SPC (Spec Point Concepts). They have a nice 2S 5000mah 30c for $27.95. This is a really nice price for a pack of this quality.

I'm a huge castle fan, I run them in all my trucks. Which the SV3 3800kv system is a good one. If you havent moved up to Lipo you won't really benefit from it as well. If you decide on this its a 4-pole motor and a high kv. You can gear this puppy to the moon. It runs cooler and faster. If you want a little more speed than this the SV3 4600kv is another option.

You can beef up your stock ultras fairly cheap. Change out the shock caps to aluminum and upgrade to TiNi shafts. If you need to stiffen the springs or lift the truck slightly use the shock spacers till you like the setup. The springs can be changed out to a lighter or heavier spring rate. On my Digger I have lighter front and heavier rear. When you make changes you will want to change the shock oil or piston to match. Some of this you have to play with to your liking. What works on one guys may not on another.

If you want to upgrade to a whole knew shock setup there are are bunch of good choices. Some of my personal favs are the Traxxas Big Bores, Losi Ten-Ts, & Traxxas GTR (from Slash LCG). These all have alloy bodies. The last 2 have 13mm oversized bodies for more shock oil. They are also have threaded collars to make adjustments in the field. I like that part. The Big Bores utilize a shock spacer like the stock ultras. Other than that all 3 of these are tough shocks. Cost for them are pretty much the same, all between $50-70. Whatever you do don't buy Integy shocks, or much anything else by them. Just to warn you in advance, they are junk. LOL

For the body anything for the Stampede/ Stampede 4x4 fits, tons of choices. Look at the Body Guide Thread at the top of this area of the forum, there is a sticky for it. That will give you some ideas.

There are lots of good tire choices also. The most favorite for all surface traction is the Masher 2000. You can get them for 2.2 or 2.8" wheels. Which the 2.8" ones are new. Trenchers are another good choice, they are a bit bulkier and tons of traction too. You will probably have to gear down a little to run these puppies. The last fav tire is badlands, iv'e never run them but they are excellent on dirt. This is just a few to tap into.

I'd suggest picking up an RPM Slash or Slash front bumper to save the front on impacts. This bumper sits up higher and provides more protection. Only thing it can look funny with some bodies. LOL The T-Bone Racing MJ front bumper is another one with good protection, its another one that is different looking. The RPM Stampede wide front bumper is nice to.

RPM is good for plastic like the a-arms and shock towers. Traxxas, STRC & FLM are good for the 4 corners, like c-blocks and carriers.

Hope this helps you out some.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the info guys, I'm already running rpm casters and a arms and the rpm wide front bumper but definitely be getting the other part's recommended, I've got 2s 25sc 3300 mah lipos but want more run time without over heating and I've got an onyx 150 charger I got from my brother

RC Enthusiast
    I run on grass and hard pack mostly and the stock talons just don't hold a grip most times and I end up running after the truck alot also, I love the stampede even though it rolls alot, the bumper has saved me quite a few times but I've still managed to knock the front drivers side tire completely of 4 times since o got it (caster twice, steering knuckle twice) no problem's with the rpm arms yet though, and all I've done to the shocks is added an extra spacer all around, I like the looks of the mashers and trenchers also just didn't know which ones other pede owners would recommend

RC Enthusiast
    No sooner than I posted my last comment I took my vxl out for a run and a few trips over a makeshift ramp and on the 2nd hop 1 of my front shock caps came off so I'm down for the count til I get to the lhs tomorrow which is 70 miles away, and I'm guessing it'd be a good idea to go ahead and Puck up an extra bottle of shock oil

Yep, it's not going to hurt anyways. Stock oil is 30wt. Are you going to upgrade the ultra's?
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    About to stop by the hs in a bit for some new parts for them

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Yep, it's not going to hurt anyways. Stock oil is 30wt. Are you going to upgrade the ultra's?
    Typo on Diggers Behalf. Stock is 40wt

He chimed in and gave great advice.. I would not get RPM arms. I would get Protrac Arms. At least the arms. The pede is a different beast all together with alittle more proper width. Than you can run 4 front offsets with that. Also, either STRC or Proline Hinge pins I think are a must... Especially with your RPM Castors. Durable, but they bend pins. In that position, I say alum all the way.

Welcome btw!!!
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

It's actually 30wt. LOL Unless there changed it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    30 is what i got with mine when i bought it last year. 30 is what comes with the big bores.

RC Enthusiast
    I picked up some aluminum caps but they didn't have the TiNi shafts

RC Enthusiast
    And I needed the shafts in a bad way I've got 2 bent, if I were going to go opposite of the ultras then what would netter a good direction to go in?

RC Qualifier
    If I were you I would get some aluminium caster blocks and, if you like off road type surfaces I would get softer springs and some better tires. For tires I recommend the Pro-Line Trenchers.

And I needed the shafts in a bad way I've got 2 bent, if I were going to go opposite of the ultras then what would netter a good direction to go in?
    Any of the 3 I listed in my first post. They are all around the same price. The Traxxas Big Bores will be the easiest to find and marginally cheaper than the other 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    The big bores a good shock? And I've been looking at trenchers and mashers both, the stock tires just pretty much suck lol, and I'm going to upgrade to aluminum caster blocks steering blocks and rear axle carriers as well and lookin for a proline kit fir extra width, how much do they cost?

RC Enthusiast
    Will all of the traxxas aluminum parts work with the protrac arms? And if I buy just the arms will I have to get all longer hardware?

RC Champion
    The big bores a good shock? And I've been looking at trenchers and mashers both, the stock tires just pretty much suck lol, and I'm going to upgrade to aluminum caster blocks steering blocks and rear axle carriers as well and lookin for a proline kit fir extra width, how much do they cost?
    The traxxas big bore shocks are excellent shocks for what you pay. Smooth, durable and they look good too.

RC Enthusiast
    What kind of topspeed are you guys getting from your pedes on brushless 2sor lipo

RC Racer
    What kind of topspeed are you guys getting from your pedes on brushless 2sor lipo
    Mmp/3800 23/83 on trenchers 36 mph on 2s, 50+ on 3s using GPS app on iPhone

RC Enthusiast
    I'm running the stock vileneon 3500 on 2s