RC Enthusiast

Is there a cure for the sickness?

Received my Stampede 4X4 last week and before I've even run the thing, I've ordered:

Traxxas Aluminum Shock Caps
    Traxxas TiN Shock Shafts
    Traxxas +20% Front and Rear Springs
    Traxxas Aluminum Bearing Adapter
    King Headz Motor Mount
    Traxxas Aluminum Caster Blocks
    Traxxas Aluminum Steering Blocks
    Traxxas Aluminum Axle Carriers
    Traxxas Aluminum Wheelie Bar Wheels
    MIP X-Duty Front and Rear CVDs
    RPM A-arms Front and Rear
    RPM Front Bumper
    ProLine Desperadoes
    ProLine Trenchers
    Traxxas Clear Gear Cover

I know everyone says to wait until things break to replace them but I can't control myself

RC Racer
    Welcome to RC addiction my man.

RC Qualifier
    LOL That's Awesome!!! Just their is going to be a little bit of binding with the MIP and the Aluminium axle carriers!!!

Nice list. Do have have some pinions and spurs on stock? You need a lighter gearing with those Trenchers.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Qualifier
    That's a big chunk of the upgrades I have. Now you just need a motor and ESC to put those parts to the test! Enjoy!

RC Qualifier
    There is a big number of people addicted to telephone psychics, I've heard its quite an epidemic. At least stampedes are cool. I call my addiction a 1/3rd life crisis. It was rc's or a motorcycle. Here I am, I'm also a member.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-nightmare View Post
    LOL That's Awesome!!! Just their is going to be a little bit of binding with the MIP and the Aluminium axle carriers!!!

Do you know of a way to fix the issue I have the aluminum carriers. And just ordered the rear mip x dutys

RC Qualifier
    You can Grind the Carriers Down.. OR the MIP will do it for you but it will take some time! i Don't know where, i think is right below on the lip where the bearings go. I don't have a Stampede my Friend Does... But he doesn't have Allumin Carriers yet, so he doesn't know either i just know because i heard it many places before.. Sorry for the no help at all!

RC Competitor
    Nah man thanks for the warning now I will know what to look for

Thats one awesome parts list and good for you when your vxl dies that it will be ready for a powerhouse brushless comboWelcome to the addiction and the forum man....................peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-nightmare View Post
    I was aware of the potential for binding, but hoping the issue would resolve itself in due time.

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Nice list. Do have have some pinions and spurs on stock? You need a lighter gearing with those Trenchers.
    I contemplated ordering the 9 and 10 tooth pinions, but decided to hold out and see what my temps were like (stock VXL system and 2S lipo for now.)

This whole thing started just last year when I picked up a MERV and stumbled upon this forum. A great place with a wealth of information...also great for emptying your wallet.

RC Qualifier
    If you have your suspension set high/ stock the axles rub the carrier. If you don't have a dremel wear leather gloves and shave it out with a new razor blade. Don't want your ambulance bill cause you cut your finger in half, I need that money for an air brush Works great on traxxas 6061 alum. Some mfg's use 7075 and you can't even scratch them.

RC Enthusiast
    Received my last packages today and completed my build. Also dyed the chasis while I was at it and swapped to the lower body posts. I swear I love tinkering with these things as much as I enjoy bashing them. Anyhow, some pics for you...

RC Qualifier
    Looks great! Your last pic didn't lad for me though. :-( could I see one with the body off?

I love the look of the black and red combo dude it looks very evil keep us posted on the build.......peace

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jayblazer View Post
    Looks great! Your last pic didn't lad for me though. :-( could I see one with the body off?
    It's all stock minus the posts and shock caps

On a side note, I ran my first battery pack through the truck today (Traxxas 2S 4000mah lipo) and it won't wheelie at all. I tightened the slipper down to 1/4 turn and made sure I was is sport mode. Anything else I'm potentially overlooking? I realize the aluminum parts and bigger wheels/tires add weight, but I expected it to wheelie on command.

RC Champion
    Unfortunately, the only cure for this sickness is either the wrong marriage or death!

RC Racer
    I've spent close to $500 in upgrades on my pede. That plus the initial cost of the pede puts it close to $1000! I didn't think I'd end up spending so much on one little truck. Yep...its addicting yet oh so fun. Thank god i dont have a wife or kids to support because i prefer driving a pede rather than a mini van.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey JDoug..I have the same battery pack as you and here is what I experienced. I was dissapointed in the pack at first,but after about 4 charges and runs on my truck,it was like a very different battery. It will wheelie very easily now. My truck is stock but I do like this pack now-so give it a few cycles and see what happens.

RC Racer
    i would swap out those progressive springs for some nice linear springs. never really like the progressives. they are super soft then BAM! way too stiff as they compress.

I would go back to the stockers with the same pre-load that you have on it right now. i think it handles better off-road than with the siff progressives. Unless you are gettin a lot of huge air on the jumps and need some stiffness. otherwise the chassis is just going to bounce around on top of the tires over the terrain.
    Last edited by clmarek1; 03-15-2013 at 12:10 PM.
    Rustler + Lipo + Dirt = FUN!

Or use the stock springs and 50wt oil thats a good setup for jumps and stuff.....peace

RC Champion
    Yea, JDOUG, Spend more money and get some real springs! LOL! The upgrades will literally NEVER end! Just when you think you're done, you'll want to change something to what you already have and.....there ya go, more money!

Looks great!