Thread: Uh oh.....

RC Qualifier

Uh oh.....

Well today I was running my EMBE on stock batteries ( li pos haven't come yet ) but I wasn't even close to half throttle and the trucks front diff locked up... I took the front drive shaft out and tried it to make sure nothing else was hurt and it run 2wd again less than half throttle and i heard a clicking noise and I was about to turn around the truck and the rear diff locked up.. I was not on it hard and it did run on 2wd for less than 30 seconds when it fully quit.... Now it just spins the spur gear and it goes nowhere... I think it's the tranny?? Also I wonder if I should replace the diffs just to make sure nothing was hurt??? Also I know the front diff is ok because it freed up after I took the drive line out.. Does any one have ideas why it happened??
    Thanks John

Are both rear driveshafts still attached?
    How about both fronts?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Are both rear driveshafts still attached?
    How about both fronts?
    Yeah the center drive shaft popped out but all of the other drive shafts are still on ( they are the traxxxas steel drive shafts )

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    So both front and back experience the same issues? I'd say check the tranny (unless you were having a really bad day and broke both diffs) Lol

Also you could try isolating the diffs. I put locking pliers on the shaft between the tranny and diff to hold it in place, then I try to turn both wheels at the same time. If you feel grinding, bad. If all you feel is the pliers not letting anything turn, diff is safe.
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC Racer
    I love how you say "hurt" when talking about your MAXX, makes me smile

Back on topic: My guts telling me diffs.
    E-Maxx 150A and 2100kv 4-pole

RC Qualifier
    Really, blown diffs on nimh? Not ruling that out but sounds wierd. Im running 4s and haven't had a problem. had a grub screw come out of one of my center shafts, but maybe I've been lucky. I'm no expert, but sounds like tranny problems.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepRubicon2k3 View Post
    I love how you say "hurt" when talking about your MAXX, makes me smile

Back on topic: My guts telling me diffs.
    Haha yeah well it is my baby, I have Revos and tmaxxes but there is something about my EMBE!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    Really, blown diffs on nimh? Not ruling that out but sounds wierd. Im running 4s and haven't had a problem. had a grub screw come out of one of my center shafts, but maybe I've been lucky. I'm no expert, but sounds like tranny problems.
    That's what I thought... Really on Nimh???? And the thing I wonder is I'm going to buy 4s li pos! So if anyone has Ideas or thoughts post up!! But tomorrow we shall find out what went wrong when I tear it apart. Ill get some pics for you guys.

it could be a bad bearing in there some where it would not surprise me though if there is but check inside there both diffs and also check your bearings all around on the axle carriers as well just to make sure preventive maintaince is key to a smooth running emaxx.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    Looks like I'm going to be waiting for a new tranny... As far as I've looked at the diffs they seem to be ok. They spin freely and that's as far as I've got lol!

keep an eye on those bearings everywhere for the drive train. I know my carrier bearings were dirty and gritty so when i seen that in my bearing i cleaned them good. should have clean all the bearings though but didnt sad to say

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    keep an eye on those bearings everywhere for the drive train. I know my carrier bearings were dirty and gritty so when i seen that in my bearing i cleaned them good. should have clean all the bearings though but didnt sad to say
    Well I found out the front cvd came out after the tranny went and took a chunk out of the chassis then got caught in the chassis, so it's time for a re build!! I got a new tranny ordered!! And I did figure out what weakened the tranny, it was the mashers I had on it for the snow, bigger tires are not going back on that truck!!! Thanks for the help guys!!

its always nice to do a rebuild. Sucks about the tranny though, did you have to slipper too tight with the mashers? if its too tight then its going to damage it has to slip a little bit with those large wheels on there. mine with stock i have it a little less than 1/4 out but if i was to use bigger tires like mashers or trenchers i would loosen it a little more than 1/4 turn from all the way tight

RC Qualifier
    Well she's back from the dead!!! And with li-pos!!! Haha ill get a pic or two later but I did a re-build and cleaned it! Lol

RC Qualifier
    Like a Phoenix rising from the ashes. Nice one.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugs View Post
    Like a Phoenix rising from the ashes. Nice one.
    Haha yup that exactly what it is lol, stupid question for you guys but I ran it real easy on Nimh battery's for the test drive around the block and I stopped to check and I backed up and the front drive line piped out again!!! I ajusted it to see if that did anything and it seemed to help, any ideas on what to do before I run the traxxas 4s lipos?? I also have a little bit long drive shaft that scan option but you guys tell me!!! Lol and they are the traxxas Cvds
    Thanks

RC Qualifier
    ????? Ideas? Lol

RC Qualifier
    I know this thread is dead, but I keep having the same problem. My grub screw keeps coming out of my front cvd at the tranny. Its happened three times now! I'm thinking of super gluing the thing in! Lol thread locker sure doesn't seem to do the trick.
    addicted much....

RC Champion
    What type of thread locker are you using?

RC Qualifier
    Blue......
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    is it fairly new? i had some old loctite that didn't do the job
    how do you tighten it? i have a set of good hex tools but still do the final torque with an allen on driveline grub screws

RC Qualifier
    No, i've had the tube for months. And yeah I use a good driver to tighten it. But I never crank them down. I guess I could pick up another tube and see if that helps. Matter of fact, I used some on the 17mm hexes on my revo, and those come loose to.
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i opened up an old tube once and at the bottom was all the good stuff .been sitting too long and even shaking the tube didn't help

RC Champion
    #22 "But i never crank them down"? Try cranking them down good and tight!

RC Qualifier
    Ok, I'll crank em down and pick up a new tube of Locktite.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Yeah but I have found out that on a custom truck that if you put lock tight on it and you break something, it suck to get out lol,

Quote Originally Posted by johnzillia54 View Post
    Yeah but I have found out that on a custom truck that if you put lock tight on it and you break something, it suck to get out lol,
    For that get a soldering iron & heat it up, the heat brakes down the binding strength of the loctite.

Lessons on Loctite.
    1) Shake to tube well, even a brand new tube, before every application, or get the gel loctite.
    2) Let it cure overnight, 18~24 hours before use.
    3) Always clean both the bolt & bolt hole out before putting them together, loctite needs a clean surface to work properly.
    4) Apply loctite & tighten fastener normally.
    5) Never squeeze out the air in the tube, you'll find a solid lump of loctite if you do!
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!