RC poster

Upgrading very old Stampede

I had another thread on this last week, but will start this one because I am getting closer to figuring out what I want to do.

I have a 12 year old Pede (Bought May 2001). Brushed motor , nicad 7.2v batteries and a Rooster ESC. 27mhz radio.

I am working on upgrading various items. Rebuilding the frontend with aluminum parts after I broke the plastic ones. Just ordered a Magnum 272 Transmission ($28). My gears are 83/19, I think that will work for a Brushless system running at 7.2v.

I am going with the Castle SV3 Sidewinder and 4600kV motor ($110). Still use my 7.2 Nicd batteries for now but upgrade to a 2.4ghz transmitter and receiver ($60).

I will probably put the lipo battery connector on the ecs, but get an adapter and then upgrade to lipo 3s down the road. The 11.1v will be a kick up of speed, may be overkill. The charger and batteries are steep, I'd rather use that money on upgrades. Like new tires because the original pede tires might be to hard for Brushless. So I may never go to LiPo..

Complete newbie at this so any thoughts are appreciated.

RC Qualifier
    I wouldn't rebuild the whole front with aluminum, I made that mistake once nothing flexes or gives so it breaks other stuff like the chassis just a thought I would do some RPM arms aluminum carriers probably. Might want to atleast upgrade batteries to 8.4v I run them in my pede with the velineon system and it is plenty quick and doesn't wear things out too fast but is still plenty fun. I like speed but at some point to me its just too much and things break and wear out too fast for me so I just stick with the nihm bats, I might go to 2s just for the longer run times but then again I am just a basher so battery changes dont bother me that much and ppl are tossing out stock batteries cheap so not sure if I will go lipo for awhile, pretty happy with mine as it is.
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Racer
    You do not want to run the castle system on anything But a lipo. The nihm batteries don't have the kick to run a brushless system, you will be disappointed and frustrated. I melted my 7 cell 3300 traxxas pack on the 2nd run.

RC Qualifier
    on the castle or vxl pumpkin, i have ran probably 50 packs thru my vxl with no issue and I get plenty of torque and power out of the truck for my liking, lipo I know would give me more but its fun the way it is
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    A decent 7cell nimh can be used with the castle system. Though Lipo will be a huge improvement. Im %99 sure your going to melt your NiCd packs with a brushless setup. I would strongly suggest at least budgeting for a decent NIMH pack to start if you cant afford to go lipo now. There are lots of guys selling the stock traxxas packs for little $$.

If you were planning on alot of aluminum up front, save your money, buy the batteries first. The only real essentials for the front would be RPM arms, RPM shock tower, RPM bumper and aluminum castors and carriers. The bulkhead is fine as it is for now.

I wouldnt suggest going 3S lipo right off the start. Especailly not with a 4600kv motor. The motor will get way too hot. Go with a 2S lipo... youll be absolutely blown away with how fast it is. 3S is overkill even with the stock VXL system and it gets the motor really hot. With a 4600 motor it will be pretty much undriveable and the motor will get even hotter.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ