RC poster

Slipper clutch question?

Hi,
    Im new to the forum, Ive got a the 4x4 pede and recently just had to replace the slipper clutch and got the upgrade alloy pads instead of the fiberous pads. anyway Im fairly new to rc's and trying to get the slipper set right and have had some problems because the supplied spring was too small so I had to use the old spring. Now that I switched the spring back it seems to be working but my question is, when the slipper is set properly, should the truck still be pulling wheelies? I tightened the nut in all the way and little by little worked my way to backed off around 3/4-7/8 of a turn and it sounds like it slips and after moving about 6 inches will start to wheelie. At first it was just completely wheelieing over right away so i backed off until its like I said it goes about 6 inches on all fours and then starts pulling the front up and rides that somewhat mild wheelie for around 8-10 feet. not riding all the way back on the wheelie bar but just riding that wheelie probably about half way between flat and riding on the wheelie bar. Is this good or should i be lossening it until it doesnt wheelie? I love wheelies but i dont want to sheer off anymore of the little rods that hold my cvd's together. I have the mip x-duty cvd's and I had a couple of the small pin/rod's that connect the cvd's and the pivot points
    break and/or loosen and fall out. It took around 4-5 months for them to break so maybe that is normal wear and tear, I dont know. Just hoping to get an idea of how the slipper clutch should ideally be set? Thanks

RC Competitor
    Stock setting is a full turn from fully compressed. Seems most people run somewhere between 1/4 - 3/4 off fully compressed. I run at 3/4 off fully compressed and I can rarely pull wheelies on the stock tires (w/ 2s lipo). I would say 3/4 off fully compressed is safe, but my suggestion would be to check temperatures and make sure esc/motor temps are OK.

As for the MIP cvd's go, hopefully someone else can chime in. I have tekno's and haven't had any issues with the slipper being 3/4 turn off fully compressed.

RC Qualifier
    The only reason for the slipper is to save parts from breaking. Tighter and you can flip it on its back with traction. Or loose but make sure it isn't slipping for 50'. Its not as much correct as it is preference.

RC Qualifier
    Slipper setting is not universal because the slipper setting is dependent on motor power, gearing and traction of tires and the running surface. And as Braaap58 said, preference. Just find a happy medium, which it sounds like you have.

Sounds like you have found your sweet spot but do not over tighten because you will damage the slipper plate dude and welcome to the forum.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC poster
    thanks, everyone! I appreciate the help!

RC poster
    the motor does get a little hot now that I think about it. I dont have a temp device so I dont know exact numbers, also hard to tell being that its winter so when outside its all good but when inside trying to set the slipper I did notice it getting pretty warm. If it is having heat issues, What would that mean for the slipper? too tight or something? Thanks

Motor heat is affected much more by gearing and battery than by a slipper clutch setting. Without knowing precisely how hot you are getting the motor, we can't say if you are in danger.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Slipper setting doesn't effect motor temp... Well maybe a tiny bit but lets not get to technical. Slipper is for not breaking axles etc. Motor temp is based off driving conditions and gearing. If you don't end up at top speed where you run gear down for faster acceleration and lower temps. I drive off road mostly and 45mph is way to fast for me. Mine only went 35mph with stock electronics and it stayed cool. Just sharing what took me pulling my hair out for a few months before I found this forum

RC poster
    ok, thanks, Ya I have the smaller of the 2 pinions I have on. I have a 17 tooth for top speed but have never used it. I think the other one that I have on the truck now is a 15t, i think? Maybe I should get a 13 just to be safe, cuz same here I like off road and bashing and the speed is cool and all but I have plenty of speed at half throttle most the time! I cant imagine how fast this truck would be with 1/8th scale size motors like i've heard some have done! CRAZY! Im sure it can be fun though!

I would say 13t max dude i ran mine for 15 months on 2s and 3s with fans on the esc and motor and then it melted...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!