RC Racer

Question Summit led questions. Please help

Anyone know the specs on the stock leds on the summit?
    can i put.
    Blue 2600 MCD intensity, T-1-3/4 (5mm) size LED in all the front or
    NTE30045 White Super-bright LED Indicator

and or NTE30041 Deep Red Super-bright LED Indicator
    NTE30040 Orange Super-bright LED Indicator in the back spots with out power failure or a problem blowing them out? help!!!!!! please..
    NO U CANT DRIVE MY SUMMIT!

RC Competitor
    I don't know the specs on the summit leds, I even called traxxas and inquired with them. They don't know at customer support either. It is obviously 6v 3amp power supply but led specs are unknown. However I do know that 2600 mcd isn't very bright. You didn't give a degree (viewing angle) of the led so let's just say, for example, it's a spot type with 40 degree viewing angle... that's less than 1 lumen. For reference a typical $50 led flashlight is 200-300 lumens. As a led lighting hobbyist I have many years of research, trail and error. Multiple factors are need to be considered when designing a led lighting system. Type of light desired (spot or flood), power supply voltage, milliamp hour rating of power supply, led forward voltage, and led milliamp draw and what size resistors you need. I can say that most so-called "ultra or super bright" leds are not bright very bright. Of those that are indeed bright dim to half their original brightness within 20-40 hours. There are millions of leds out there and I could recommend many but the one that always comes to mind first is Nichia Corporation. They invented the led and have the brightest nonchip/nonheatsinked standard lamp type 5mm led on the market. I used 18 of the highly coveted Nichia NSDW570GS-K1's Compared to stock Summit (shorter because it has a wider viewing angle) Here are some pics of where and how they are installed. and finally all lit up with 540 LUMENS!!! Here it is pitch black with no ther lighting but the Summits.
    If you spend some time reading this site and using the calculator you will be able to design your own system with ease. http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz
    Last edited by MagicDragon; 03-11-2013 at 01:04 PM.

RC Racer
    first let me say WOW thats a sick setup u have there!! and 2 i was just refrencing radio shacks website.
    but what i want to know now is how much did all that cost you?
    looks like u are running it on its own lipo. am i correct? and are u using resistors? if so what size? well i guess u would have to use them right?
    and how did u wire it all. i was thinking of cuting the leds off the original and soldering the new ones in the place.
    THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING.

RC Competitor
    I spent less than $35 for everything but the leds. Multipack of resistors, 50 foot 28awg wire spool, 20 pack of jst onnectors, a micro on/off switch, liquid tape, heatshrink, zipties, 2 el cheapo 11.1v lipos from ebay. Unfortunately the Nichia leds are only available to me as a lot of 100. But they are 43 cents each. So it was $43 for the leds but they are the very best leds and I use them for everything. I have my leds wired in 6 circuits of 3 leds in series. Using a 15 ohm 1/2 watt resistors. But that all depends on battery voltage, led voltage, and led amps. For the resistors needed and diagrams just use the led array wizard from the link I posted. It will give you all that info and even draw you a diagram.

RC poster
    Where are you getting the leds,will you sell some?

RC Competitor
    I don't have any to sell at the moment. But here is the contact info for them.
    http://www.nichia.co.jp/en/contact/contact.html
    They have a wonderful staff and normally only sell thousands and thousands of leds to manufacturers to put in their own products. They will sell a small lot of 100 to end users like us after signing a document stating that you will not sell them as just leds. Example, you can make a lightbar, flashlight, or something using the leds and sell that but not just the leds. But they can email it to you, sign it, get an invoice, pay, and they will ship to you for free. My experiences were great. I have had different sales reps but Kathy and Heather were great. (Remember they aren't a hobby shop, they're a multi-billion dollar corporation) Sales rep once told me their average daily invoice was more than I make in a year!!! lol
    Browse their website and see their professionalism.
    http://www.nichia.co.jp/en/product/products_index.html
    Last edited by MagicDragon; 03-11-2013 at 02:58 PM.

RC Racer
    wow thats crazy so then you magicdragon should asemble a kit for the summit and sell it with there leds and make a little profit. i can even be your first buyer. i dont have time right now to shop and assemble with the job i have but will try my best to get some summit mods done. heres what im working with right now. [IMG][/IMG]

RC Competitor
    Nice cage! I've thought about making one myself but I've been kinda busy. lol

I have wired a couple other buddies Summits as they liked my setup as it's not body dependent. Everything still works without it. (plugging in a different resistor jumper when the lightbar is missing) It is a labor intensive install. I actually think it would be harder to install as a kit because the main harness is installed and then terminated with jst connectors. But I agree with you that there should be a kit but I'm not up for that challenge just yet. As it is I have too many projects. lol