RC Qualifier

Revamped Titan 550 motor

So I was at my lhs yesterday and the owner informed me that traxxas has supposedly fixed the problems with Titan 550 motors going out. She explained to me that the metal torque band was the culprit. She showed me a updated Titan on a sunuvadiggerr RC. She also informed me that traxxas was not really advertising this info as there are still a bunch of older style titans yet to sell. Why did she have a new style Titan on the sunuvadigger I don't know. What she gathered was the metal torque band was holding in heat and burning up the motors. Don't quote me on any of this info as I tend to forget and have a short attention span lol. If its true then good for traxxas for FINALLY addressing the issue. Nothing worse than seeing a kid with a new stampede with a burnt motor. I think traxxas should throw all the older titans in the garbage. I hope my info is correct and thank you for letting me share.

RC Champion
    i thought there was a reason for the band. take a old 550 motor, and take off that band. it runs different.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcar View Post
    i thought there was a reason for the band. take a old 550 motor, and take off that band. it runs different.
    i recently did that and did not notice a difference in torque or overall power and speed?

RC Racer
    i hope they fixed this because i have gone through about 4 of these motors since December. but soon i'm going to go brushless.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty don View Post
    What she gathered was the metal torque band was holding in heat and burning up the motors.
    this is untrue. ive dyno'd and messed with enough titans to be able to tell you that that torque ring is a very good thing, it does not hold in heat in any way. in fact i would think an effectively thicker piece of metal between the can and the ring would mean that it should be able to deal with heat even better.

that torque ring works too. what it does is contain the magnetic field and will, at the cost of rpm's, increase the torque. its visible on a basic motor dyno when you see the drop in rpms after its slipped over.

my original dyno and my initial testing here
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...e-a-motor-dyno....

as heavy as the stock trx cars are that can only be a good thing that the ring is there.
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    I think the band is to generate more power torque and speed. If you get a heatsink that would work with the overheating problem.
    Drive. Crash. Fix. Repeat.

RC Champion
    Was there a big difference in looks to the "updated" motor she showed you? Just curious, was the torque ring removed or ??

I do agree with SRT on his testing/theory with and with-out the ring, (I do remember that thread BTW) Yes it does cost some RPM's.

And reminded me of THIS video from you tube about the torque ring where you can clearly "see and hear" the rpm difference.

IMO proper gearing/maintenance is the problems new peeps are having, just seems more repetitious then before?

But to tell you the truth, I still have my original Titan from a first run yellow XL-5 pede that I bought new. I NEVER had a issue of over heating nor burning the motor up, and I used to beat the snot out of it, But maintenance was done periodically.....It still runs strong as it did when it was first used in the pede.

Anyhow interesting indeed if Traxxas actually "changed" something or using a new motor all together.
    Last edited by dave00bear; 03-06-2013 at 04:18 PM.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Racer
    whats this torque ring you guys are talking about?

RC Champion

RC Champion
    well sure enough i went into the lhs the other day, asked for a titan 12t and i get a mostly naked 550 can.

we'll see if this is an improvement or not......

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SRTracer121 View Post
    well sure enough i went into the lhs the other day, asked for a titan 12t and i get a mostly naked 550 can.

we'll see if this is an improvement or not......
    Huh, No doubt......So it's still the run of the mill Titan 550 can, minus the torque ring? Post a pic if you can.

EDIT: Found a few pic's of the "new naked" motor. Sure enough the ring is gone.

With ring:

Without:

Last edited by dave00bear; 03-14-2013 at 08:16 AM.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Champion
    well ill be hornshwaggled.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Racer
    so when does any one think that traxxas will announce this "new" motor?

RC Racer
    they wont its just beeing phased into the market

RC Champion
    Wonder if they just found a more competent motor manufacturer...............
    Aw, Biscuits!

IMO the problem was that you have a cheap motor in the hands of mostly people new to the hobby who haven't a clue how to properly care for one. A friend of mine had a newer rustler with the titan and 18t pinion and it never overheats and he runs it pretty hard with a 7 cell. I checked to temps for him, it was 117 after a full pack of running.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bjoehandley View Post
    Wonder if they just found a more competent motor manufacturer...............
    nope still mabuchi, idk if traxxas buys a motor that was made for them or if its an off the shelf design they already had.

also mabuchi is one of, if not the, largest industrial and commercial brushed motor maker, more than a few brands get their motors from them, only other one that i know of thats been as big in the hobby is johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    IMO the problem was that you have a cheap motor in the hands of mostly people new to the hobby who haven't a clue how to properly care for one. A friend of mine had a newer rustler with the titan and 18t pinion and it never overheats and he runs it pretty hard with a 7 cell. I checked to temps for him, it was 117 after a full pack of running.
    although i tend to agree with you ive seen and had many of my own fail on me under ideal and expected conditions. biggest one ive seen is that the brush spring tears and the brush falls out or the brush itself fragments and crumbles for no particular reason.

short of that id be willing to bet most every other failure is just a dirty motor (which can be cleaned no problem) or one that was over heated or over-volted. just cause you can run 9.6v dont mean yall should

RC Champion
    I would be interested in seeing the #'s on the "naked" 12T...SRT, are you going to test the new motor and post data?

Curious

RC Champion
    if i get around to it you know i will. got too many irons in the fire as it is (the troubled life of the rc racer right? )

RC Champion
    so i went and hd another look-see at this motor, much more closely too.

yes it is still mabuchi, their stamp is right on the end bell plate

good stuff:
    windings are very even which is a good thing, more HP and a more efficient motor. (idk if wind/turn count has changed). still machine wound im sure as hand winding is an art and not something you can mass produce without a lot of well trained people being paid to sit and wind armatures all day.

the brush springs are the same thickness but wider and longer so there is more surface area around the brush. this was a major failure point for the titan. ive had it happen and seen it happen to others many times over. good job traxxas and mabuchi!

and now the bad.

only fault i could find other than the lack of torque/flux ring is that there is no balancing putty on the arm atleast on my sample. now i aint taking this new $22 motor apart just to see if its drill balanced but i doubt it is. (anyone care to find out or chime in, traxxas employees im looking at you) that fan is still glued on the top of the armature stack and no matter how clean the winding was done there is still need for balancing to prolong the life of a motor.

gonna break this in the traxxas way and see what kind of numbers it develops, ill keep ya'll posted

RC Champion
    Keep us posted for sure. Im very interested to see how this turns out.
    Land of the free?

RC Racer
    maby i wont go brushless if this is fixed and will last for longer than 30 runs

Quote Originally Posted by cjroy1998 View Post
    maby i wont go brushless if this is fixed and will last for longer than 30 runs
    Who are you kidding? Not go brushless...pshhht brushed can be fun but brushless is way more fun!
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Qualifier
    I Agree 110% i have a track in my back yard,i have a gravedigger 1/16 brushed 2x4, my friend has a stampede 4x4 vxl BL and i can still beat him easy! it makes me feel good! and him well..... he'll get over it! :P

I wonder what would happen if you put that torque rig on the revamped Titan.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Champion
    well i can tell you from experience that youll see a nice drop in rpm's on the dyno and amps might change.

it will still fit though, the hole with the ring nub snaps into is still in the can.

RC Racer
    has any one used one of these new motors enough to be able to tell if they are any good i have noticed that my lhs has these in stock and i just cant swing buying a brushless system right now.

My friend has a Slash XL-5 with the new Titan in it. He has been running it like crazy for the last month, and he doesn't even know how to clean, or oil it, so I'd say it's alot better.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Racer
    good to know i was just able to order my brushless system through my lhs cant wait to get it will be here next Thursday .

RC Qualifier
    I don't know whether to be happy or sad to hear they are changing. The 8 or 9 titans Ive had in various RCs since the year they came out have been absolute workhorses. All of them. Gear em right and keep em clean and dry and on 2s lipo they won't do anything but love you right back.