RC Competitor

motors over heating?

I just got a new brushed emaxx the other day, but I have been haveing trouble with burning the motors up? every thing is stock. The first time was a little my fault, cause I really did not break the motors in. The next time I used the stock batters and babied the crap out of it for 2 hole charges. To day I used My Traxxas 7600 Lipo's, and the motors got over 200 degrees. The gearing is free meshed. so there is no binding or any thing like that. Is it this motors are not able to run Lipos? Very up set. The first set of motors the brushes were ruined. This I checked. The look good. Seam to be seated well with the com. Could there be something wrong with the ESC causeing the motors to burn up? If I can not get this fixed I was thinking of putting the brushless Tekin motor on it. Some day I would like to turn it in to a crawler, will the sensored tekin work for this?

What are my options?

I even thought about the 700 Kershaw motors for an upgrade.

RC Champion
    you should not be having this much trouble if you're stock and there is no binding.

Try to place a phone call to Traxxas customer support and talk to them...you may have a defective ESC.....MAYBE. Either way, they can assist you for sure.

RC Champion
    Titan 550's seem to be a crap shoot when it comes to quality. I ran mine for many months with no problems, then one day, mid run I started to smell an electrical burn. Others have smoked them in a few runs.

If it's not an ESC problem I'd guess there is something binding somewhere, maybe the slipper clutch, Tranny, one or both diffs.

Sorry for your troubles

RC Competitor
    called traxxas the tec said that running Lipos are hard on the motors? HHHMMM dont know about that. but o well. run them till she blows with caution. LOL

RC Racer
    2s lipos isn't hard on the motors!?!? No harder then nimh.

RC Qualifier
    Nimh are crap. Maybe get a fan ? I just installed 2 integy heat sink side fans and the motors run a lot cooler

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JDenham View Post
    Nimh are crap. Maybe get a fan ? I just installed 2 integy heat sink side fans and the motors run a lot cooler
    Where do the fans get there from? Any pics of the fans installed?

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    They are curved finned aluminum heatsinks that wrap around the motors and have a fan on them. They get their power either from an open port on your receiver or from a separate battery. The stock motors are notorious for being inconsistent in their quality. Maybe you're overgeared and putting too much stress on them? Definitely upgrade to bigger motors (or a single 775) or just go brushless. A sensored motor would be better for crawling. Maybe check out some threads on the Summit section if that is the direction you want to go with your truck. Also look into getting diff lockers. You can't really crawl it in the stock form.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zman2rwhd48 View Post
    Where do the fans get there from? Any pics of the fans installed?

Integy heatsinks w/fans. I've seen them 15bucks at the local hobby stores. They seem to work pretty well. After bashing my emaxx with LiPos I only saw the motor temps around 140