RC Enthusiast

What gearing is working best with Trenchers on Desperados?

Feedback please. I currently have the stock setup and was considering kicking it up a bit, but want to know the best gearing to "maintain" power but increase speed. Engine is stock and I'm running 2S.

RC Champion
    The larger your pinion, the slower your acceleration and the higher your top speed. The opposite is true when using a smaller pinion. HOWEVER, because you're running larger-than-stock tires, you need to be careful before going to a larger pinion. You might overheat . Start off with the stock pinion and see how your motor and ESC temperatures are, then gradually increase your pinion size. You have to strike a balance between temperature and performance.
    Last edited by zippogeek; 03-05-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Racer
    i would think on 2s you should be fine with stock gearing. but like zippo says get a temp gun and check those temps every few mins or so during a run.
    Stampede 4x4 vxl w/ MMP/2400kv, Mini E-Revo

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    You have to strike a balance between temperature and performance.
    I'm hoping to learn from other people having found this balance already, what gearing they are running.
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Force View Post
    I'm hoping to learn from other people having found this balance already, what gearing they are running.
    Someone might tell you exactly what they're running with their Trenchers, but that may not work for your particular situation. You should also take into consideration the surface you're running on (sand and grass are harder on the motor than asphalt), the outside temperature and how well ventilated your motor and ESC are. A temp gun is definitely your friend...Just my $.02!

RC Champion
    points to consider. Stock out of the box is 11/54. Traxxas recommends 9-10/54 for offroad or extreme terrain running. with the Trenchers, you're adding stress to the motor/esc, drive train simply because they are larger, heavier tires.

when you change tire size, it is recommended that you change gears as well. larger tires require higher gear ratio and smallers allow for lower gear ratio. SOOOO, all things being equal, if you add larger tires, (not to mention you'll instantly increase your top end speed) you should increase your ratio....smaller pinion.

With all that said, your starting point should be stock set up and use a temp gun to monitor motor and esc temps. I only say this because your driving style and mine are different from each other persons styles. What works for one may not work for all.

If your motor temps are good, feel free to increase the size of your pinion to increase your top speed, little at a time. Dont make huge jumps, you may regret it.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    points to consider. Stock out of the box is 11/54. Traxxas recommends 9-10/54 for offroad or extreme terrain running. with the Trenchers, you're adding stress to the motor/esc, drive train simply because they are larger, heavier tires.

when you change tire size, it is recommended that you change gears as well. larger tires require higher gear ratio and smallers allow for lower gear ratio. SOOOO, all things being equal, if you add larger tires, (not to mention you'll instantly increase your top end speed) you should increase your ratio....smaller pinion.

With all that said, your starting point should be stock set up and use a temp gun to monitor motor and esc temps. I only say this because your driving style and mine are different from each other persons styles. What works for one may not work for all.

If your motor temps are good, feel free to increase the size of your pinion to increase your top speed, little at a time. Dont make huge jumps, you may regret it.
    I was hoping to put the $70 in hop ups and not a temp gun but sounds like I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and get the gun first.
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Force View Post
    I was hoping to put the $70 in hop ups and not a temp gun but sounds like I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and get the gun first.
    Force...it's a really smart investment in the hobby.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...%3C%2Fb%3Eauge
    Last edited by zippogeek; 03-05-2013 at 03:49 PM.

All the info the guys have given you is top notch stuff dude.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    +1 traxxas got it right with the stock gearing on the stampede 4x4. I would only go higher if you run smaller tires, or put in a larger motor.

RC Competitor
    I was actually curious of the same thing. I run 2s lipo and have trenchers mounted on desperados on order. Hoping to keep stock pinion gear, but I should also be checking temps.

RC poster
    I'm running Trenchers in an otherwise stock Stampede 4x4 on 3S. I have fans for both ESC and stock motor and temps are typically 130* F. after a few high speed runs. That said, I hardly go full throttle and am not a hardcore driver either. I think you will be fine as long as you become familiar with how your drive train reacts to your style of driving.

Its all about checking your temps no matter what batteries you are using and the terrain and driving style you use...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!