RC Qualifier

Exploring motor options...

Deciding between the Tenshock SC401v2 3400kv and Tacon 3674 1900kv.

I will be using the motor strictly for bashing on 3s and 2s as a spare when the 3s runs out of juice.

Which motor is the better choice?

Thanks in advance guys!

RC Qualifier
    if your running 3s and not planning on running 4s id get the 2800 kv version of the tacon 3674. I have 2 in both of my stampede 4x4's and its BEAST on 3s. More power than a stampede 4x4 is made for...

RC Qualifier
    I believe the Tenshocks are better quality motors.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer View Post
    if your running 3s and not planning on running 4s id get the 2800 kv version of the tacon 3674. I have 2 in both of my stampede 4x4's and its BEAST on 3s. More power than a stampede 4x4 is made for...
    I was also looking at the Tacon 3674 2800kv. Is that motor good for bashing?

Btw, I also like to do speed runs sometimes and wanted to achieve speeds between 55-60 MPH on pavement (cement) running 17/54 on 3s. Will the 2800kv motor achieve that? Does it cog at low speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
    I believe the Tenshocks are better quality motors.
    They are more expensive as well. Don't know if they are better. Would be nice if someone chimed in on that.

I run my tenshock sc411 3500kv 4 pole 550 motor on 3s with a 17t pinion and 54t spur and its faster than i need for my pede to go thats why i love it so much and doing a full pack doing speed runs it never went over 151f.And even on 2s with the same gearing it would be faster than stock on 3s ......peace.......ps i am running the hobbywing pro sct esc 120a which is the same as the sc8 but only splash and dust proof.
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    I know Jang at URC liked the Tenshock a lot. In tests it was comparable and some times better than the equivalent CC motor and for a lot less money. That was the v1 motors....the v2 apparently run cooler.

I know Jang at URC liked the Tenshock a lot. In tests it was comparable and some times better than the equivalent CC motor and for a lot less money. That was the v1 motors....the v2 apparently run cooler.
    Thats true dude they run 10% cooler and they walk over the competition for power and cost...peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    I was also looking at the Tacon 3674 2800kv. Is that motor good for bashing?

Btw, I also like to do speed runs sometimes and wanted to achieve speeds between 55-60 MPH on pavement (cement) running 17/54 on 3s. Will the 2800kv motor achieve that? Does it cog at low speeds?

They are more expensive as well. Don't know if they are better. Would be nice if someone chimed in on that.

I run 17/54 and tried getting my top speed using my garmin gps and well i was unsuccessful because i care about my gps to much.. I did get one speed run in and it was wheelieng at 46 mph with the front wheels ballooning like pizza cutters and flipped on its lid so i know forsure 55-60 is no problem...
    I love these motors. they are great for the price...like i said i have 2...
    The 2800 on 17/54 is also enough for standing backflips
    I have videos posted in a thread about a week ago if you want to see it do it...

RC Qualifier
    Im not going to lie...the first 3674 motor is a beast. No cogging..Doesnt get very hot and is great for bashing.. Has plenty of power and torque.
    My second one i think I messed up before i even got to really run it.
    I wasnt paying attention and my esc was in calibration mode and programed forward neutral and reverse at 100% open throttle so my truck started going full throttle across the living room and slammed into the table..and basically was at full throttle everytime it was on until i figured out how to re calibrate the esc...

So my second motor kinda runs on the hot side and sometimes cogs at lowspeeds...which is annoying..but im going to switch it with my other one because i only use 2s on my other p4de.

But The first motor stays cool and is smooth as butter and very very powerful.

But i must warn you you will need Mips or some sortr of upgraded driveshafts
    This isnt a must...but i stripped my desperadoes and am going up to 17mm rims now...so i suggest you save your money and rims and just do it from the start if possible.
    Last edited by blazer; 03-05-2013 at 03:33 AM.

The tacon 2800kv is only a 2 pole and max voltage is 12.6 and 1600 watts....The tenshock v2 3400kv is 4 pole max voltage 21 and 2000 watts of power just so you guys can see the performance difference ......peace

RC Qualifier
    Yeah you definitely want to go the 4 pole route as long as you're changing ESC as well. VXL only supports 2 pole. 4 pole is going to give you more power and lower operating temps which is never a bad thing.

True words dude .....peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Thats true dude they run 10% cooler and they walk over the competition for power and cost...peace
    Yes, that's what I read as well. The V2 runs cooler.

RC Qualifier
    I run my tenshock sc411 3500kv 4 pole 550 motor on 3s with a 17t pinion and 54t spur and its faster than i need for my pede to go thats why i love it so much and doing a full pack doing speed runs it never went over 151f.And even on 2s with the same gearing it would be faster than stock on 3s ......peace.......ps i am running the hobbywing pro sct esc 120a which is the same as the sc8 but only splash and dust proof.
    I run 17/54 and tried getting my top speed using my garmin gps and well i was unsuccessful because i care about my gps to much.. I did get one speed run in and it was wheelieng at 46 mph with the front wheels ballooning like pizza cutters and flipped on its lid so i know forsure 55-60 is no problem...
    I love these motors. they are great for the price...like i said i have 2...
    The 2800 on 17/54 is also enough for standing backflips
    I have videos posted in a thread about a week ago if you want to see it do it...
    Im not going to lie...the first 3674 motor is a beast. No cogging..Doesnt get very hot and is great for bashing.. Has plenty of power and torque.
    My second one i think I messed up before i even got to really run it.
    I wasnt paying attention and my esc was in calibration mode and programed forward neutral and reverse at 100% open throttle so my truck started going full throttle across the living room and slammed into the table..and basically was at full throttle everytime it was on until i figured out how to re calibrate the esc...

So my second motor kinda runs on the hot side and sometimes cogs at lowspeeds...which is annoying..but im going to switch it with my other one because i only use 2s on my other p4de.

But The first motor stays cool and is smooth as butter and very very powerful.

But i must warn you you will need Mips or some sortr of upgraded driveshafts
    This isnt a must...but i stripped my desperadoes and am going up to 17mm rims now...so i suggest you save your money and rims and just do it from the start if possible.
    I am in a dilemma since both of you guys have positive feedbacks on the Tenshock SC401v2 3400kv and Tacon 3674 1900kv.

The difference between them is price and pole. The Tenshock SC401v2 3400kv is $68.99 shipped on ebay and Tacon 3674 1900kv is $36.15 shipped from hobbypartz.com. The Tenshock is 4-pole and the Tacon is a 2-pole. Running 4-pole is the better way to go handles more watts of power.

It's just a matter of preference now.
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 03-05-2013 at 11:43 AM.

What ever motor you go for it will be better than stock but i still say go TENSHOCK......peace

RC Qualifier
    Yeah you definitely want to go the 4 pole route as long as you're changing ESC as well. VXL only supports 2 pole. 4 pole is going to give you more power and lower operating temps which is never a bad thing.
    True words dude .....peace
    If I choose the tenshock I plan to use the ******* ********* 150A esc. If chose the tacon I plan to use the hobbywing pro sct 120A esc.
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 03-05-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Brand edited... That particular brand is banned on the forum

RC Qualifier
    What ever motor you go for it will be better than stock but i still say go TENSHOCK......peace
    Which esc is better for the Tenshock SC401v2 3400kv? Hobbywing pro sct 120A esc or ******* ********* 150A esc?

The other ESC is a banned brand on the forum. I'm pretty sure you know what that brand is.

Hobbywing pro sct 120a people are using it in e maxx and other bigger trucks and truggy's......peace

RC Qualifier
    Hobbywing pro sct 120a people are using it in e maxx and other bigger trucks and truggy's......peace
    Cool! I'm all set with the Hobbywing pro sct 120a.

Thanks again!

RC Qualifier
    The Tenshock SC401 V2 3400 is rated at 130 amps and the Hobbywing pro sct 120A ESC is only rated at 120 amps. Has anyone run the Tenshock on a ESC that can Handle more and see how it does?

RC Qualifier
    The tacon 2800kv is only a 2 pole and max voltage is 12.6 and 1600 watts....The tenshock v2 3400kv is 4 pole max voltage 21 and 2000 watts of power just so you guys can see the performance difference ......peace
    The tacon is a 1/8 scale motor....you cant compare it to a 1/10 th scale for power...
    a 1/8th scale will always have more power
    but 4 poles is attractive and tenshocks are made better imo if thats what it boils down to...
    but if you want power on the cheap cheap you also have my opinion on that...
    Last edited by blazer; 03-05-2013 at 08:53 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hwdriver View Post
    The Tenshock SC401 V2 3400 is rated at 130 amps and the Hobbywing pro sct 120A ESC is only rated at 120 amps. Has anyone run the Tenshock on a ESC that can Handle more and see how it does?
    From reading the specs on the motor..I believe the 130 amps rated on the motor is the max amps rating. I don't know how much is the cont amps rating though on that motor. The hobbywing esc has a cont amps rating of 120A which should be sufficient. The burst ratings on that esc is 760A which should be more then enough for the max amps rating on the motor. Not really sure nut I think it should be more then enough power to handle that motor. The only worry you should have is to use high discharge batteries. I dont have both but planning to get the sc401 sc8 combo soon. Just waiting for my money to come in.

The motor and esc are a sweet match together and blazer i know your motor is a monster and was not ripping on it.And yes the esc burst peak is mint and you can not go wrong with the hobbywing and tenshock combo.....peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by saternal View Post
    The only worry you should have is to use high discharge batteries.
    How do you determine if it is a high discharge battery? Are basically all lipo batteries high discharge or is there something special you have to make sure they are?

Good packs have a high mah and c rating like my 2s are 6000mah with a 65-130c output and keeps my hobbywing and tenshock combo very happy .....peace

RC Qualifier
    Think of it like this....

Mah is how long you get to play. Higher the number - longer the run time.

C rating is the power. Again higher the better upon till the point where the esc can't use it. You'll see things like 20-30c. 20 is normal operating power the 30 is burst. It can output that in short spurts. :-)

RC Qualifier
    So there is no advantage in getting a battery that's over say 130 amps if the ESC and motor can only use 120 amps. Will it hurt the ESC to have a battery that's rated at more than the ESC is?

Yes there is an advantage Because the esc does bursts of 760amps and no this setup is very amp hungry so the better the battery the better the punch and performance it will give and less chance of the lipo getting damaged....peace