RC Competitor

Bigger Tires/Which ones are good?

Guys,
    As the name of the thread implies, I want to run bigger tires on my Jato. Which ones are good, what size and how do I change the gearing? I know I have to do something with the gearing. Currently running a 57 tooth on the spur gear. Which one do i change? The spur gear or the smaller clutch gear? All this is for running in the dirt if thats not obvious. Thanks for any inputs.

RC Qualifier
    I run proline Moabs on my Rustler. They used to be on my jato 2.5. It raised the ground clearance and I didn't change ny gearing. Proline badlands will probably look similar as far as height.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Qualifier
    2nd Thumbup on the Proline Badlands 2.8". Great tire for off road in dirt, gravel and low grass.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod

RC Qualifier
    I love the Proline Trencher, but be careful what you wish for. When I put them on my Jato was when I started having problems with everything between the trenchers and the engine. With bigger tires you would need to lower the ratio to keep the rpm rang near stock. But with mine I like a little higher gear ratio, It seems faster without pushing it as hard.
    Last edited by Mark Ball; 03-18-2013 at 08:12 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    agreed ^^ i got the trenchers too crazzy tiress, u want to change the smaller clutch bell to a 20 tooth, the stock is a 24 tooth the lower tooth count increases acceleration, decreases top speed (just a bit), deceases pressure on the engine and tranny.

RC Champion
    I ran trencher 2.8's on my old Jato with 20/58 gearing. Ran great, only problem I had was a really wide turning radius if you are on the street. off road you can basically kick the rear around to turn using the throttle.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

3rd Thumbup on the Proline Badlands 2.8"!

Last edited by RC-Crazy; 04-29-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Slash PE & Ja-two.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    I ran trencher 2.8's on my old Jato with 20/58 gearing. Ran great, only problem I had was a really wide turning radius if you are on the street. off road you can basically kick the rear around to turn using the throttle.
    You can help increase your turning radius buy putting smaller tires on front. The only problem with that is I couldn't find A 4" tire with any off road grip. So I ended up with dirt hawgs that I drilled and put screws in, now it almost has too much grip. On the street I just use anaconda's, I don't drive on pavement much anyways.