RC poster

1/16 scale Summit VXL, should i get one?

I have been thinking about getting a Summit VXL but is it the right truck for me? I've always had 1/10 scales. Is it big enough to do what a 1/10 scale can do? Is it a good basher and is it fast? Should i get this or am i better off with a Slash 4x4 brushless?

RC Qualifier
    It's all about what you want...it's easier to transport, it's fast, durable and yes good basher
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Champion
    I agree with the above.
    With a few inexpensive mods...the Summit can be a great basher.
    I'd suggest swapping to merv rockers,and upgrading to merv axles and RPM arms.
    You'll lose about 3/8" ground clearance and about the same in wheelbase...but it will be a tougher machine after those mods.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC poster
    I think I might go with the summit. But what battery's do you guys run? Are you running veilneon?

RC Champion
    Mine is a Brushless Velineon.
    I have both 2s and 3s Lipos.
    To be honest...2s is plenty.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TRXtruckracer View Post
    I have been thinking about getting a Summit VXL but is it the right truck for me? I've always had 1/10 scales. Is it big enough to do what a 1/10 scale can do? Is it a good basher and is it fast? Should i get this or am i better off with a Slash 4x4 brushless?
    Don't see what people see in the slash, kid had one at the park, it looked like a piece of garbage and drove about the same.

As for 1/16th, no its much smaller. I drive over my sons Summit with my LST2 to make him laugh. They are light though and it is fun to drive when he lets me drive it.

Not crazy about the build quality but so far its holding up. Really just get the plastic merv axles when you break the summit axles and it should hold up okay. There is a lot of slop though throughout so steel hollow balls and someway to fix the slop in the axle carriers would be next. I would search around. I got mine for 285 shipped to my door. Wouldn't really want to pay more than that.

And honestly if it was for me, I'd probably get the mini revo.

RC Qualifier
    I had the slash when it first came out. It was Realy fun for speed runs, and that's about it. It wasn't good in any other terrain. I now have a MERV and a summit. I Realy like them both.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Qualifier
    I like my summit and with a few upgrades it is durable, as for bats I would go with the SPC 2s ones, nice thing is you can swap out a few pieces and have a merv for the speed runs and for bashing swap back out for the summit for off roading. Shim the diffs when you get it several thread post in here with the link if you look. Its a fun little truck, I recommend it over a slash. but again depends on what you want to do with it.
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC poster
    Yeah but isn't the truck kind of too small? That's the only thing that's stopping me from buying it. I wish it was a 1/10 scale or if the 1/8 was cheaper.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

RC Racer
    i would not buy the summit 1/16. i have driven them alot. they flip over way to much. there a little to fast for the suspention they have u go like 10 mph and turn it rolls down the street. if u get it get it for trail riding. and slow small crawling. i have a summit 1/10 its amazing nothing like the 1/16 and i had a merv that did 60 it also just fliped when u turn. but thats just my two pennys. good luck with ur decision.
    NO U CANT DRIVE MY SUMMIT!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TRXtruckracer View Post
    Yeah but isn't the truck kind of too small? That's the only thing that's stopping me from buying it. I wish it was a 1/10 scale or if the 1/8 was cheaper.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    it is small but its a fun truck, you can take it anywhere pretty easily, batteries are small, you can charge them quick etc. My 1/8th scale lst2 is much more involved than this little truck, plus anything becomes an obstacle where with the bigger trucks, it can get boring. It also comes down to money too. I got this one shipped to my door for 285. I got 2 batteries for it for under 20 bucks and its a fast fun little truck.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    it is small but its a fun truck, you can take it anywhere pretty easily, batteries are small, you can charge them quick etc. My 1/8th scale lst2 is much more involved than this little truck, plus anything becomes an obstacle where with the bigger trucks, it can get boring. It also comes down to money too. I got this one shipped to my door for 285. I got 2 batteries for it for under 20 bucks and its a fast fun little truck.
    A VXL at your door for $285? Was that brand new? Please provide a link I would like to get a second one.
    XO-1, Summit VXL

RC Champion
    I agree on the $285...I have a buddy wanting one.
    Where from for that price?
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    mine was about 315 shipped to my door, from tower they price matched stormer hobbies at 305...

RC Racer
    Future shop had them shipped for $285 in January, now they are $365.00 shipped.

RC Qualifier
    stormerhobbies still has it at 304.95 and towerhobbies if you call them will price match it but you cant use any other coupons, but when I ordered mine Tower was $345 for it and I got I think 50 off for being over 350, I ordered a couple other items...so it was the same anyway...

RC Qualifier
    I got mine from mammoth hobbies, they price matched another place and I believe through in 5 dollars off which is how I got the deal. I don't remember the place though, I think it was active powersports that I used for the price match.

RC Qualifier
    and I disagree with the trail riding and slow small crawling, its a mini monster truck its not meant for the speed cornering its a monster truck style with high center of gravity, with that said it still can make the speed runs just slow it down when it turns and you can blaze thru some trail riding and crawling, this truck wont do it doesn't have locking diffs but it will still go thru plenty with the 4wd and get some different tires on it and this little truck will amaze you on what it can go thru... swap a few parts and make it a merv style for some 40+mph speed runs too...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    Don't see what people see in the slash, kid had one at the park, it looked like a piece of garbage and drove about the same.
    It is the same truck as the Revo and Summit, the only difference is the suspension travel.