RC Competitor

Tenshock SC401v2 3400kv/3800kv

I'm gonna buy a tenshock sc8 combo pretty soon but still cant make my mind up whether to get the 3400kv or 3800kv motor. In my mind the following conditions come into play.

1. I am staying in tropical climate..its summer everyday.between 28degrees to 32degrees(celcius)
    2. I am a basher only
    3. I mostly only use 2s Lipo 40c batteries but may use 3s once in a while
    3. I wanna do wheelies to show off my truck
    4. I want it to be fast
    5. I mostly do street bashing but will go off road once in a while

Pls Help me choose the right motor KV for my P4de.

I would go for the 3400kv because the v2 motors run cooler and its lower kv means you can gear it quite high and the torque will be awesome.I can wheelie mine the whole street if i want on a 2s 6000mah 65-130c pack and running it with a 17t pinion and 54t spur its faster than a stock pede on 3s and when you do go for a spin with a 3s pack you will still be smiling when you go to bed dude...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Choose a lower kv < or = 3000?
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

the lowest kv they do in this is 3400kv and its more than enough for what the guy needs dude trust me i have had mine now for 7 months and i love it....peace

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    I would go for the 3400kv because the v2 motors run cooler and its lower kv means you can gear it quite high and the torque will be awesome.I can wheelie mine the whole street if i want on a 2s 6000mah 65-130c pack and running it with a 17t pinion and 54t spur its faster than a stock pede on 3s and when you do go for a spin with a 3s pack you will still be smiling when you go to bed dude...peace
    Thanks for the fast response. With the same gearing? Which will be faster and more powerful? The VXL system or the tenshock sc401 3400kv?

The tenshock by miles and just to let you know the vxl pushes out about 1000w and the tenshock about 2000w and will run so much cooler....peace

The tenshock by miles and just to let you know the vxl pushes out about 1000w and the tenshock about 2000w and will run so much cooler....peace
    I doubt that the Tenshock will do that on 2S. It might need more voltage to produce that amount of power.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the help. I take your word for it. was kinda thinking of getting a new vxl system but u made my mind up for me. Will 40c-80 discharge rate lipo be enough for the sc401 motor?

RC Qualifier
    Check out SPC racing for batts, they have a 6500 50c 2s for less than 50 dollars and they have a great reputation around here.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by snookerd1206 View Post
    Check out SPC racing for batts, they have a 6500 50c 2s for less than 50 dollars and they have a great reputation around here.

Sent from my iPhone 5
    the lipos u suggested are not available to me here in my country. Its easier for me to get revolectrix batteries. Was gonna go for revolectrix softcase 5200mah 2s 40-80c discharge rate. I heard tenshock motors need higher discharge rate. Will 40c with 80c burst be enough?

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words and banned websites or brands to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-03-2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Content

RC Qualifier
    I would try to get the highest c rated ones that you can, at least 5000 mah and 40c or above should be fine, but if possible I would suggest a higher c rated battery, more power never hurts, can't have too many amps, the higher the c rating the more punchier it will feel and the batts will hold their voltage levels better. Good luck to you, and god bless

Sent from my iPhone 5

Quote Originally Posted by snookerd1206 View Post
    I would try to get the highest c rated ones that you can, at least 5000 mah and 40c or above should be fine, but if possible I would suggest a higher c rated battery, more power never hurts, can't have too many amps, the higher the c rating the more punchier it will feel and the batts will hold their voltage levels better. Good luck to you, and god bless

Sent from my iPhone 5
    He is so right the better the out put on the packs the better performance you will get back from your new setup....peace

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    I doubt that the Tenshock will do that on 2S. It might need more voltage to produce that amount of power.
    Thats the max each motor can deliver on 3s packs....peace
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-03-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: post merge

Thats the max each motor can deliver on 3s packs....peace
    The specs say 130A and 24V max for the 3400 and 155A / 21V for the 3800. You would need 180A for 2000W on 3S....

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    The specs say 130A and 24V max for the 3400 and 155A / 21V for the 3800. You would need 180A for 2000W on 3S....
    My bad dude not reading it right first time but they are awesome motors....peace

My bad dude not reading it right first time but they are awesome motors....peace
    No problemo. Just wanted to make things clear. Otherwise people are looking for way too powerful (and expensive) batteries.

No doubt that they are great motors. Not from personal experience, but I heard nothing but positive feedback.

Had mine for over 7 months in my pede 4x4 and its a monster on 2s and 3s and the temps have never gone over 151f on 3s doing speed runs the whole pack......peace

It's nice to have enough power without heat problems. It's a serious challenge to get my MMP/2650 above warm.

RC Competitor
    Had mine for over 7 months in my pede 4x4 and its a monster on 2s and 3s and the temps have never gone over 151f on 3s doing speed runs the whole pack......peace
    What lipos u using spennie? I heard that 5200mah 2s lipos won;t even last me 15 mins of bashing. i Only have 2 x 5200mah 40c lipos. On stock vxl I could run those for 30 mins while bashing. That motor really does draw lots of power doesnt it. Shorter run time but much better speed and torque.

You should get about 15 to 20 mins out of your packs i use 6000 mah 65-130c pack and get about 30mins and yes shorter run time but double the fun...peace

RC Competitor
    I bought a 3800 ten shock motor and u said dermal work had to be done. what did u have to do thanks

RC Qualifier
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky17 View Post
    dremelling needs to be done to fit the motor.. that sheds a new light on things for me. I removed my centre driveshaft cover so that shouldnt be a problem. But I need to remove one of the esc posts as well. Problem is I don't have a dremel. Guess its time to buy 1. I will need to get 1 sooner or later. Btw spennie, ur motor is the 3400kv motor right?

RC Qualifier
    Make sure you buy a new Pinion....it's a 5mm shaft on the TenShock. The stock wont fit.

Yeah 5mm 32 dp pinions are the ones you want i would start with 14t or 15t check temp and move on from there...peace

RC Qualifier
    How's the 3400kv on 3s? Anybody have any experience on it?

RC Racer
    I plugged in a 3s for the first time and smoked my esc just a few days ago. Before that I had a mmp that didn't work right out of the box. Man I must've angered the RC gods.

I have had days like that saying why me dude??..............peace