RC Enthusiast

Engine alternatives

Hey, I'll likely be buying a roller from someone soon and I would like to know what engine options there are for the slayer pro. I've heard a couple mixed reviews about the traxxas 3.3 so I want to see if there are any better options that are a direct fit. Thanks in advance!

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ger-big-blocks...

This thread has some good info on it. Pretty much any motor can be made to fit big or small block. The general range for motor size for this truck is a .21 up to a .28.

RC Competitor
    OS makes a direct fit .21TM engine. Tower Hobbies Part #LXRTM2.

That being said, the TRX 3.3 is a great motor. Follow the breakin procedures and it should give you plenty of performance. I have 2 TRX 3.3s and 1 TRX 2.5 and all of them run great.

RC Competitor
    Agreed, 3.3 is excellent IMOP. YouTube ckeithnitro nitro slayer pro big block though, that thing rips!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Jrmclln..
    I modded a 3.3 for my Tmaxx project and it rips..very happy with it..
    Just uploaded a vid on my channel of it jumping and ripping in the snow today...
    It's almost time to fire up the SlayerPro BigBlock too..test that new pipe out with the .28

RC Racer
    I like the 3.3 for the space i have its got plenty of power for now....
    I'm hittin' easy street on mud tires.

RC Competitor
    The 3.3 is definetly solid all around good motor. But if and when it goes I'm going to the losi 3.4. It's a 100$ shipped and from what I've seen , it puts out a lot more torque than the 3.3

RC Racer
    My original 3.3 was running perfect when I pulled it out and put in an OS .21TM I picked up for a song. It was fast before, it's insane now.
    Slash 4x4
    Slayer Pro
    Nitro 4-Tec 3.3

RC Competitor
    SFT2- the guys at my LHS keep tryin to get me to buy the o.s 21tm. Is there that much more performance than the 3.3? Especially with that $270.00 price tag.

RC Racer
    I bought mine for $20 with a scraped up head and no manifold, then spent $75 or so on a new head, so for $100, yup. I wouldn't replace a perfectly good 3.3 with one for full price, though. Without traction control turned on it'll light up all four corners, which sucks for acceleration. It's a ton of power.

Now if I could just cram this .70 4 stroke in there...
    Slash 4x4
    Slayer Pro
    Nitro 4-Tec 3.3

RC Racer
    Ok, I actually read what I'm replying to. If you want to keep the electric start, go with a 3.3 or OS. Wait, I have a spare 3.3, don't I? Yup, there it is. I knew I had one around here somewhere. I have entirely too many engines around here. There's a shelf with an Evolution .52, OS .70 Ultimate 4-stroke, and Traxxas 3.3 taking up space my wife would rather be occupied by the trucks I e scattered around the house.
    Slash 4x4
    Slayer Pro
    Nitro 4-Tec 3.3