Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    OK I finally got off my lazy butt and made a new steel cradle for the new (larger rear steering servo. Or at least tried, its nearly impossible to bend 1/8 inch steel into small 90degree angles ( is superman available) so again back to aluminum. But this time 1/8 inch thick aluminum . Seems nice and strong thus far.

Still drilling the holes for mounting
    Last edited by noir 522; 09-08-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

Also still in the hunt for tires that are as soft as stock tires but can easily bolt up to my stock 23mm hex hubs. I refuse to go back to 17mm hubs, nothing wrong with 17mm its just every wheel and tire in my collection is 23mm based, and I'm stubborn

Found some 23mm bead lock rims in chrome . Easy offed the chrome and dyed them black

They are 3.2 MT size rims perfect for a set of Losi Claw My tires. These tires come in a soft compound that compares to stock but are a lil tougher than stock and allows mounting to these 3.2 my 23 mm bead lock rims

Last edited by noir 522; 09-08-2013 at 02:23 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

I have now seen the claws in person ....I would like a set myself now they look good and seem to grab here quite well.rock rage nah.....losi claws are what I'm looking at now

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

ONLY ONE ONE ISSUE!!!!

I got a sweet deal on the used tires, BUT they are the pre- 2009 Losi Claws (bashing tires) not the soft compound post 2009 Losi claw MT (open tread design)

old hard style (basher)

new open tread crawling style

Unfortunately - Im stuck with them. At least untill I collect enough paypal RC buying money to buy the proper tires. This way I follow my budget - I must sell some old stuff prior to buying some new stuff.

But thinking outside the box

most people star- cut the inner foams to get more surface area and traction for serious rock crawling . . . . . . . .

what if one were to simply insert smaller foams?

For a crawler specific application (ie no high speed stuff) this would yield a consistently large contact patch and no up and down bobbing movement created by the spikes of the star tipped foams.

[IMG][/IMG]

I cant find a smaller foam in my collect of junk so tomorrow I am off to Anna's Linen to try and find a large foam sheet to cut into strips
    Last edited by noir 522; 09-08-2013 at 04:29 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    I have now seen the claws in person ....I would like a set myself now they look good and seem to grab here quite well.rock rage nah.....losi claws are what I'm looking at now

Sent using lipo power
    yea those Rock Rages disappointed me also
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

My moabs and now trenchers
    Have the smaller foam effect.
    Old school style, water and 12 million miles on em. Lol
    Same effect dead foam is a bit like smaller foam.interested in this mysel. make custom foam "packs" so to speak.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

There was a lot of cutting, trimming and cursing involved to get the big mug to fit in such a tight space , but the Hitec is now home. Tomorrow I will kick the bec up to 7.4 volts and start working on the Losi wheels.

MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

OK the steering is back together, now I'm trying out some new tires.
    I got a sheet of foam cushing from Michael's craft shop. Its the same 2" thinkness as the original foams but it is more pliable and is made into layers. I plan to peel the layers to about 3/4 thickness of the original foams. After gluing the ends I will bolt them into the bead lock rims

Foam sheet

Layers
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

Ok I stuffed the tires. Approximately 1.5" in the rear and just over 1" in the fronts. Mostly to increase flexibility in the front wheels and sustain power in the rear.

Word to the wise , anyone who is thinking about beadlock rims I strongly suggest a $5 battery powered screw driver from Walmart . I screwed all 96 screws in less than 25 minutes (by hand my previous record was near two hours ) Since its battery powered its low torque but still fast. Out of 96 screws I only stripped 1.

Srewed and ready to mount

Last edited by noir 522; 09-18-2013 at 05:18 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    I can't wait to see that tire deformation with your experimental foam... plz post some pics after you go out crawling.
    Brushless 19/62 SPC 8.2 It's not a Tekin or a MM

Mounted

Flexibility/ deformation is "OK". I am considering running the front tires with no foam at all. This tire's carcass is much thicker than the stock Canyon tires. I think the post 2002 Losi tires would fare a lot better.

But they do look Dang good - Back spacing with these rims is tight, I may have to dremel 2 mm off of my tink link connection point to relieve the rubbing.
    Last edited by noir 522; 09-18-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

Quote Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
    I can't wait to see that tire deformation with your experimental foam... plz post some pics after you go out crawling.
    A bit disappointed in the thickness of these tires - they are built tough with stiff side walls, I think I'm gomna put the 1 inch foams in the rears and run the fronts empty.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Competitor
    I'm planning on buying a Spektrum DX4S radio for my 4WS Summit 1/5 buggy. I'm not sure on how you got the steering to work.

Quote Originally Posted by warnerhouse View Post
    I'm planning on buying a Spektrum DX4S radio for my 4WS Summit 1/5 buggy. I'm not sure on how you got the steering to work.
    actually Spektrum made it simple. It has a 4ws set up pre-programmed in the radio. All you have to do is selected the correct servo, set its end points and select the button to activate it.

also has telemetry

MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Competitor
    What other hardware do I need as far as the receiver is concerned?

the radio comes with the 4 channel receiver - this is all you need to run a 4ws system , just plug in the rear steering servo in channel 4 (aux 2) select steering as the master, and aux 2 as the slave, go into the 4ws setting and set the endpoint and which switch to use to change the steering settings (front steering vs rear steering vs 4ws ). Initially understanding the set up is kinda complicated - when you get your radio I can pm you the pictures of my screen settings. I tried to find someone to give detailed explanations but SEEING the screen is a lot easier.

Also register your radio with Spektrum and you can download the first radio software upgrade (uses mini SD card). the newest software gives the graphic depictions of the current steering mode (see my previous post) and also has additional set ups like dual steering/ dual motor set ups.

as I mentioned before you can still use channel 3 for your low gear and diff servo but (using the summit electronic diff lock module) and the 3 position switch setting you can select low gear THEN lock both diffs.

. To run telemetry you have to buy the 3 channel telemetry receiver or the telemetry module. I am not sure how the telemetry module works.
    Last edited by noir 522; 09-24-2013 at 09:45 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Competitor
    Thank you for the details. It gave me a clearer idea of what channel does what.

Due to the stiff sidewalls these claw tires are not deforming as well as I would have liked. Still searching forthe ultimate climbing tire. So once I finish them I will try on these Canyon AT 40 series BOLTZ

MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    Noir- am assuming you have a bolt on the back side of those nuts, have you tried them with the bolt out? Have considered doing the same thing only using 3 mm X 6 mm Long with the extra length on the outside with the nut this winter.
    Last edited by Edstoys; 10-29-2013 at 03:51 AM.
    Endeavoring to persevere !

Quote Originally Posted by Edstoys View Post
    Noir- am assuming you have a bolt on the back side of those nuts, have you tried them with the bolt out? Have considered doing the same thing only using 3 mm X 6 mm Long with the extra length on the outside with the nut this winter.
    Actually that is not a bad idea. I would not want the bolts to be very long though, with the space it would create one would loose the natural traction provided by the tire.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

Just goofing off with the hill descent/ drag brake setting. Nice and slow descents. Bare with me, its my first YouTube upload.

MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    can`t see the video is private..nice body

OK so let's try that again.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    That is pretty cool. You have one of the best looking summits imo
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

these are just test videos.

4 wheel steering demo, high speed (a whopping 18mph) versus low speed. That ugly knocking sound is the front wheels hitting the fender - will trim it soon.
    Again please bare with me, we are talking controller in the left hand and camera in the right.

MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

These old style Losi claws with the custom foams work well and grip great. I was loving them. . . . .
    until I mounted the mudslingers. All the areas I had to maneuver across with the Losi Claws were simply devoured by the extra height of the mudslingers. The mudslingers grip is not as good as the Losi but I have yet to trim the lugs or break them in.

Losi claws climbing a rock pile

MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

Mudslinger video, crawling the same rock pile

I also finally purchased a set of the new softer style Losi claws, but I think Ill stick with the mudslingers.

Next I will be testing a set of Big Joes and then I will see of this set of ridiculously tall RC4WD rock crushers are actually good on the rocks.

MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    Nice vid and like the donuts in the end!

RC Racer
    Where did you get those fender flares from? I have one of those Hummer bodies brand new in the bag and I plan on painting it for one of my shelfers and those flares would be a nice touch!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Axial-1-10-S...item58b1b47ba4

They are from an axial crawler. See ebay link.

Axial AXI80040 1/10 CRAWLER
    Last edited by noir 522; 07-24-2014 at 07:38 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

Quote Originally Posted by revoman78 View Post
    That is pretty cool. You have one of the best looking summits imo
    thanks guy.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    Thanks for the link!

My 72t spur was getting chewed up by the 8t pinion. So I just purchased a steel 72t spur. Yes its gonna be louder but it's getting more and more bullet proof

(By the way I dont believe in instituting a "weak link")

gear ratios

stock (14t pinion : 68t spur)
    --------------
    high gear 25.34:1 - top speed 24.54mph
    low gear 70.18:1 - top speed 8.86mph

SumVee HDE (8t pinion : 72t spur)
    --------------
    high gear 46.90:1 - top speed 13.25mph
    low gear 130.0:1 - top speed 4.75mph

half the speed , DOUBLE THE TORQUE

Next on tap is a stronger slipper clutch. On my last outing my esc heated up due to all the slippage in my clutch.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Competitor
    post some videos
    1/10 Summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    unless you are parallel parking, that crab steer is useless, mostly for show.
    Guess you've never gone crawling with your summit?

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher_Jones View Post
    Guess you've never gone crawling with your summit?

Maybe there are some advantages, but going up a stone sideways, and stilll leaving the nose of the truck pointing in the wrong direction, does not bode well in most circumstances.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

Quote Originally Posted by Summit man View Post
    post some videos
    Will try, but at times its hard finding a camera man to stand out in the heat.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC poster
    if we're neighbors i'd be glad to do the video shooting for you. by the way, i'm planning to buy the RX8 ESC Gen2 can i just use it with my stock TItan motors? i'm not after for speed anyway. i just want an ESC capable of handling 8-10 kilogram load without getting too hot.

Yes the Tekin does have a brushless mode. Just tie off / cap the 3rd motor wire.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Yes the Tekin does have a brushless mode. Just tie off / cap the 3rd motor wire.
    Brushed mode*
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails