RC Champion

Question How do I rebuild an entire RC?!

I just cracked the stock chassis on my E-Maxx Brushless, necessitating a re-build on an aluminum chassis. Mechanically speaking, I'm dumber than a sack of diapers. I've upgraded shock towers, rod ends and A-arms without difficulty. But a complete rebuild is scary stuff...

I want to replace my bulkheads with aluminum and upgrade my diffs as long as I'm at it. So far, I've never taken apart either. It seems like this is going to be a two-month project, because I don't even know yet what parts or screws I'll need along the way. I'm afraid there will be a lot of stopping and starting, waiting for parts to arrive...and not knowing what to do next!

Where do you guys even begin when you do this, and how do you keep things organized?

What do you pull apart first?

Do you take detailed pictures of everything beforehand? If I'm changing out a lot of parts, the stock exploded view will be of limited use.

Do you keep entire assemblies in separate baggies?

What other general advice can you offer before I get started?

Thanks guys...
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Champion
    i always refer to the exploded views of my traxxas product here online. it helps alot. i try to keep things organized. ive rebuilt a t-maxx, or e-maxx so many times it aint funny. just got to dig in. utube is helpfull to. peace.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Champion
    Just take the whole thing apart. Just take it apart, every last piece and screw.
    You probably think I'm crazy but I'm not. You will be very surprised at how easy it is to get back together. It's really not hard at all. The first thing I do when I get e new rc (Used or new) is take the entire thing completely apart. That way I can check to make sure everything is good and nothing is broken.
    Everybody on this forum (Well, most of them lol) is extremely good at building and fixing rc's.
    It becomes second nature after awhile.
    So if you get lost while putting it back together just post up a picture of the part and we can tell you exactly where it goes.
    To keep organized just put all the screws in one pile and all the other stuff in the other. All the plastic parts like the chassis bulkheads, a arms, shock towers, etc can just go right into a big tub of hot soapy water for cleaning. Just scrub them all real good.To clean the diffs take them apart and wipe out the inside of the housing with a clean rag and get all the old grease out.
    For the diff gears same as the other parts. (Just put them in a seperate conatiner so as not to get grease all over the other parts. Remove all the grease from the old gears using dawn dish soap and toothbrush. Then let them dry and reassemble with fresh grease.

Don't put your tires in the water because you will never get it out of the foams
    Last edited by upbasher; 03-02-2013 at 03:57 PM.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by upbasher View Post
    Just take the whole thing apart. Just take it apart, every last piece and screw.
    Afraid. So very afraid...

RC Champion
    use a screw organizer box or something similar, (ice cube tray) to hold all the different screws. A magnetic mat helps, or something similar (magnetic ironing board cover cut to a good size) to catch any dropped screws. The exploded views are needed. use the correct size and type tool, wrong tool = wrecked screws. Might be worth buying a set of new screws before the challenge. I started to change mine to hex heads.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Qualifier
    put it on the table take each area apart take pictures of that area and sit the pieces from that area in a spot by their selves and repeat for each section put the screws back into the pieces it goes too if possible. then rebuid by looking at picture and gathering pieces from the spot with that area in it...
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Champion
    Plastic sandwich bags help too... separated by sections.
    I took my Summit completely apart last night...and had to order parts before I can put it all back together.
    I have every section in it's own Ziploc sandwich bag.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    The plastic pieces are easy to figure out...just make sure you are organized enough so you know which screws go where and there shouldn't be a problem
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    Afraid. So very afraid...
    Seriously dude its not hard. Theres no need to be afraid.
    If you want you can pm me for help if you need it while trying to reassemble
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Champion
    It might seem scary but it's not that hard. If anything traxxas rc's are the easiest to take apart and put back together. Most user friendly IMO.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

Get a screw kit off ebay then you have all the screws you need, just stay away from rcscrewz they are not very good.

Sent from my Torch!
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Qualifier
    Yep it's not that hard, if you need take pics during teardown, and but screws back were you took them out if if you can.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    only way to learn your rc is to take it apart, i'm a big traxxas fan and almost every RC i owned are built from the ground up. give it a try and if you stumble into something not familiar, you always have us here to back you up.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Champion
    yep, take the front and rear bulkheads off from the chassis then you have three separate sections to work on, this will make it easier for you. And remember which way the diff housings face by the screw heads on them.

RC Champion
    Guys, I greatly appreciate all the help thus far...

RC Qualifier
    Last edited by 4-wheelin; 03-03-2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: This post was just kind of summing up the posts above.
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

I take it apart and put all my bits in a plastic tub and with great patience put back together...it gets easier the more you do it.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Good news...I got the wheels off!

Seriously, I'm getting started right now and will be implementing all this great advice. I've got my camera ready, my plastic bags, and some patience. Thanks for the encouragement.

RC Champion
    Good news...I got the wheels off!

Seriously, I'm getting started right now and will be implementing all this great advice. I've got my camera ready, my plastic bags, and some patience. Thanks for the encouragement.
    Good Luck and have fun!
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Champion
    Well, I did it. I actually took it apart, one screw at a time, then put it all back together. And it wasn't that difficult. It took me maybe 8 hours total. There were no directions for the FLM chassis and combo bulks -- just chunks of aluminum and a pile of screws. But I was able to figure it out. Thanks for all the help guys...great advice!

RC Qualifier
    I took apart my revo last week, without the help of anything and i'm suprised about how well this car is put together. Everything is very easy to dissassemble and assemble again . Can really advice everyone to do it at least once, so you really get to know your car.

RC Champion
    Well, I did it. I actually took it apart, one screw at a time, then put it all back together. And it wasn't that difficult. It took me maybe 8 hours total. There were no directions for the FLM chassis and combo bulks -- just chunks of aluminum and a pile of screws. But I was able to figure it out. Thanks for all the help guys...great advice!
    Quite easy really, well done, a few more times and you'll like it more. I'm surprised, since it's posted in the e-revo section and not the emaxx section. Well done anyway

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    I'm surprised, since it's posted in the e-revo section and not the emaxx section. Well done anyway
    Yeah, thanks...I meant to post it in Emaxx.

RC Champion
    Too much excitement.
    When you took it apart, you did change all the lubes, diffs and shocks.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    Too much excitement.
    When you took it apart, you did change all the lubes, diffs and shocks.
    I re-lubed/re-greased the diffs, switched to FLM combo bulks and big bores with extra stiff copper springs. And it runs flawlessly (That's the part I don't get!! ) I took a ton of pictures, working on it in three sections like you suggested. Kept everything labeled and in baggies.

This is a major confidence booster...thanks Trax and everyone else.