Thread: Stupid NIMH!

RC Racer

Stupid NIMH!

Two of my series 1 traxxas batteries are already stupid! I have 4 of them and got them all on Christmas. Two of only run at almost full power when they are warmed up. If I put them in front of the heater then use them they are almost normal. If I don't they take about half of the battery life to warm up and start working. Anyone know why? I have been using the traxxas ez peak charger on 1 amp. I let the batteries cool before using/charging them. I never let sit of 2 hours without charging them. I only run until the car starts slowing down. Anyone know why they could be doing this?
    MERV, Broken Alias.

Maybe I'd call Traxxas on this one. I even tried to cycle your batteries with my Traxxas EZ Peak plus and it didn't help at all... Try giving Traxxas a call.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Racer
    Ok I guess I will on Monday. I can't wait till lipos!
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Champion
    now that's backwards. Usually they will run better cold. Have you looked at the connections and make sure they are tight? sounds like a loose connection and its not making full connection until they warm up and expand

RC Racer
    So where the wires are connected? When I get home I will check. Thanks
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Champion
    Ya that's what it seems like. Look at your plug in connection. Is it nice and tight? Can u see any burn marks from arking?

Nimh do not run better cool. They accept a charge better when cool but they discharge better when warm. They even make battery warmers that racer's use in cold winter months. If you are in a cold environment it sounds perfectly normal to me that they would run better after sitting in front of the heater. You dont want them too hot they can suffer damage if they get over heated but warm is good when using them.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Strange cuz I get better off the line and strait out speed when mine are cold or room temp. Once they start warming up I can notice the difference as I can't even lift the front end

Best time to run a nimh pack is right when it comes off the charger and is warm. Usually a properly charged nimh will come off the charger around 120 give or take a degree or two.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    Strange cuz I get better off the line and strait out speed when mine are cold or room temp. Once they start warming up I can notice the difference as I can't even lift the front end
    That's the voltage drop you are experiencing
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL