RC Racer

Air compressor suggestions

Hi guys, I need a compressor for my work space. For now mostly for my cars but in the future will be used for jobs around the house,I want something not to loud. Any recomendations?
    Drive it.Break it.ebuild it.

RC Champion
    we have a porter cable that works real well
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Champion
    Here's one that's not loud.

For all the rest you'll have to find ways to muffle the sound. I have mine mounted in the attic.

Quote Originally Posted by walski29 View Post
    Hi guys, I need a compressor for my work space. For now mostly for my cars but in the future will be used for jobs around the house,I want something not to loud. Any recomendations?
    That part is going to be impossible... I have not heard one compressor yet that is capable of anything requiring serious pressure that I would consider quiet.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    That part is going to be impossible... I have not heard one compressor yet that is capable of anything requiring serious pressure that I would consider quiet.
    Agreed. Had a 3 stage 80 gallon from Mac and decided to build an enclosure for it to reduce the sound levels. Worked really good. Even my little 60 gallon compressor is really loud.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

Most of the noise originates from the intake... I have piped the intake outside into an insulated box on the side of the garage to muffle the interior and exterior noise. I have also stuffed the compressor out in the shed and piped the controls and air back into the garage to keep the noise out of the work area.
    That would be about the only way to make a "quiet" compressor.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Champion
    I agree...moving the compressor away from the work area is about the only way to make it quiet.
    I've had good luck with Campbell Hausfield compressors.(for a cheap one).
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

Don't wast your money on a combined pump/motor or oil-less pump, they don't last and always tend to stop working when you need them. I have had a couple, now I have a 60gallon devilbiss I picked up at an auction for $200 best money I ever spent on tools. If you find a good used deal and can get parts for it locally go for it. Compressors are very simple: pressure switch, motor, pump, tank, and connect it all together.

You may be thinking well I can save money by buying the oil-less, its got a warranty! Trust me the warranty isn't going to keep air flowing, my craftsman 3hp cheapie (not money cheap) has been repaired twice by sears and once by me and sits again in pieces in my garage. I have had it for 8-9 years, but have used it very little even when it did work. The "seal" that creates the pressure in the piston has worn/broken 2 times, the seal around the tube feeding the pump to the tank has also gone out 2 times not that the parts are expensive but its having time to actually go about ordering them and fixing it. I will eventually so I can get rid of it.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Racer
    I went and picked up a craftsman 1hp 125psi 3gal, had a sears gift card so it was 20$ out of pocket.. Happy with it
    Drive it.Break it.ebuild it.

You should have mentioned you wanted a small one, I got a pancake compressor from harbor freight for $39 and it is real quiet compared to the craftsman I have, I have it for doing trim work and when I need something small for airing up tires. The big one is for real work! Like blowing out my revo after a few runs!

You could have saved that gift card for a nice set of hex drivers or a rotary tool!

Sent from my Torch!
    Donít handicap children by making life easy