Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Servo change...

RC Competitor

Servo change...

I just broke my stock servo so I'm going to buy a new servo. I want one with metal gear but I want it to be waterproof. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Traxxas E-Revo Brushless 1/8
    2x2s 40c LiPos 24/54

RC Champion
    Tread lightly.lol.

Less drama if you go with a Hitec 5085.(plus...according to everything I've read...it's a great servo)
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfox View Post
    Tread lightly.lol.

Less drama if you go with a Hitec 5085.(plus...according to everything I've read...it's a great servo)
    I don't want any trouble...I just want to recommend the Hitec 5085 as well. Now I'm leaving.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Competitor
    Would a e flight ds76 or ds76t servo work. I have one lying around

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Traxxas E-Revo Brushless 1/8
    2x2s 40c LiPos 24/54

RC Qualifier
    Try it and See, if soo Then Yes and i also recommend the hitech 5085!!!!
    Last edited by RC-nightmare; 03-01-2013 at 08:26 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-nightmare View Post
    blue bird 390....
    Nooooo!!! The man's thread is gonna get closed! We've already had enough venom spewed for one day...

In a nutshell...the Hitec 5085 is the way to go. In 14 years of RC hobbies, I have never had a bad Hitec servo. "Buy cheap, buy twice."

Getting off my soapbox and finding a foxhole...

RC Qualifier
    my two cents and following Zippo out of this thread also...Hitec 5085, love mine bye now lol
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i do not recommend any servos at this time

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Blue Bird 390.... not a thing wrong with stating that.
    I have one and like it, but it is not waterproof.

HiTec does have a viable waterproof one, but it requires some work to get it installed as it is a bit larger than the opening for the servo.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    ROFL!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    better ask a mod first
    Last edited by 50togo; 03-01-2013 at 08:38 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    I don't want any trouble...I just want to recommend the Hitec 5085 as well. Now I'm leaving.
    I'm sorry you have to leave. Take care Zippo!
    Watch Out!!! My merv is a little green Hulk.

RC Qualifier
    Wait Whats Wrong 50togo, i thought you loved the 5085 hitech servo!! did it fail on you!

RC Qualifier
    better ask a mod first
    rotf with Zippo about spit my beverage across the desk ....thanks 50
    RC please see the closed thread from a little earlier today on the servo ?

RC Qualifier
    I obviously don't get the Joke

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My hitec is doing good
    Last edited by 50togo; 03-01-2013 at 09:19 PM.

RC Champion
    I obviously don't get the Joke
    There was another servo thread that got closed earlier today.
    It might not make complete sense now since it has been edited and closed...but you'll get the gist.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    I got... 50 Explained LOL

RC Qualifier
    Bluebird bms 390 dmh
    Been good so far... Got both

RC Qualifier
    Lol, careful 50, you'll get a ding on you're name like mine. You can make a 100 good posts, but all it takes is one bad one.

Yes you can drive the speed limit for years, but that won't excuse you from the ticket for 80 in a 55, will it?
    Threads are closed for good reasons. Some get too contentious, some go too far off topic, some have members who not only do not follow the forum rules, and some have members flagrantly display their defiance of the forum rules. The previous referenced thread had a bunch of the last two.
    Nobody says you can't have fun here - it's the purpose after all - but to find that funny and not embarrassing says a lot (negative) about some of us and our society as a whole.
    Members are given every chance to get and stay on they right track. If they don't, it's on them.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Haha, I didn't complain about getting dinged, it's you're house, you're rules, If I don't like it there are other houses. I have built forums and modded them also, I'm aware of both sides of this argument.

Guys stay on topic which is servos,,,,more off topic comments and this thread will end up like the last one and I dont think anyone wants that.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    How bout traxxas makes a servo that doesn't fry itself, I can handle the gears going but blowing up and taking the esc with it is not cool, they have to know the 2080 is a problem, can't blame people for trying to find a better servo...

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115 47' 34.8713"
    Quote Originally Posted by CHKMATE ELUDER View Post
    can't blame people for trying to find a better servo...
    +1.............
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

RC Qualifier
    I am With You 110% chkmate Also they know alot of their stuff is Crap sorry to say but they all know it, the 2080 servo burnt out on me a couple days ago and almost the esc, it started to smoke and i plug out everything and threw the servo and i saved it thank god. So i am going to buy a hitech and never have a problem again.. Traxxas should really see this and do something about it...... You guys are Number The NUMBER ONE COMPANY then be number 1 and have the best off the best same thing with the Titan motor but we arent on that topi,c so i don't wanna change it but yea TRAXXAS DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Tecboy View Post
    Let's have a resolution instead tearing each other down!
    wait whos getting tore down, i read this thread and didnt hink people were getting bashed on...

anyways i like the hitec85mg i got, its been great for almost a year now...

RC Champion
    I am With You 110% chkmate Also they know alot of their stuff is Crap sorry to say but they all know it, the 2080 servo burnt out on me a couple days ago and almost the esc, it started to smoke and i plug out everything and threw the servo and i saved it thank god. So i am going to buy a hitech and never have a problem again.. Traxxas should really see this and do something about it...... You guys are Number The NUMBER ONE COMPANY then be number 1 and have the best off the best same thing with the Titan motor but we arent on that topi,c so i don't wanna change it but yea TRAXXAS DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
    oh im sure they know about it and are working on it.... but most people also know stock servos, and manu specific servos arent what people use when customizing so its prolly just not a high priority, they dont specialize in servos... but i hear ya...

Quote Originally Posted by CHKMATE ELUDER View Post
    How bout traxxas makes a servo that doesn't fry itself, I can handle the gears going but blowing up and taking the esc with it is not cool, they have to know the 2080 is a problem, can't blame people for trying to find a better servo...
    NOT based on any inside knowledge I have from Traxxas but the word around the LHS is Traxxas did re work the 2080 servo and failures are down considerably since they did it. I need to make this clear this is only what the guys at the LHS have been saying but it is not unheard of for Traxxas to change an internal design on something and just roll with it without an announcement. I think if you look at this forum with an open mind you will see far fewer complaints about the 2080 now then when it was first released in the Revo/Slash
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    when did they maybe redo it?
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I think if you look at this forum with an open mind you will see far fewer complaints about the 2080 now then when it was first released in the Revo/Slash
    Well that doesnt change anything what so ever, we are still having the Problem!!!!

RC Champion
    after 10+ years hardcore rc experience i just order a upgraded steering servo with any vehicle i buy

they never ever meet my standards for torque, or speed... haha i never used mine in my merv, not once, haha...

Well that doesnt change anything what so ever, we are still having the Problem!!!!
    You may still be having issues and I did not say the 2080 is now bullet proof. I am not sure when or even for sure changes were in fact made but the LHS seems to think so and they are seeing a much lower failure rate. It is what it is a low cost RTR servo , most experienced RC people realize what that means and often upgrade to a better servo, I did.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    It is what it is a low cost RTR servo , most experienced RC people realize what that means and often upgrade to a better servo, I did.
    +100...............

ive had prolly 20+ hobby grade vehicles, most recently

savage x
    ofna hyper 7
    multiple tmaxx's
    mgt 8.0
    merv

all of them out of the box i upgraded servos on steering, didnt even try to use the stocker
    Last edited by kuskye25; 03-01-2013 at 10:48 PM.

RC Racer
    You may still be having issues and I did not say the 2080 is now bullet proof. I am not sure when or even for sure changes were in fact made but the LHS seems to think so and they are seeing a much lower failure rate. It is what it is a low cost RTR servo , most experienced RC people realize what that means and often upgrade to a better servo, I did.
    For me, being inexperienced and buying a cheap 1/16 grave digger for my son and having to spend $100 5 weeks later for a servo and esc it was a let down, it seems the xl5 and brushless esc's can handle the servo failure, the xl2.5 can not, lesson learnt for me.

RC Qualifier
    Ok her is a copy of the email and the response I got from traxxas saying they are pretty much unaware of the servo problem....I am not bashing traxxas I love them and their customer support is great they sent me a replacement but this is just what I was told over the servo issue.

At 03:21 PM 2/17/2013, you wrote:

I just ordered this and have had it about a week put 5 or 6 stock battery packs thru it and the steering servo (waterproof 2080) is bad in it. I have not ran it thru water or any big jumps nor have I hit anything full throttle and I have only been running 1 1200mah stock battery, what can I do to fix this I assume its under warranty still, being I have had it for about a week now and I have read that this is a on going issue with these that everyone has had to replace them not long after they got 1/16's summit/revo etc. I did register it (********************************************) Thanks in advance for your help I look forward to hearing back from you.

Larry

Hello Larry,

I am unaware that everyone has had to replace the servo. Unless you believe everything you read on the internet this is an obvious case of internet exaggeration.

I am sending a replacement servo to help get you going again. The servo gears provide an extreme amount of reduction so the little servo motor can turn or move much larger objects. Applying force from the wrong direction (Turning the steering servo by turning the front wheels) can easily damage the servo gears. This is especially true for micro servos like the 2080. Many people test their servos like this and do not realize that they just caused the failure they were checking for. This link shows how to rebuild a stripped servo. http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...GearINST_0.pdf

Set the steering end points on your transmitter so that the servo does not quite go to full lock in either direction. Also make sure nothing is binding in the steering linkage and causing unnecessary resistance for the servo.

Best regards,
    Steve Lindholm
    Traxxas Customer Service

Please include all previous e-mails in your response to prevent delays in receiving support.

If you need further assistance, please contact our Customer Service department Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 9:00pm Central Time at one of the following numbers:

US Customers 1-888-TRAXXAS (Toll Free)
    Outside of US 001-972-265-8000

again just sharing and traxxas is awesome and stands behind what they sell by replacing it for me free of charge!!!

RC Qualifier
    hmm Your Right but i think we should get off this guys thing we aren't even helping him find a servo anymore just debating on servo stuff!!!

RC Qualifier
    okay wait not just yet SEEE. but wait Traxxas does have awesome support and they did the same for me but he is still defending traxxas and saying that we are the one making a mistake.. we Arent the servo have mental issue the need to figure out with a counselor or something this is what happen to mine.

I woke up right before school ,just to try out my Truck because, i love it so much and it kept flicker forward back and servo turn in all directing clicks and ever thing and the esc was flashing red green green red red red green and the whole in tire Roygbiv and then the esc started to smoke i plug out everything and i touch the servo and it almost burning me and yet i didnt ever drive the thing that day..... so traxxas please tell me what stress, i put on the servo and i never crashed it into anything i am a VERY VERY careful driver!!!!! NOR DID I TEST HOW STRONG IT IS.. like really who does that.. its like they want it to break!!!
    Last edited by RC-nightmare; 03-01-2013 at 11:18 PM.

RC Racer
    I'm ordering a Hitec 5085 and a blue bird 390 to try, might as well try both since I have two 1/16 and can't make up my mind.

RC Racer
    When mine went it was the same R/C, just turned it, he drove 10 ft and it started smoking, never ever drove it in wet conditions either, the two I have now have been fine for a while, I had to change a gear on the one in the merv when I drove it the first time, I had the old servo to rob from so that didn't cost me nothin, lol