Thread: extended a arms

RC Racer

Question extended a arms

i was reading throught the 1/16 summitvxl parts manual and i realized theres more parts than the erevo vxl manual lol so anyways i want to have higher ride height but with that i know it will be more vulnerable to flipping so i want to widen the stance as well, i saw the wheel extention widener kit and i saw the extended a arms. now with the a arms would i need longer toe links?? if so can i get any?? and i was looking at a sway bar kit

suggestions??

thanks in advance

RC Champion
    Toe links are the same.
    For the ride height you will need the Summit Long Travel Rockers.
    The Summit rear arms will give you about a 3/8" longer wheelbase.
    Instead of the wheel extensions...I'd suggest just getting a wide offset wheel.
    The HPI split 5 is about the widest offset wheel I've found in a 2.2.(I have a set of black ones on backorder through my LHS).

I'm wanting sway bar kits for all 3 of my cars but none of our LHS's have them in stock.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Racer
    okay thanks

RC Qualifier
    dcfox, me and my son went through this backorder scenario with two of our LHS's, it didn't take us long to learn, We both just go straight to Ebay anymore and save the headaches. Sway bars sets are readily available there. Now I buy ALL my stuff through there. Most of these sellers are hobby shops and Traxxas retailers anyway.
    Sway bar sets
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Summit shock rockers
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...ckers&_sacat=0

RC Qualifier
    ok this is one thing I havent a clue on so you guys school me on this, what is the sway bar whats it for whats it do etc... thanks in advance
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber211 View Post
    ok this is one thing I havent a clue on so you guys school me on this, what is the sway bar whats it for whats it do etc... thanks in advance
    In hard cornering, it keeps the center body from rolling, which throws weight on the outside wheels and makes it want to roll over. When mine was stock height, I could see the body roll under moderate cornering. When the body rolls, it pulls and pushes on the arms, changing the geometry of the wheels, the camber. They may lean outwards, as the upper a arms push them out from body roll, which may make it want to roll over more. Be aware, sway bars come in different thicknesses, which change whether you are pushing, understeer, or over steer, steering to far into the turn.
    I would ease into the installation of sway bars, first putting one on the front, to see how well it controls the roll. Then the next smallest on the rear if needed.

RC Qualifier
    This T Maxx video gives a great example of body roll, watch how it affects the tires, the camber, as it rolls.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF81in808NQ

RC Qualifier
    Gotcha makes perfect sense, I know we are in revo jr land but in a summit jr what would you recommend for the front to start with? I would like to try it and see

RC Qualifier
    I would try the front first, since it you're steering. Hopefully 50togo will pipe up on this lol. My mini actually pushes in the curves, in other words it understeers and I have to let up for a milli second on the throttle, then it grabs and shoots around the turn. If I hold the throttle on, it will keep pushing throughout the turn. Now also be aware, a thick oil in the rear dif, may also make it understeer or push, as both rear tires are rather locked together and the outside rear can't speed up, to help the frt tires grab to make the turn. Then it will try to push the car straight, no matter which way you are steering.
    In demolition derby, locking the rear dif by welding the gears is the normal. BUT only because the track is usually wet and the rear tires can spin to let you steer.

RC Qualifier
    ok I will do some studying on this Old I just curious if it will help my summit from flipping so much, and keep my height I assume the answer is no ...

RC Qualifier
    It should help some, but the COG (center of gravity) makes a difference also. The higher it is, the more prone to rolling over it is. This very fact, is one of the reasons I dropped my mini some. Make a huge differance by just doing that. I might have dropped it 1/2 an inch, but just that, made a big change.

ETA alot fewer walks of shame lol

RC Qualifier
    ok so Im thinking I like my height but a 1/2 inch isn't much difference so guess I bite the bullet slap on some revo arms next and a sway bar to the front and see what I get from that...thanks for the help Old and Dc... much appriciated.

RC Champion
    COG is the main reason I want to switch my Summit's rockers to Merv rockers.
    I want to keep the factory arms for the 3/8" longer wheelbase though.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    The sway bars won't change the ride heigth, Just the roll. The other thing that affects some of this is, width. The wider the stance, the less affect body roll has on it. I'm kind of fighting this on a TMaxx right now, massive body roll and mulling over things to lesson that. Wider wheels are done, lower center of gravity done. But still not pleased. It doesn't roll over now, but it came at a price, less ground clearance...It's kind of a balancing act depending on what you plan to do with it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfox View Post
    COG is the main reason I want to switch my Summit's rockers to Merv rockers.
    I want to keep the factory arms for the 3/8" longer wheelbase though.
    Let us know how it works, I'm rather interested myself in it if it helps. I have seen some dual rate shock rockers out there, won't mention names, that allow you to tune the a arm and shock sensitivity. You'll know them when you see them, where the shock or link bolts on, there will be two holes instead of one. Check Ebay.

RC Champion
    Yeah...that's why I'm putting HPI Split 5 wheels with Proline Speed Hawgs on my BB Merv...wiiiide offset wheels and wiiiide tires.lol.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    Lol Yes sir.