RC poster

Upgrading XL-5 TQ Transmitter & Receiver to what??

Hi,

I'm re-entering the R/C world after having bashed with a Tamiya Grasshopper back in the 80's when I was 10 yrs old. I picked up an XL-5 last month, and have since upgraded it to the VXL system along with other small upgrades i.e. 2s Lipo, wheelie bar, aluminum caster blocks, & bearings.

Now I'm looking to upgrade the average at best TQ radio & transmitter with a 2.4GHZ system. My LHS owner told me he didn't really care for the Traxxas TQi system and said for a few more $ I could get a better system. He pointed me towards the Airtronics MX Sport. I've also come across the Spektrum DX3C & Futaba 3PRKA (the least expensive) and the Futaba 3PL.

My use thus far has been general neighborhood use, backyard bashing etc. I'm looking into heading out to a few local tracks soon as time allows. I have a few questions that perhaps some of you may know better about:

1) Will the Futaba receivers fit in the Traxxas' waterproof receiver box?
    2) Do any of you have any experience with the systems I've mentioned and would recommend one over the others?

Thanks in advance.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Roberts View Post
    I'm re-entering the R/C world after having bashed with a Tamiya Grasshopper back in the 80's when I was 10 yrs old.
    Same exact story as me...I miss the old 'Hopper, wish I had kept it!

Welcome to the forums.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Champion
    WELCOME BACK!!!! Welcome to the forums as well, You're gonna find a TON of information here! Dont hesitate to ask for anything!

Here are a few "shootout" reviews you may want to look at before purchasing a different radio from the LHS - I find those guys sponsor certain brands simply because it puts more money in their pocket. You have to make up your own mind.
    http://www.bigsquidrc.com/2-4-ghz-ra...tter-shootout/
    http://www.bigsquidrc.com/2-4-ghz-ra...er-shootout-2/

I have several traxxas TQi and Several Traxxas 2.4 link radios....I like them just fine. I really like that I can add a dock base to my TQi radio and make more adjustments with it, not to mention, PANDORA while i'm bashing!!!!!

Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress

RC poster
    Thank you for all your help and warm welcome back into the R/C world. Being in my mid-30s, I get some smirks and laughs from my friends when I tell them I'm back into R/C cars. Yet when they get their hands on it, they sure enjoy driving it. Nevertheless, I picked up the Futaba 3PRKA yesterday. Bigsquidrc.com rated it as the best of the bunch for tx/rx under $150.

So far I love it. It controls my Rustler much better than the 27mhz did. However, I'm having a problem with the brake. When I stop my car it kinda slows my car down and not stop it. Better said, it takes about 6-8 ft to bring my car to a stop. Any suggestions as to why and how to fix this?