RC Racer

Grinding noise when the brakes are applied?

So I was bashing around on my street and had made a few jumps with the snow left over from the recent storm and I started noticing a grinding or gear clattering sound when I hit the brakes. You can hear it over the sound of the motor idling and it does it in either forward or reverse. It doesn't make any noise (at least not that I can hear) under power - only when you hit the brakes and stop. As soon as the truck stops, no more noise.

if I roll it on the ground with the motor off, it's nice a quiet. if I roll it and then hit the brakes - clatter. I checked the clutch bell/spur gear mesh and it's fine.

This is a new Revo 3.3 with stock TRX motor. I installed FOC conversion and close ratio gear set, and 40 tooth spur with stock clutch bell housing. It also has the vented rotor and a brushless servo operating the brakes/throttle.

Did I damage the ring and pinions by jumping the truck over the jumps I made with snow? One jump is about 3 ft high and the other is about 10 inches high. Nice smooth landings for the most part.
    Revo LRP 30x
    EMBE 6s
    ERBE 6s
    Summit 4s

RC Racer
    well from what your saying check the throttle brake linkage and make sure that the brake disk is straight and not on an angle, also make sure your engine mount is bolted all the way down if i think of any other possibilities i will let you know

RC Racer
    Well, the car has had 3-4 hours to dry out from the snow bashing today. Now the drive train is silent in operation when the brakes are applied and the car is pushed forward. I can no longer duplicate the noise.

I am betting the brake pads were wet and were the cause of the chattering.
    Revo LRP 30x
    EMBE 6s
    ERBE 6s
    Summit 4s

RC Competitor
    I have a Kyosho Blizzard and it uses a diff and two brakes to make it turn. What i have found out after lots of playing in the snow when everything gets cold tolerances will change a lot and make things not work right I had to put the Blizzard out side for 30 min of so and let it cool down then put my pack in and run it. Do to the heat made by the brakes it melts the snow, if left out side it cools back down and freezes the brakes. So all I can say is pull your rx pack put the truck out side for 30 min bring it back in and as fast as u can just the brakes. You want to do this while everything it cold. I bet the pads are in the wrong spot for the cold. Let us know if that is it.

RC Racer
    how do you like the blizzard?

RC Competitor
    It was fun with the stock motor but after 2 seasons I want more power so I put a 15 turn motor in it and liked what it did. So me being me that was not enough so I put a Mamba 7700 kv set up in it and now when I punch it the tracks throw snow 3 to 3 1/2 feet in the air. It is way cool... I laugh every time I punch it. I will a upload video and see if I can post it. By the way Rock-Rod did that help with your brakes.

RC Racer
    yep - I readjusted the pad clearance and it's fine now. Brake chatter all the way.

however, i was just playing in the snow again and blew my reverse. Duh. I removed the optidrive earlier to try and simplify the wiring and whoops! forgot to stop the car before engaging reverse and RIPPPP - no more reverse. The trans is very crunchy now. This was the original trans that came with the truck. I have another with the close ratio gear set and reverse eliminator. I will repair the broken trans with the parts from the secondary one.
    maybe I should put the optidrive back in.
    Revo LRP 30x
    EMBE 6s
    ERBE 6s
    Summit 4s