RC poster

Charger Recomendations

I currently have an Onyx 245 dual charger. I run spc 2S (8200 MAH) 3S (4100 Mah) lipos. From LVD on my 2S it takes me between 80-90 minutes to recharge them. I would like to cut my charge time in half or better but do not want a charger that you need to be a rocket scientist to use (as I am fairly new to all this) and I would prefer to not need an external power source.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Welcome to the fourms! I like the Traxxas EZ Peak plus 6amp charger. I love mine, no complaints, and it charges 2 lipos at the same time. I'm sure there is better options, but this is just my .02 cents.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Champion
    Welcome! I run the Hitec X4 AC Plus and love it. It's a 4-port charger with 6A per, which is only nominally more than your Onyx' 5A. The extra 2 ports are really nice, however, and it's a great deal at $210-220 street.

I really don't know if there's an AC charger out there that would meet your criteria. Those 8200s are some beefy batteries! You may just need to go with an external PS, because you need 8.2 amps for a 1C charge rate (45-60 min, depending on starting voltage).
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    Welcome! I run the Hitec X4 AC Plus and love it. It's a 4-port charger with 6A per, which is only nominally more than your Onyx' 5A. The extra 2 ports are really nice, however, and it's a great deal at $210-220 street.

I really don't know if there's an AC charger out there that would meet your criteria. Those 8200s are some beefy batteries! You may just need to go with an external PS, because you need 8.2 amps for a 1C charge rate (45-60 min, depending on starting voltage).
    i have the easy peak plus. and no complaints either. i do have to ask cant you just charge the 8200mah lipo on 6amps. it may take longer. and there shouldnt be any danger. the danger would be using over 8.2amps to charge.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcar View Post
    i have the easy peak plus. and no complaints either. i do have to ask cant you just charge the 8200mah lipo on 6amps. it may take longer. and there shouldnt be any danger. the danger would be using over 8.2amps to charge.
    I can only charge at 5 amps max. 80-90 mins currently seems a bit long.

I normally recommend one of these two from the iCharger line for a "more power" charger:
    iCharger 106B
    iCharger 206B

I also recommend getting (and understanding) a parallel board if usually charging more than 1 battery of the same cell count. But both of these chargers will require an external power source.

With the 106B you can charge a 2S 8200mAh pack at 1.22C (I believe there is a 2C max) in about 35 minutes from 3.4v/cell to 4.2v/cell. You can charge the 3S 4100mAh at 1C in about 40 minutes.

If you run multiples, with the 206B and a paraboard you can charge two 2S 8200's at the same 1.22C in the exact same amount of time; about 35 minutes from 3.4v/cell to 4.2v/cell.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...allel-charging
    Jimmie provided this link to me a while back and helped alot to understand about charging basic's of lipos, choosing a charger, external power supply and all the rest needed for safe and long time charging.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC poster
    Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful.

Jimmie,

Does the parallel adapter I buy matter? went here and there a bunch of options. The need to charge in parallel is because all the Ichargers arent dual?

http://www.progressiverc.com/the-ticket-350w-combo.html

The iCharger I mentioned are not dual.... iCharger does have a dual port charger:

I suggest the TRX paraboard... easy to use with batteries that have the TRX connector, no adapters needed.

The combo you linked is a very decent one, but the power supply will limit your charges due to the fact that the charger requires 18+ volts to reach the rated 300 watts.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    The iCharger I mentioned are not dual.... iCharger does have a dual port charger:

I suggest the TRX paraboard... easy to use with batteries that have the TRX connector, no adapters needed.

The combo you linked is a very decent one, but the power supply will limit your charges due to the fact that the charger requires 18+ volts to reach the rated 300 watts.
    Do you have a recommendation for a power supply?

Yes... PM'd you about that a little while ago.

RC poster
    just saw it and replied

RC poster
    Wow, Thought I was almost asking this question as I have the same issue.
    I have the Onyx 245 (5 amp max) and I also want to be able to charge SPC 8200 MAH batteries 2 at a time.

I am looking at the 106B with 220 watt PS (this one says it will do up to 10 amps) or 206B with 350 watt PS used with the TRX para board. And those combo packages seem like a really good deal but if the power supply is not great then maybe not so good.

Jimmie: Please advise what power supply you recommended, this link has been very helpful but the final piece of information is missing. And I'm sure others would also like to know the answer.

Also is the 106b not strong enough at 10 amps to charge the 8200 MAH batteries in about 35 minutes?
    Should I be looking harder at the 206B which is rated at 20 amps?

I thought 10 amps would cover my 8200 MAH batteries.........?

Thank You!

To charge 2 8200 mah batts in parallel
    At 1c (about a hour) requires 16.8 amps
    16.8 amps x7.4v = 124.3 watts.
    The 206b would be the better choice
    In my opinion.if you have a computer recycler in your town that's were I would get a power supply.simple to mod and lots of power from a server supply.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Yes It Would!

RC poster
    Thanks guys, I will look at buying the 206B then with Para board and just need to decide on a correct power supply.

I get that a used computer power supply would work fine, but I still don't understand what Jimmie meant about the 350 watt Power Supply being offered in these combo's not being good enough. It seems easier to buy the Power supply at the same time as the charger and para board $59.99 to $69.99 does not seem way out of line if a 350 watt Power will indeed work.

It is fine for most applications... it just will not power the charger to its full capability.

look at epbuddy.com they have the 206b with a custom built psu meanwell that will work for the icharger 206b to its full potential.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    If you're not worried about money too much and want a great charger check out the hitec x2 400 total of 800watts, charge rate of 20amps on each port, can charge 4 batts. at once if you get a parallel balancing board at only 180$ on ebay, I ordered a power supply so I can use it ac/dc

RC Racer
    I also use the x2 400. charges everything I have without any trouble. Its a charger I can grow into as I buy higher quality packs that can be charged faster. When new chargers come out I don't really ever give them a second look. The x2 is def one of the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2