RC poster

Cool New Proud owner of an awesome Spartan BL!!!

HI Everyone Guys!!!

Glad to be in this forum as title says.
    I've received just today a slightly barely used Spartan from a my friend, that was received it as Xmas present (er...wrong present....he lives in mountain place near Austria: no lakes & no suitable rivers for RC Speedboats),he's put only it in swimming pool to take some photos.

He use mainly RC cars so exchanged it with a lot of nitro engines & equips for MTs that I cannot use further 'cause I'm living in a city that cannot permits the use of nitro models for both gas exhausts & loud noise.

Returning to Spartan: it's the new one with the last Castle equipment & 7cells Ni-Mh (that my friend has keep for himself) all still to setup & "break in" (not literally obvious).

Due to my happy living location for RC boat, I've a lot of places where run, natural lakes, abandoned mine lakes , river & also a little artificial lake in an urban park where there are a lot of RC modelers on Sat. & Sunday.

For this I wish to use this model mainly weekend amusement, so actually I prefer to keep the factory configuration with some mods to reduce the overall stress, so my plans about my model are:

1 - Change rx to my preferred spektrum, due I'm unfortunately ( & expensively!!!) stick TX addicted...

2 - Enhance the sealing of the cover hatch (yet put adhesive foam tape) .

3 - Put alloy splash guard on rear.

4a- Split the cooling line to separately cooling motor & Esc with "Y"
    4b- Install anoter cooling probe, or better a dual water pickup rudder blade* & obviously a second water cooling outlet

5 - Change the stock propeller with a Prather S215 to reduce power drain & motor/esc heat.

6 - Sharpen & polish stabilizers fins, & enhance its shape.

7 - Build a rescue boat.

*...I think to install a dual rudder with separate w. pickup...So, do you think that worth it to enhance cooling & (probably) also stability???

That's all!!!

Well... I give my best greetings to everyone & my best thanks for patience!!!

P.S.
    I hope that anyone has fallen asleep during the reading of my post...or has try to suicide...bored to death...
    Last edited by Wolfen00; 02-26-2013 at 07:11 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Nice Novel Wolfen (LOL! Just kidding) as far of my concern your on those main steps for upgrading your Spartan, the dual pick-up is for cooling individually the ESC & Motor, some people in the forum use longer pick-up rudder to eliminate the chine walking but IMHO I use the dual rudder only, not the whole bracket that you have to drill a new hole in your hull. Here is an image

The one in the left is a direct replacement.
    Talking on stability, you should rather add additional trim tab, if you run with the NIMH Batt. Or 2s LIPO No need to add additional trim tab.
    But if you run it with 3s LIPO that's the time you need an additional Tabs.

Upgrading to a Prather 215 is good but it should be balanced & sharpened this wont eliminate the heat problem when you run on 3s you still need to monitor the ESC & Motor.
    Welcome & Good Luck you have the amazing RC Boat in the world.

All the best EDGE
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Champion
    Welcome to the forum and to rc boating.

Almost all you will or need to know about your Spartan can be found here.

Have fun and just "enjoy your ride".
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC poster
    Thank you all for replies!!!

As told in my previous post, my target is to reach the maximum performances without changing motor & esc* , allowing some mods to run safer also with 6s: enhancing cooling, cutting a bit the insane speed & searching in the same time also a better driving stability.

All without changing too much the original feeling of the Spartan, a real insane "Muscle Boat"!!!
    LOVE IT

So I think to open a new thread about, mainly for noobs like me, to focus in one batch all the essentials mods, tips & tricks to drive this awesome boat, enjoyng fun & feeling less nervous to burn everything...

Bye all!!!

*In far future I think to change with a 4082 or longer BL with a 180/360A esc.

P.S.
    I've also a Revo 3.3 brushless modded, a Revo VXL & a Nitro 4tec 3.3...TRXS RULEZ!!!

RC Qualifier
    Lol! I have the 4082/180A combination which I mainly use, I'm running 2 electronic system the Original Castle Creations Elects. Is my spare just in case I flip the boat.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC poster
    ....Hmmmm... 2 Spartans!!!

....Just to don't remain without: main with backup!!!

Sry you seem a bit addicted by!!!

RC Qualifier
    Congrats on the new Spartan, and welcome to the forum.
    hog