Thread: My camera mount

RC Qualifier

My camera mount

I still waiting to get a go pro or something similar but here is my custom camera mount and yes its a picatinny rail (I'm a machinist we make gun parts for the military )

Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Champion
    That is totally sweet! Does it come in camo?
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Qualifier
    I wished thats just plain 7075 aluminum lol I got a rail thats been anodized black with the numbers on it but didnt want to cut it up lol

RC Champion
    That's pretty cool.
    A lot more high tech than mine...but same location.

--
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber211 View Post
    I still waiting to get a go pro or something similar but here is my custom camera mount and yes its a picatinny rail (I'm a machinist we make gun parts for the military )

That is an awesome camera mount

RC Qualifier
    ya Dc but you have a much higher tech camera then me lol Thanks

RC Champion
    Not really...mine isn't even a HD model. It's a first gen GoPro.
    I originally got it to use for making videos of our ATV rides.
    However...I picked up a Pentax WG-1 waterproof digital camera that take much better video than this GoPro.
    I'd love a GoPro HD Hero 3 but that would cut way too deep into my hobby funds.
    I actually think this will be the next one I buy...

http://www.liquidimageco.com/product...-727-the-ego-1
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    That doesn't look to bad still up there in the price though ....my nephew got a cheap emerson action cam for 40 bucks I going to try it out in the next couple weeks its got the water tight box and all, I watch some vids on youtube not crystal clear like hero 3 but decent and 240 bucks less and for 40 bucks if it busted I wouldn't have to cry lol

RC Champion
    Just checked out the Emerson.Nice camera for the price.
    Looks like a perfect camera for RC use.
    I bet it takes better video than my GoPro(since mine isn't HD).
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    I not sure it says 720 but not sure of the frames per second etc.... but its 40 bucks if its ok it works for rcs for me anyway and if I trash it its no biggie but having problem finding it at biglots thats where he got it I see them on ebay they keep going around 50-60 bucks so I holding out lol

RC Champion
    quote from a review that I found...

Inside The Box

The retail box offers some decent accessories. You won't need to buy a waterproof housing because this is already included. It can operate as a 5 mega pixel digital camera as well since you can switch between video capture and still mode. The video operates at 720 widescreen 30fps. They also include a bike and helmet mount so you can attach this to handlebars or a helmet. Note that this uses Micro SD memory cards.

Instead of using AAA batteries, this model uses an internal Li-on rechargeable battery that is charged via the supplied USB power cable. The small size of about 2x2.6 inches makes this a pretty small camera that is also lightweight (well under 1 pound). Interestingly enough, a 1.2" color screen lets you see what you're about to record - something most other cameras in this variety fail to include up front.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    yeah see I think it will do decent I will try to get ahold of my nephews this weekend and do a test video with it going slow through some things up and over then do a couple speed runs and see what it looks like, I like it since it has the lcd screen so you know what you are taping to get the angle right ....I will add you as a contact Dc and Pm you when I post it up if you like.
    I just cant get myself to spend the money for the high dollar ones to run on an rc that I know I am going to flip here and there at 30mph plus ya know

RC Champion
    Sounds like a plan.
    I know what you mean about flipping.lol.
    I'm waiting on a replacement housing from GoPro as we speak.
    I hit a stick in the yard and flipped it into the concrete surround of our fire pit...breaking the tabs off of the housing.

I'm wanting to get a GPS speed reading of my 1/10 Castle Sidewinder 5700kv powered Merv after I get everything dialed in on it.
    Someone suggested strapping my Garmin under the plastic.However,if I crash...I'm out a $125 GPS.
    I downloaded a GPS Speedometer app for my HTC Thunderbolt. if it gets wiped out...it's insured.lol.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    yep and I have check the apps on my droid while in the car they are pretty accurate usually within 1-2mph pretty impressive for a phone

RC Champion
    Yeah...checked it against the Garmin in the truck a couple days ago...they were right with each other the whole time.
    I use the Garmin daily because the speedo in my Duramax is off because of tire size.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Champion
    Back on cameras...I'm about to start working on a mount for my Ken Block Rally car.
    It's going to attach to the rear body mount bracket and set the camera right above roofline looking forward over the top of the car.
    I'm sure I'm going to have to add some weight to the front end and do some suspension adjustments to make it handle right,but it's going to be cool I'm sure.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like it should work as long as it doesn't add a lot of weight back there may need to go up in springs to the summit ones if they fit not sure but I know purple is the strongest my summit still squats but the front end stays down and might add a heavier shock oil or close up a hole in the plate thingy in the shock whatever its called...I seen on here the summit ones have smaller holes then the revo not sure about the rally ones

RC Champion
    We will see. I watched a video where a guy was drifting a KB.
    He added 45 grams of weight to the back...I asked him how much on the front but haven't got a response.
    I figure I can trial and error it enough to get it close to what it needs to be.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    Trial and error is probably you only way to know...stopping by spyder71 house today after work (nephew) picking up camera not sure if I will have time to make a test video or not but will tomorrow afterwork. Now as far as the mounting if it doesn't work there because of mud dirt water etc coming off front wheel hitting across the lense I also put a strip of industrial velcro across the top of the summit to mount the rail there be better weight centering then hanging on the side of it

RC Champion
    Yeah...but I'd be concerned about it being top heavy.
    I initially had mine on top,but never tried it there because of how much it likes to flip over backwards already.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    Well my summit doesn't do flips especially with the slash tires on it only rolls in the turns but thinking maybe wheel extentions when I run with camera I tried the set my nephew has on my summit and it wouldn't hardly flip at all but not sure they be good for everyday driving

RC Champion
    Which Slash tires you running? Off of a 1/10 Slash?(I'm assuming that's what they are because 1/16 Slash tires would look stupid on it.lol)

I'm keeping the stock Canyon AT tires on my Summit.
    It seems to like them better than Revo sized tires or anything else I've tried.
    With a 3s lipo mine will do standing backflips with the Summit tires on it...with or w/o a wheelie bar.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    See I just running stock bats, haven't made the leap to lipos and I have ran stock in series its just crazy on that. The tires are proline 2.2/3.0 trenchers, they come in maybe 1/8 to 1/4 taller then the canyons but for that added weight they are a little skinner so it balances out on to pretty much the same weight.

RC Champion
    2 stock in series is higher voltage than a single 3s lipo...and will be faster.
    I'm not too worried about speed with my Summit.
    That's what I have the 1/10 Castle Sidewinder 5700kv powered Merv for.lol.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    exactly my nephew went with the merv and working on it being more of a summit now ...I am satisfied with the power of the stock bats but I eventually want 2s lipo just for the run time factor but all in do time (hobby budget) ya know, last time I was in the rc I went nuts bought a pede and ended up spending 600 in upgrades in two months so trying to keep myself budgeted better this time....kinda upgrade as things break on it.... I got the camera tonight but to dark for video by the time I got home. so will be working on that afterwork tomorrow...he has one on there on his merv but it is real shaky (gravel area)

RC Champion
    I have a couple videos of mine on Youtube...not sure if you've seen them or not...I posted them in another thread here a while back.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    nope I haven't seen them where they located? I would like to check them out

RC Champion
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    Nice videos dc that camera seems to work well there. I have seen the first one that's where I decided to mount camera on the side.

RC Enthusiast
    Really nice camera mounts, but I am wondering if a keyfob #16 can do the same without mods. I guess I have to try it.
    XO-1, Summit VXL

RC Qualifier
    Thanks 12....now what about a keyfob you lost me?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 12o'clockhigh View Post
    Really nice camera mounts, but I am wondering if a keyfob #16 can do the same without mods. I guess I have to try it.
    I am talking about the keyfob or keychain video cameras. Number 16 and now number 18 are the top of the line @ about $40 and are used by most RC fans. I will provide some links later on since I am responding from my iPhone. Just Google in the meantime keyfob or keychain cameras.
    XO-1, Summit VXL

RC Champion
    This what you are talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Chain-Camera-V...pr_product_top

If it was waterproof...I'd buy about a dozen of them.lol.
    As it is...I may buy one or two just to try.
    I'm about to put a Baja Bug body on my big block Merv...and this would be awesome to mount looking through the windshield.
    The Merv won't see any mud or water so it would probably be fine.
    Heck...might even try cutting a small slot in the windshield of my KB rally car and mounting one in it also.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    That would be pretty cool if it worked decent enough, I tried making a video with the emerson tonight but its mounted a little low and the front wheel in the way some and its so wet outside it just kept throwing water over the lens so I tried to attach the mount to the top and this was a no go way to shaky there and wanted to flip over at low speeds when turning, way to top heavy. I am going to try and modify the mounting system and see about raising it an inch and figuring out how to tilt it down a little bit. Any ideas on getting the shaking out of it, or is the higher cameras like go pro have a anti shake function to them?
    Last edited by Timber211; 02-28-2013 at 06:37 PM.

RC Champion
    I don't think mine has an anti shake feature...but my mount is really rigid.
    I can pick the car up by the mount no problem...and nothing flexes.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfox View Post
    This what you are talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Chain-Camera-V...pr_product_top

If it was waterproof...I'd buy about a dozen of them.lol.
    As it is...I may buy one or two just to try.
    I'm about to put a Baja Bug body on my big block Merv...and this would be awesome to mount looking through the windshield.
    The Merv won't see any mud or water so it would probably be fine.
    Heck...might even try cutting a small slot in the windshield of my KB rally car and mounting one in it also.
    The best site with all info about 808s

http://www.chucklohr.com/808/index.shtml

Yes, there are water proof covers for the 808s and made in the good ol USA

http://ped-products.com/index.php?di...product_id=146
    XO-1, Summit VXL

RC Qualifier
    lol figured out the shake thing it was because I left the battery door off duh, so I will try to get another video made this weekend sometime and see if it comes out better, be glad when it starts getting dark at 9pm again. I will be doing some searches on the keyfob cameras thats for sure nice small light weight lot easier to put places for sure and cheap..thanks for the info 12

RC Champion
    Well...I got an email from GoPro tonight that bummed me out.
    it seems that the waterproof housing for my GoPro is no longer in production,and the warehouse doesn't have any,so I can't get a replacement from them.(I broke the mounting tabs off when the Summit took a tumble into a curb).
    I think I may try to fab up some sort of mount to put it inside the Baja Bug body on my BB Merv.
    I'll have to wait until I get the body back from the painter and see how much room there is.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    I'm going to make another runafter work with the Emerson but the 808 key fob looks interesting might be ordering it cuts out a lot of weight which keeps it from rolling so easy...but we will test out the Emerson first tonight

RC Qualifier
    ok tried another video, the mount is as rock solid as I can get but the picture is just shaky, like going thru the yard you cant make out anything just a bouncy blur, so i think its a no go for the emerson for me, the picture is nice its a good little camera for the money but not quite what I am looking for, guess next is a keyfob one, then perhaps an older gopro camera.