RC Competitor

Brand new battery issue and charger question

Has anyone had any issues with the stock battery? I charged the stock battery with the supplied charger for the first time, after a while I noticed a sizzling noise coming form the battery.

I promptly contacted Traxxas and the offered to replace the battery, no questions asked. Where else could you get service like that!

Thank you, Traxxas.

I don't trust the stock charger even though it charged the first pack successfully. I was thinking about purchasing 2 of the Traxxas's 2amp chargesr to charge 2 sets of NiHi batteries. I already own the traxxas lipo charger and a few packs. I don't use my summit everyday so I didn't want to buy anything expensive.

RC Competitor
    I was looking at this

Anything more than this would be an overkill for me. I just wished it charged 2 packs at a time.

RC Qualifier
    Not sure what the noise was for just remember if its a 1200mah battery max charge is 1.2 amps if its 3000mah max charge is 3 amps etc...and yep traxxas has the best customer service
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Qualifier
    buy and icharger and be done with it. it will charge anything, best 70-80 bucks you will spend.
    at any rate. I've charged the stock battery at 2.4 amps without a problem. But having a decent charger helps.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    buy and icharger and be done with it. it will charge anything, best 70-80 bucks you will spend.
    at any rate. I've charged the stock battery at 2.4 amps without a problem. But having a decent charger helps.
    For $80 it doesn't charge more than one battery at a time(I run two packs together) and its a bit of a overkill for batteries that are reccommended to be only charged at 1.2amp. I think I'm just going pick up 2 of the Traxxas ez peak chargers. Plus I already have a Duratrax ICE from back in the day when I was into 1/10th scale. I just want to make things simple as possible since I don't play with them everyday.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The sizzling noise coming from the pack was that of a cell venting. When a Nimh cell overheats, pressure builds up and if it continues the cell will vent through special pressure relief holes on the top of the cell.

The question is why did the cell overheat? Could just have been a bad cell in the new pack or maybe the pack over-charged.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mercenario27 View Post
    For $80 it doesn't charge more than one battery at a time(I run two packs together) and its a bit of a overkill for batteries that are reccommended to be only charged at 1.2amp. I think I'm just going pick up 2 of the Traxxas ez peak chargers. Plus I already have a Duratrax ICE from back in the day when I was into 1/10th scale. I just want to make things simple as possible since I don't play with them everyday.
    hmm, I know you can charge two lipos at a time with parralel charge board, not sure how that works with nimh. But regardless of the amount of amps, a good charger is important to not destroy your batteries.

RC Competitor
    I just picked up a Traxxas Ez Peak 2 amp charger and I just love how easy it is to charge a battery. No more menus! Just packed up the old chargers and the power supply in their boxes and placed them in the back of the cabinet. I can't wait until H#bbyt#wn gets another in stock. The cost of the Traxxas Lipo Charger and 2 EZ Peak Chargers is way cheaper than the cost of one decent charger and power supply.

Everything about 1/16 scale is cheaper!
    Last edited by mercenario27; 03-01-2013 at 04:33 AM. Reason: bad grammar

RC Qualifier
    If you have an ice charger why not just use it, those chargers are great and still being used to this day by a lot of people. JMO. Good luck and have some fun. God bless.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by snookerd1206 View Post
    If you have an ice charger why not just use it, those chargers are great and still being used to this day by a lot of people. JMO. Good luck and have some fun. God bless.
    I always hated the menu system on that charger. I bought the traxxas Lipo charger because the Ice didn't have a built in balancer. I loved how easy the lipo charger was to use, I immediately wanted the traxxas ez peak charger for the nihi packs.

RC Qualifier
    yeah and the ez peak chargers are cheap enough on ebay no since in killing your battery life charging them faster then recommended, plus sounds like you are like me I like simple and I dont play with it all the time so I just get a few packs charge them cause lets face it if you are running it like you should either after an hour + of run time your system is hot needs to cool or you broke something or well you have done everything you wanted and are just repeating it lol
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO