Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 52
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    592

    Savox 1230SG for Summit Steering Review

    Just wanted to give a quick review on the Savox 1230SG servo I used to replace my stock dual steering setup that burnt out on me.

    The Savox 1230SG, 500 oz-in of torque at 6V, so far is performing AMAZINGLY!! Spent about 2.5 hours yesterday rock crawling and bashing on it for the first time and the difference between it and the stock Traxxas 2075 servos is VERY noticeable. Now I did also install a CC BEC at the same time because I wanted to make sure I got the 6V of power to the servo so I could take full advantage of the 500 oz-in of torque so the servo is definately not lacking for power.

    PROS:

    Turning on pavement is sharp and crisp. Turning radius has definitely decreased. Turning on dirt is just as good as I can really whip the rear end of the truck around now when doing a 180 degree turn. Reminds me a little now of my Slash 4x4...but not quite to that level of control of course. Rock crawling is where I really saw the difference as I was able to really crank the wheels over obstacles and angles I just wasn't able to before. Before I would have to reverse to get the 2075 servos a chance to release and reload to yank the wheels over. The Savox just doesn't have that issue. On tight angles where the wheels are pinned between rocks the wheels will start to trun the direction I want. Not fully as I still have all the stock steering linkage installed to the Savox and the stock linkage is a little soft (I haven't done the washer mod either yet), but I don't have to back up to get them to start to yank over and that is a really nice difference. Power is not lacking. Also the steel gears hopefully will hold up well, only time will tell.Servo stayed cool even with all the abuse it took yesterday, and that is even with a thick coat of Pastidip on it for waterproofing. Installation was also a breeze as its a 25 spline so it just drops in and mounts up to the stock Summit servo horn.

    CONS:

    There are a few cons that I have identified. Of course its not waterproof so I had to do that myself. Not a big deal if you don't mind doing that sort of thing. I just sprayed it with 3 coats of Plastidip and that should do the trick on keeping water out. I noticed the servo does also make a fair bit of noise. It is digital so it makes a fair bit of a "crackling" sound, which will change over to a hummm for a bit when it centers, then goes quiet for a while depending on pressure on the front wheels. Then will start over again. Occilates between cracking to silent to humming. Not a big deal to me as I am used to my other digital servos doing this from time to time, but if you are looking for a silent servo this is not it.

    So over all I am VERY HAPPY with the purchase. I went to the hobby store to get a Hitec Titanium servo but just couldn't justify the Hitec price on my limited budget. The Savox was $74 at my LHS and the Hitec servos they had that were faily comprable on specs were $120 and $190 respectively. So I decided to give Savox a try and I have been very happy. Im not bashing on Hitec in anyway I have owned their servos before on other cars I have had and they have been perfect, but when on a budget and my stock steering went out on me, I am glad so far I gave Savox a try.

    My next move will be to shop around for the best aluminum steering arms and or maybe just do the washer mod to the servo saver to tighten up the rest of the steering system. Other wise I am very happy with the Savox single servo steering setup on my Summit.

    I will try and update my experiences with this servo as I go long term with it. Trust me with the amount of time I spend driving the Summit it will be tested over and over again.

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    522
    Thanks for the update. I got all my stuff in the mail last week but have not had time to install it. I went ahead a bought a CC BEC too hsould be here later this week.

    Do you mind explaining how you hooked it up to the stock system? And if it matters I'm running (2) SPC 2S 8200's.
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. MITCH316's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,259
    I'm loving my Savox SA 1230-SG. My Hitec servo is just as noisy as my Savox at times...I'm running mine with out an external BEC...so far its performing well, I just leave my steering expo turned all the way down.
    Rock n Rolla !

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep800 View Post
    Thanks for the update. I got all my stuff in the mail last week but have not had time to install it. I went ahead a bought a CC BEC too hsould be here later this week.

    Do you mind explaining how you hooked it up to the stock system? And if it matters I'm running (2) SPC 2S 8200's.

    Yeah no problem. I had a lot of help on my other thread that helped me hook everything up correctly. here is the link to that thread, should have all the answers your looking for:

    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...C-install-Help

    Was very easy once I got it straight in my head with the help of people here. What kind of batteries you have shouldn't make a difference to the install either way.

    Good luck with the setup, once you get it all hooked up you will LOVE it!

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York State: Snowbelt
    Posts
    747
    Should I upgrade it to this? I have one in my crawler and was thinking I could steal it off that and put the waterproof one one from the summit on the crawler. Thoughts?
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasSummitCrawler View Post
    Should I upgrade it to this? I have one in my crawler and was thinking I could steal it off that and put the waterproof one one from the summit on the crawler. Thoughts?
    First thing I would ask is what scale is your crawler? If you can get away with without having the monster torque of the 1230SG in your crawler, and the 125 oz-in of torque in the stock Traxxas 2075 servo will be adaquate for your crawler, I say do it. The Summit definitely needs more torque in the steerring department then what the stock servos provide.

    Then again you can just do what I did and that is ride the stock servos till they gave out. For me that took about 16 sets of battery packs of hard running before they gave up the ghost.

    All I know is you won't be sorry putting the 1230SG in your Summit. Good Luck

  7. #7
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    47
    I fitted the savox 1256 to my summit today and it's spot on, a little bit noisy but I can live with it

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by kinger View Post
    I fitted the savox 1256 to my summit today and it's spot on, a little bit noisy but I can live with it

    Awesome. Glad to hear.

    Yeah the install couldn't be easier. Literally just mounts up via existing holes, the traxxas stock servo horn slips right on no issues. I even reused the screw from the 2075 on the new Savox servo and all is good. Just put a little loctite in there to keep her snug and away you go.

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York State: Snowbelt
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by Sactown_Summit View Post
    First thing I would ask is what scale is your crawler? If you can get away with without having the monster torque of the 1230SG in your crawler, and the 125 oz-in of torque in the stock Traxxas 2075 servo will be adaquate for your crawler, I say do it. The Summit definitely needs more torque in the steerring department then what the stock servos provide.

    Then again you can just do what I did and that is ride the stock servos till they gave out. For me that took about 16 sets of battery packs of hard running before they gave up the ghost.

    All I know is you won't be sorry putting the 1230SG in your Summit. Good Luck
    Just the regular 1/10th scale crawler. I'll agree the stock servos are not very good. I'll try the swap this weekend and see what I think. I have a can of plastidip laying around as well, so I guess I'll dip it and put a bead of di-electric grease around the steering horn goes, but under the cover!
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

  10. #10
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sactown_Summit View Post
    Awesome. Glad to hear.

    Yeah the install couldn't be easier. Literally just mounts up via existing holes, the traxxas stock servo horn slips right on no issues. I even reused the screw from the 2075 on the new Savox servo and all is good. Just put a little loctite in there to keep her snug and away you go.
    I just watched a video on installing a Savox to replace my 2 failed Traxxas 2075s and it showed having to purchase a new servo aem and modifying the Traxxas stock parts. Did you have to do this as well or did the new Savox servo just bolt on and work?

    Thnaks

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by bpayne13 View Post
    I just watched a video on installing a Savox to replace my 2 failed Traxxas 2075s and it showed having to purchase a new servo aem and modifying the Traxxas stock parts. Did you have to do this as well or did the new Savox servo just bolt on and work?

    Thnaks

    Nope. Not sure why they upgraded all those other items. Maybe they just wanted to hop those up at the same time as doing the servo? All I know is that my Savox servo literally just dropped right in. No mods what so ever.

  12. #12
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    61
    I know a few people who run savox's in different models and they all say they are noisy.

  13. #13
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    83
    Yes definitely noisy. I have dual SA-1230SG's in my Summit run off a Castle 10amp Ubec. I also have a hot racing aluminum steering servo-saver with stock horns (as a weak link) to strip if ever there is too much torque. Problem is I am running 12mm offset hubs with Axial 8 spoke 40 series beadlocks wrapped with RC4WD Mudslingers to get an almost perfect square foot print on the ground which puts more strain on steering especially when crawling. The servo saver spring is just too weak and collapses when it really counts. I can't turn because of this. Sooo, I bought a heavier duty spring. Still not enough. Now I have the heavy duty spring shimmed up 3/16" with 2 small lock washers. It still allows the servo saver to completely move without coilbind. I was happy for a month but it is getting weak again due to all the extra pressure wearing the edges of the servo-saver pivot points so that it is more easily moved from its home position. I only crawl with my Summit so I don't believe I really need it if I am careful with steering. I am wondering if I could weld the servo-saver solid.? I have a Tig and can weld it easy enough but I am hoping for some input before I weld this $40 piece solid. Are there other options? I have noticed that Axial rc's don't use a saver on steering. But I'm not sure if the design and geometry of the Summit steering is a good idea to run solid. I don't bash it at all, only crawl and adventure style trail rides. Any positive advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    522
    I just wish they made the wire (lead) a little longer. I really was hoping to have installed it on the passenger (left) side but with the short wire was barely able to get it on the driver side……at least the way I wanted to route it.

    Anyone else experience this too?
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep800 View Post
    I just wish they made the wire (lead) a little longer. I really was hoping to have installed it on the passenger (left) side but with the short wire was barely able to get it on the driver side……at least the way I wanted to route it.

    Anyone else experience this too?

    Yeah the Savox servo wire is pretty short. I had to install it on the passenger side as well and even at that I had to stretch it pretty good over the top of the front battery vent just to be able to reach all the way and get inside the sealed received box. You could mount it on the drivers side if you bought a cheap servo wire extension?

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    522
    I found one at my LHS......picking it up this afternoon.
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canmore, AB
    Posts
    328
    Did you guys find that the 1230SG doesn't quite fit the stock mounting holes? Very close, but not quite....a bit small? That's my experience.
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    522
    Yes. I had to slot the holes to make it fit.
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    778
    Lovin my 1230-sg, works great even though she talks back to be quite a bit lol
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canmore, AB
    Posts
    328
    Got mine in yesterday, wire just barely makes it. Had do widen the mounting holes as well, no biggie. I kinda like her voice but we're only getting to know each other and we haven't made it past the workbench. We got a surplus of rocks in town this weekend, should be a good test ground.
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

  21. #21
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    15,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Switchblade View Post
    Got mine in yesterday, wire just barely makes it. Had do widen the mounting holes as well, no biggie. I kinda like her voice but we're only getting to know each other and we haven't made it past the workbench. We got a surplus of rocks in town this weekend, should be a good test ground.
    Traxxas servo mounting holes are a bit farther apart than those on many standard servos. It isn't just the Savox servos.
    Talkative, is she?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  22. #22
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    522
    Are you upgrading the steering assembly too? The difference is night and day. You wont regret doing it.
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canmore, AB
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep800 View Post
    Are you upgrading the steering assembly too? The difference is night and day. You wont regret doing it.
    Got the HR assembly. Haven't put the washer in but I think with the new servo I'll end up putting it back in. Did you guys put a washer in as well? What thickness? If I may ask.
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

  24. #24
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    70
    anyone use the steering assembly from STRC?

  25. #25
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PARKER COLO
    Posts
    792
    I installed the Savox 1230sg in my two modified Summits and the difference with the Mudslinger tires is night and day. The biggest difference is when I crawl in the granite rocks. The summit can now pick lines through the rock that I can only dream about with the stock units. I used the Integy steering assembly and it went in very easy and has worked great. I didn't know it wasn't waterproof so Ill have to remove them and water proof them. It looks like most everyone is using Plastic dip. So I will follow suit.

  26. #26
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canmore, AB
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    I installed the Savox 1230sg in my two modified Summits and the difference with the Mudslinger tires is night and day. The biggest difference is when I crawl in the granite rocks. The summit can now pick lines through the rock that I can only dream about with the stock units. I used the Integy steering assembly and it went in very easy and has worked great. I didn't know it wasn't waterproof so Ill have to remove them and water proof them. It looks like most everyone is using Plastic dip. So I will follow suit.
    Did you do the washer mod Brick?
    I was using a 1/16" washer with the stock setup. Thinking about sticking it in the HR Alum assembly.
    Last edited by Captain Switchblade; 06-26-2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: cuz I still can
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

  27. #27
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PARKER COLO
    Posts
    792
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Switchblade View Post
    Did you do the washer mod Brick?
    I was using a 1/16" washer with the stock setup. Thinking about sticking it in the HR Alum assembly.
    I did not. I'm not sure I understand what or where the washer would go. I installed the alum servo saver from Integy. I used the spring from the stock and two new bearings but no washers. on the servo I removed the old and installed the new using the stock Traxxas linkage. Sorry I don't know if this helps

  28. #28
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Williamsburg, KY
    Posts
    229
    my only complaint with the savox 1230 i'm running is it snapped my stock servo saver like nothing. i have since upgraded to the HR aluminum and it's running like a champ.
    crawl-bash-swim. The Summit does it all.

  29. #29
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    592
    Just wanted to give a long term update on my Savox servo review:

    My Savox performed well for an extended period of time (about 4 months) and then all of a sudden the motor in the servo burned out. Did all the trouble shooting I could. Took the servo body off. Inspected all the gears. No problem. Only other conclusion has to be the motor or something is wrong with the circuit board.

    No in its defense I do ALOT of rock crawling. And hard rock crawling as well. I place a ton if stress on my steering system. I have Mudslingers, and a full aluminum steering system all the way down to the servo saver and servo horn. Was still a little surprised to see my servo motor give out. Maybe unrealistically I expected it to last longer.

    Has anyone else with the Savox 1230sg have this happen to them?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

  30. #30
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canmore, AB
    Posts
    328
    No problems yet with mine, but I've only been abusing it for about 3 months. I did keep the stock servo horn as a 'fuse' in my steering, they are super cheap, light to carry on the trail and a breeze to change.
    Did you plastidip the entire servo or left the aluminum bare? If you did cover it, it could have made the motor overheat.
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

  31. #31
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Switchblade View Post
    No problems yet with mine, but I've only been abusing it for about 3 months. I did keep the stock servo horn as a 'fuse' in my steering, they are super cheap, light to carry on the trail and a breeze to change.
    Did you plastidip the entire servo or left the aluminum bare? If you did cover it, it could have made the motor overheat.
    Ahhh you know that's a good point. I didn't think about that. I did plasti-dip it and yes I cover the entire servo. That just may have done it, especially over an extended period of time aka 4 months of hard crawling.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

  32. #32
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    woodstock .on.canada
    Posts
    2,207
    hmmm warenty?

    hitec has a 2yr warrenty only thing they dont cover is gears and the case..........
    still going to get the hitec servo just about half way there
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

  33. #33
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    hmmm warenty?

    hitec has a 2yr warrenty only thing they dont cover is gears and the case..........
    still going to get the hitec servo just about half way there
    Not sure what the Savox warranty is. But what ever it is I'm sure I violated it by covering the case in plasti-dip and opening the case and adding extra Greese around the output shaft.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

  34. #34
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    778
    Im actually in the middle of inspecting and waterproofing mine at the moment. Its been 6 months and it still works flawlessly.

    I bought liquid electrical tape to do my Tekin system, so I thought Id do the servo too.

    Ripped it apart this morning and everything looks great, laid a 1st coat and waiting for it to dry. Will also be silicone the seams when assembling.

    I went threw too many stock servo horns (every 2nd run) then bought aluminum
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

  35. #35
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    hmmm warenty?

    hitec has a 2yr warrenty only thing they dont cover is gears and the case..........
    still going to get the hitec servo just about half way there
    If your half way there... you have enought for the savox. Id get the savox...
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

  36. #36
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    woodstock .on.canada
    Posts
    2,207
    no!

    plus the lhs dosent stock savox for lack of demand
    and quality of product
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

  37. #37
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    no!

    plus the lhs dosent stock savox for lack of demand
    and quality of product
    Well thats just plain silly.

    If you have viewed as many of the satisfied customers posts (such as myself) on this and other forums... You`d know its a GREAT servo.

    Savox has made a pretty good name for itself from what Ive read and observed for myself.

    Ive used both Savox and Hitec.

    Have you ANY experience with Savox?
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

  38. #38
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    woodstock .on.canada
    Posts
    2,207
    i dont have eny experience with eny brand other then traxxas

    to rilly say im on the fence.......the lhs(or supplyer?) dosent stock savox servo's do to lack of demand
    and for my himie self it would be better to go with savox to save money......but then there is the quality factor.....
    i havent herd to much about savox but i have herd much about hitec....and they have a 2yr warrenty....

    hard to decide himie sais savox well quality sais hitec
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

  39. #39
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canmore, AB
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Sactown_Summit View Post
    Ahhh you know that's a good point. I didn't think about that. I did plasti-dip it and yes I cover the entire servo. That just may have done it, especially over an extended period of time aka 4 months of hard crawling.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    That would certainly do it.
    I taped up the aluminum case in mine and then scored the plastidip when dry so I could peel off the tape without ripping the plastidip. I worked.
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

  40. #40
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    i dont have eny experience with eny brand other then traxxas

    to rilly say im on the fence.......the lhs(or supplyer?) dosent stock savox servo's do to lack of demand
    and for my himie self it would be better to go with savox to save money......but then there is the quality factor.....
    i havent herd to much about savox but i have herd much about hitec....and they have a 2yr warrenty....

    hard to decide himie sais savox well quality sais hitec

    I recommend them. Especially after just being in mine.

    When I got mine I ran it in salty snow,slush and rain. I even sank my Summit in a lake by accident once. It still worked fine and didnt even let any water in.

    When I looked in it to water proof today, I noticed the deep interlocking groves in the case where the seals are. And rubber grommet where the wire are. Everything was sealed up perfectly. All the gears were mint and still greased!

    Now... This is NOT sold as a waterproof servo... But was fine even submerged.

    Now that it has been NA`s sealed and is even more waterproof than before.

    Worth the $70 for 500oz of torque to me
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •