Thread: Is this normal?

RC poster

Is this normal?

Hi All

I am new to RC and just bought my Traxxas summit after getting inspired by you guys. I just have this question. When all 4 wheels are stuck should the motor run freely like this? This is a brand new truck with a defective transmission servo. Traxxas is sending a replacement. Is there anything else i need to check? Here is a link to the video I posted on youtube. I just want to make sure everything is fine with the truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2Zcopg6jt4

Woody

RC Racer
    Adjust your slipper. It is real loose

RC Champion
    Don't get it to tight or u will start breaking parts Adjust according to the manual

RC Qualifier
    yeah maybe your slipper clutch is just way too loose, I don't know that's weird
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

Sounds like its your slipper...mine does something similar when I try crawl in high gear but when in low gear it doesn't...not sure why it does that.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC poster
    Thank you guys....I adjusted the slipper clutch and I feel it can move mountains now :-)

RC Qualifier
    My slipper clutch was not even close out of the box, or the pinion/spur mesh, or the steering servos. I think mine was built on Friday at quitting time! It doesn't bother me, I'm use to it, but I do feel for people who are new that may not know to go over every little thing. I don't really think the Summit is a good first RC either, it's a pretty comprehensive rig. But hey if you can pull it off..

RC Qualifier
    If someone is buying a summit though, they are going to have to have some experience with RC because it is not a truck for beginners. That is MO though, even though I bought it as a 1 year experience in RC.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mepster View Post
    My slipper clutch was not even close out of the box, or the pinion/spur mesh, or the steering servos. I think mine was built on Friday at quitting time! It doesn't bother me, I'm use to it, but I do feel for people who are new that may not know to go over every little thing. I don't really think the Summit is a good first RC either, it's a pretty comprehensive rig. But hey if you can pull it off..
    "Friday at quitting time"

But yeah just do a little reading on the forums here woodraider and you'll know what your summit wants and needs in no time

Nice to know,I get mine March26.
    stranger.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Congrats! Go over it good Billy!

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Nice to know,I get mine March26.
    stranger.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-build-edition
    It may be of some use to you when you get your Summit.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    I keep mine a little to the loose side so if it gets really bound up it will let go. Depending on what u read you should hear it slip for about 2 feet under full throttle from a dead stop. Not sure where I read that

RC Champion
    For what it's worth, when I turned on my Summit... everything worked perfectly! I drove it around the house and the driveway (trying to figure out how to switch gears.. oops) and brought it back to charge the batteries. Steering servos, tranny servo, diff servos, gear mesh, slipper clutch, everything.. was just right! I've actually not been able to get the gear mesh as quiet ever since! I think I got the truck last March or so, and since then the only thing I've broken was the front diff servo because I tried tightening it too much, it was purely my fault.

It appears there is certainly a batch of Summits out there made by a really dumb blind guy, but lucky for those guys this forum is here to help and Traxxas' warrenty takes care of'm.

Just be sure that you didn't tighten the slipper TOO much, it is called a slipper after all - it needs to slip when there is too much force, because that motor is more than powerful enough to shred the gears apart and twist those drive shafts.

You know me bud,I'll probable take it all apart before I run it.
    Been busy as heck getting ready for racing season.
    Thank you also MITCH316,every little bit helps.
    Sure I will be spending a lot more time on this forum soon.
    Till then.
    Congrats! Go over it good Billy!
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Hahahah gotta love that blind guy

I haven't touched my slipper I don't think, and yep no problems here either except a little fighting with the steering servos

Just for note in case there is a misunderstanding.when tightening the slipper.... it is tighten just until the coils in the spring close up.Then adjust from there.The slipper can be over tightened
    And bend the pad holders.It can cause
    Other slipper issues.Burning out bearings in the spur.mesh issues etc

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    sucks that a servo gave up so soon but happy that you're covered.
    I had a similar experience with my H/L servo too.

the slipper clutch on mine was set up well at assembly and gave me a chance to get used to it first before messing around with the setup. the others are right - dont tighten it too much.