RC Racer

Another one going lipo

I have to decided to go lipo in the next few months. Are these the batteries I'm going to want? http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=107
    Also what is a good charger for around 60$
    Is the thunder ac6 any good?
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Champion
    SPC markets very good batteries from what I've heard. Tons of threads on here about them and I haven't heard anything negative...

As far as a charger in the $60 range...get yourself a used Traxxas E-Z Peak Plus on eBay, or buy one brand new for $80. It's an excellent little charger for the money. Haven't read a bad thing about it.

http://traxxas.com/products/parts/ch...hargerplus6amp
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ac6 will work if you monitor the charging and stop them before they overcharge

RC Racer
    Doesn't hi- tec make an the same easy peak charger for 60$?
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Racer
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradens Traxxas View Post
    Doesn't hi- tec make an the same easy peak charger for 60$?
    Had some discussion with one of the mods the other day about this. It's probably NOT made by Hitec and it's not the same exact charger, either (It does look identical). Probably not a bad charger for the money.

The main difference between the two is that the Hitec X1 AC+ charges at 50 watts, while the Traxxas version is rated for 80W...that's why the Traxxas runs $20 more (and is a better value, IMO)
    Last edited by zippogeek; 02-26-2013 at 11:41 AM.

RC Racer
    Anyone like the ac6? Does it overcharge a lot?
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    They don't call.it a battery cooker for no reason!

RC Racer
    Is it just by chance it will or do they all?
    MERV, Broken Alias.

most dont bother to check where their lipos are actually at when the charger says its done the charger wont tell you or show you its overcharged your lipos it will say 4.20v per cell when its done but if you use a voltage meter it may say its higher at like 4.23 which is not good. i know mine did.
    better off with the traxxas ez peak plus spend the extra cash for it too worth it if you plan to start using lipo, its not worth it to keep spending money on lipos when they get damaged or worse catch fire without the proper care which they will swell first to let you know though.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    imax b6 works great for me, but I have a high output power supply. I really recommend getting a separate power supply, but unless you build one from an old PC power supply it will put you over the $60 mark for PS + charger.

RC Racer
    Personally I have the EZ Peak Plus charger. I got mine for 100 but I have found other places (online) that has it for cheaper tho

RC Racer
    Ya I think I will go with the plus or the almost identical hi-tec one. One of the only differences is the traxxas one has 80 watts and the hitec has 50. The problem is I am not that smart with electricity and dont know what watts are? Im guessing power? But I dont know why you would want more because isnt amps also power? Can someone help clarify what watts are and how having more watts is better and what it will do? Thanks a lot!
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Racer
    Anyone?
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Racer
    I also have another question. About how long am I able to leave the lipos after using them before I put them on the charger?
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    Quite a while but you need to put them at storage voltage.
    Drive. Crash. Fix. Repeat.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    On your batteries if you ran them til lvc(low voltage cutoff) then you should charge then right away. Batteries loose charge sitting so if they drop below 3v per cell they may be damaged and never charge up. The correct storage voltage for your batteries is around 3v-3.8 volts so a 2 cell would be around 7.7v.
    So after a ride if you brought it in before it hits lvc check the voltage with a voltmeter if you have one or do a storage charge as soon as you can
    This will better explain your first question http://m.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-di...t-and-watt.htm

RC Racer
    So if you have more Watts it will charge the battery faster?
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Champion
    So if you have more Watts it will charge the battery faster?
    As voltage increases during the charge, higher wattage capacity comes in handy. The better the wattage, the greater the ability of the charger to deliver all of its amps. That means faster charge times. Some chargers advertise high amperage, but not necessarily the best wattage.

A good analogy here is the horsepower-torque relationship in a car engine. Horsepower (amperage) is the amount of raw power that can potentially be delivered, but the limiting factor is torque to the wheels (wattage).

RC Racer
    Ok. Now I get it! Thanks For the help everyone!
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Qualifier
    Power is measured in watts. Power = Voltage x Current. You have to charge the battery at a set voltage, so the variable in the equation is the amperage. This is taken into consideration when the charger is rated. You wont find a charger thats rated at 3s 5 amps that only puts out 50 watts of power. 12.6 x 5 = 63. But that's why I recommended an external power supply, because you wont have to worry about charging on the edge of the chargers limits. This causes heat and decreases the life of the charger, especially if you dont clean it like a PC. Also because a quality PS will put out a perfectly smooth and steady voltage.

RC Racer
    Thanks for all the help with the electricity stuff. Also just to throw it out there is the Thunder AC680 also known to overcharge batteries? not the thunder ac6.
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Competitor
    not to hijack this thread, but is the duratrax onyx 245 any good.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jamlx1 View Post
    It has always been well-recommended on these forums.

RC Racer
    I think I will go with the thunder ac680. Anybody have any experience with these? I have been reading tons of great reviews on it.
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Qualifier
    I have an IMAX b6ac and haven't had any problems with it at all. Had it almost a year now and charge all the time.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jamlx1 View Post
    I don't recommend it as it is lacking a very important feature: the ability to discharge.

I think I will go with the thunder ac680. Anybody have any experience with these? I have been reading tons of great reviews on it.
    I bought one for a friend with tight budget... it is an ok charger, but it has some draw backs.... like only being able to charge at either 1 or 2 amps for storage charging. I personally would consider it as a "tide-over" until enough money is saved up ($200ish) for a really good charge system.
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 03-04-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    I asked this on another forum...but I'm still in "newbie mode" and my posts aren't showing up until approved.lol...

My Merv has a 1/10 Castle Creations 5700kv Sidewinder S2 setup in it...
    What would be the absolute optimal 3s Lipo battery to run in it that will fit in the factory compartment?
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    1800mAh is the largest 3S I have seen. 50togo likes Boost batteries for performance.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My boost and thunder power 1300 65/130 are my two strongest batteries. Less voltage drop equals more speed!
    Always run in.parallel too

RC Racer
    i bought one a couple weeks back they are idiot proof. i also bought a 2s-6s x6 balance board i can chrage my 4 2200 mah 2s in about an hour without them even getting warm. plus 1 on this charger plus easy to use

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post

I bought one for a friend with tight budget... it is an ok charger, but it has some draw backs.... like only being able to charge at either 1 or 2 amps for storage charging. I personally would consider it as a "tide-over" until enough money is saved up ($200ish) for a really good charge system.
    hey jimmie i think they updated them i storaged mine at 3.5 the other day
    Last edited by wannabe4x4; 03-04-2013 at 09:08 PM.