RC poster

Entry Level Brushless system for T to E maxx project

First post one the forum so I will explain a little about my self... I've been into the hobby my whole life especially monster trucks and most of my time was spent with them back in the Clod Buster vs Double Dare/USA-1 days... I still have Clod Busters might I add... About 7 to 8 years back I got back into it a little while and got some T-maxx's since that was the top truck at the time.... Now I'm getting back into it again and with the brushless systems and lipo batteries it makes me feel all new to the hobby again which is fine. Like alot of people I want do away with the hassle of nitro.

What I want to do is convert one of my 2.5 T-maxxs to brushless as cheap as I can to use as a test dummy to get used to brushless. I've got the transmission, motor mount and battery issues taken care of but there's lots of brushless systems and lipo batteries to choose from. I know theres a lot of information on here about adding brushless to T-maxx but most threads are fairly old and theres alot of new brushless systems out that wasnt when those builds were happening. I would like to keep my price range in the $75 to $150 range if possible ($200 if I absolutely have to) for the motor and ESC. I've been looking at tons of them and can't settle on one.

The truck weighs right around 7 lbs with all of the non needed nitro stuff taken off... that makes me think that a 1/10th power plant would be enough... Tell me if I'm wrong? I dont need super power because the drive train will remain stock. I figure probably just a single 3s battery is what I would run most of the time but would like the option of more if I wanted to as the battery placement options are nearly endless with a T-maxx chassis.

What are some ideas on systems and sites to order from?

I've also read that some ESC's require certain amp lipo's or vissa versa.. A little input on that would be nice also.

One more question... Will my Super Brain 977 safely charge lipo batteries?

Thanks for any input you guys are willing to share.

http://www.rcecho.com/HOBBYWING-XERU...mbo-ME222.html
    http://www.rcecho.com/HOBBYWING-XERU...ard-ME237.html
    first combo is waterproof and has a max rating for lipos at 4s more than enough for the emaxx too.
    the second combo is rated at 6s max and is not waterproof at all.

SPC has nice lipos and priced right too not to mention the specs and rating are true not over inflated like some companies.
    http://www.specpointbatteries.com/in...?categoryID=13

Not sure about your charger though so cant comment on that maybe someone can answer that though.

Yes both of these combos need atleast 150amps to operate correctly and not over stress the lipos. so SPC has a basic lipo of 2s 5000mah 30c which puts out 150amps. If you can afford more C rating and a little more MAH rating get it. they have a 2s 6500mah 50c lipo that will be prefect for either of those combos i posted.
    You can find these systems on a USA based place sometimes for the same price too. you need a system designed for 1/8 scale not 1/10 scale.
    An idea as well is buy the esc seperate from a USA store if you cant find the combo in USA (if your located here) and order say a leopard 2000-2200kv 4274 motor or tacon 4265/4274 2150kv motor from hobbypartz.com

Ooh yeah welcome to the forum as well glad to you have you here.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    With the 2.5 t maxx you can use a higher kv motor because it is lighter 2650- 3800
    Read through this http://robotwars.00server.com/emaxxfaq.html

RC poster
    Thanks for the info so far guys.

RC poster
    I ended up going with the Hobbywing 150amp esc and 2000kv motor system. I was gonna post some pics of the setup but I'm not allowed to I guess because of lack of posts. It seems to have tons of power for the 20 seconds that I can get it to run. I have recalibrated the throttle position many times... I have the voltage cutoff set at 3.2 volts.... the 3s lipo is fully charged... I have it set to automatically detect the type of battery... It comes on, runs good for 15 to 20 seconds and then shuts off and the red light on the esc starts blinking.

Any suggestions? I am also sending a message to Hobbywing but I hear that can take a while to hear back from.

Thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have no experience with that particular esc, but I guess the esc is cutting the voltage too early. What kind of lipo is it?

RC poster
    Gens Ace 3s 60c

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    are you running a single 3s lipo? any way to read the voltage on the pack, after the issue? I think it might have to do with some setting on the esc.

RC poster
    It's a single 3s and when I hook it up to the charger immediatly after it happens it still reads 11 plus volts

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    How old is the pack?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    How old is the pack?
    Brand new.

RC poster
    Problem solved!!! I had the esc set to automatically determine the ammount of cells. Hobbywing esc's cannot determine an odd number (3s like I use) of cells so I manually set it and everything is perfect now. Runs nice and smooth and very cool. Only took me 3 minutes to twist the rear drive shaft.lol It has tons of low end power.