RC Champion

Angry Driveshaft too short?!

Spent a small fortune on FLM combo bulks and chassis...no directions or diagrams provided.

I just went to assemble the front driveshaft -- provided by FLM -- and it's 1/4" too short. It's still seated in the cups (not sure what those are called), but there's 1/4" of back and forth slop.

Am I missing something?

Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Champion
    You could use a short length of nitro tube in each end not too tight that the dogbone won't slide a little.
    Problems.The manual's good starting point. Simple

Use o-rings or thin slices of fuel tubing in the cups as shims to center the bone in the cups and reduce the play. Not too tight, you want a little free play of the bone in the cups.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Champion
    Nitro tubing, eh? I see what you guys are saying. Seems like a simple enough solution, and a small piece on each end will equate to about 1/4". I gotta see if I can find some...thanks for the tip!

I guess I'm just frustrated that the shaft isn't the proper length to begin with...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    If it was tight it would bind like crazy...
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    If it was tight it would bind like crazy...
    Okay, I guess I was just alarmed by the amount of slop...the stock shaft is fairly snug.

RC Qualifier
    Hey, I just orded my FLM chasis as well. Already have the Ultimate Bulks. I was wondering if you could post pics and keep us updated to how you resolved this issue...? I'd like to see what you used and how you decreased the slope from the 1/4" too short of distance, thanks !

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman View Post
    Hey, I just orded my FLM chasis as well. Already have the Ultimate Bulks. I was wondering if you could post pics and keep us updated to how you resolved this issue...? I'd like to see what you used and how you decreased the slope from the 1/4" too short of distance, thanks !
    No pic at the moment...I didn't have any nitro tubing (because we all know that nitro is the spawn of Satan! ) So what I did was cut a rubber servo grommet in half and carefully insert it in each driveshaft cup. That took up the 1/4" perfectly without binding the shaft.

Usman, you may not have to worry about this problem with those Ultimates...it might be the correct length for you, who knows?

I'm a little frustrated with FLM at the moment; they don't do any favors for a mechanical novice like me by not including diagrams, or at least some pictures...thank God for the forum...

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the update, I ordered my chasis today and when it get here, i may encounter the problem, we'll see. I've heard many times before to use o-rings in drivecups to increase performance and eliminate many issues. If you get the chance, id like to see how you eliminated your problem, pictures speak volumes. Yeah, i'm very thankful for this forum because getting help from FLM with what to do seems like a problem i'm not the only one encountered.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Its kind of ridiculous that flm doesn't including anything. I had to search to see which way to mount the shock towers!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Its kind of ridiculous that flm doesn't including anything. I had to search to see which way to mount the shock towers!
    I'm not ordering their shock towers for that very reason. Sticking with RPM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    A little play is normal, that's the way it has to be. I've running mine like that with no issues, just put loctite on the drive up screw.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    I'm not ordering their shock towers for that very reason. Sticking with RPM.
    Shock towers were pretty straight forward

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Really? They can mount with the posts facing to the front and the rear then the body holes don't line up