RC Racer

Pede stutters and lacks power

So I bought a Stampede VXL 2WD and it does not have nearly as much power as my son's GraveDigger.

It seems to stutter when I pull away from a start and doesn't have the top speed I would expect from it.

The previous owner had upgraded the gearing to 31/83 which is supposed to have a higher top speed.

Could the motor be going bad? or even the esc?

RC Qualifier
    Um lvd is off if you running nihm bats and training isn't on its it?
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber211 View Post
    Um lvd is off if you running nihm bats and training isn't on its it?
    Yes checked both already.

RC Champion
    Get that 31 tooth pinion off there and put a much smaller pinion in it's place. Over gearing a brushless combo is a recipe for speed runs only and an abnormal amount of cogging and the potential for overheating a motor and potentially ruining it.
    Try running a 19 tooth pinion, instead

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaks View Post
    Get that 31 tooth pinion off there and put a much smaller pinion in it's place. Over gearing a brushless combo is a recipe for speed runs only and an abnormal amount of cogging and the potential for overheating a motor and potentially ruining it.
    Try running a 19 tooth pinion, instead
    so I should try 19T with the 83T or swap the 83T for the stock 86T?

Would this really cause the issues I'm seeing?

RC Champion
    Yes, overgearing can have an effect on cogging. I wouldn't worry abou the spur yet. Swap the pinhole to see if it helps. I'm almost scared that your brushless combo is shot. I've seen moderate cogging from over gearing, and I've seen cogging so bad that it eventually fried my esc.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I would almost bet the 19T will help with the cogging. I'm curious if the motor has been overheated to. What kind of battery are you running also?
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    https://www.facebook.com/video/embed...86023548100626

full throttle launch.

My son's digger can stand up and do a wheelie for several feet.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    I would almost bet the 19T will help with the cogging. I'm curious if the motor has been overheated to. What kind of battery are you running also?
    I'll try it tonight.

Just running the stock 8.4v 3000 7cell traxxas nimh battery.

RC Racer
    Yes, overgearing can have an effect on cogging. I wouldn't worry abou the spur yet. Swap the pinhole to see if it helps. I'm almost scared that your brushless combo is shot. I've seen moderate cogging from over gearing, and I've seen cogging so bad that it eventually fried my esc.
    if the motor or esc were shot, would it still move? I mean it does still go but not nearly like it should.

RC Champion
    Maybe your batteries are no good or need to be cycled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kid at heart......and always playin around

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by sduffy77 View Post
    I'll try it tonight.

Just running the stock 8.4v 3000 7cell traxxas nimh battery.
    I don't think thats a good idea running that gearing with those batts. They don't supply the umph (Amps) needed for the brushless motor. Have/did the batts ever get hot on that gearing, do you know?
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    when a motor reaches temps above 200 degrees F, there's something about the magnets coming unglued in the motor that can cause it to not turn under power.

I thought I had esc issues from excessive cogging. I kept trying to make the truck go and the ESC poofed. I sent both items back to Traxxas and they told me the motor was at fault. Before the esc burned, the truck was extremely coggy. My worries are that even though you are running a nimh pack, that gearing combo is too close to the recipe an owner would use to get 65mph with a pede and a 3S lipo.

Keep us posted on the situation after you swap gears, but if the cogging continues, I would contact your seller about it or call traxxas for some replacements, at a reasonable discount. But i'm telling you, that gearing is nothing anyone around here would attempt with a nimh pack and definiteyl not in a 'bashing' type fashion. 31/83 is for speed runs, only.

RC Racer
    Ok, I changed out the pinion gear to 19T and the lower end power is back and it's pulling wheelies. Still nothing like my son's stock digger does tho. I still have the 83T spur gear

Also the top speed seems lower than his stock digger. I also tried the 25T that comes with it. Seemed more responsive but still didn't pull wheelies like I'd assume it should.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    I don't think thats a good idea running that gearing with those batts. They don't supply the umph (Amps) needed for the brushless motor. Have/did the batts ever get hot on that gearing, do you know?
    No nothing ever got very hot.

I might be upgrading to Lipo soon.

RC poster
    I have son of digger and a stampede. It is the monster wheels from the digger that grip the ground. My stampede pulls wheelies stock just like my son uva digger. I put one set of diggs in the back of both and pedes on both fronts for steering. Good combo.
    hope it helps

when a motor reaches temps above 200 degrees F, there's something about the magnets coming unglued in the motor that can cause it to not turn under power. Neodymium magnets like those in the Velineon motor permanently lose their magnetism when subjected to temperatures in excess of 200F. Strong magnets make good motors, weak magnets make slow ones. Excessive heat can also crack or shatter the rotor magnet.

I thought I had esc issues from excessive cogging. I kept trying to make the truck go and the ESC poofed. I sent both items back to Traxxas and they told me the motor was at fault. Before the esc burned, the truck was extremely coggy. My worries are that even though you are running a nimh pack, that gearing combo is too close to the recipe an owner would use to get 65mph with a pede and a 3S lipo.

Keep us posted on the situation after you swap gears, but if the cogging continues, I would contact your seller about it or call traxxas for some replacements, at a reasonable discount. But i'm telling you, that gearing is nothing anyone around here would attempt with a nimh pack and definiteyl not in a 'bashing' type fashion. 31/83 is for speed runs, only.
    "Yup" to the rest.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    "Yup" to the rest.
    So is there a way to tell if the magnets are partially damaged?

When I use the pede the motor never gets too hot to touch but of course it's 30 degrees F here.

Bad performance, stuttering. Unfortunately, those symptoms can result from other problems as well.
    However, if the former owner ran 31/83 with close to stock-sized tires on anything but flat pavement...it doesn't sound good.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sduffy77 View Post
    so I should try 19T with the 83T or swap the 83T for the stock 86T?

Would this really cause the issues I'm seeing?
    I run 19/86 for bashing and short oval track. This runs nice and cool on 2S and gives very good acceleration and wheelies.

RC Racer
    Solved... and I feel dumb for admitting why.

I decided to try recalibrating the TQI throttle again and guess what, it took off like a bullet. I must have been operating under half throttle.

RC Racer
    (Calibrating your ESC and transmitter)
    Read through all of the programming steps before you begin. If you get
    lost during programming or receive unexpected results, simply unplug
    the battery, wait a few seconds, plug the battery back in, and start over.
    1. Connect a fully charged battery pack to the VXL-3s.
    2. Turn on the transmitter (with the throttle at neutral).
    3. Press and hold the EZ-Set button (A). The LED will
    first turn green and then red. Release the
    EZ-Set button.
    4. When the LED blinks RED ONCE, pull the
    throttle trigger to the full throttle position
    and hold it there (B).
    5. When the LED blinks RED TWICE, push the
    throttle trigger to the full reverse and hold it
    there (C).
    6. When the LED blinks GREEN ONCE,
    programming is complete. The LED will
    then shine green or red (depending on Low-Voltage
    Detection setting) indicating the VXL-3s is on and at
    neutral (D).

RC Competitor
    No need for feeling dumb. You got your problem solved which is a good thing!