RC Competitor

Mercencario27's Yellow Summit VXL

Last week I bought the 1/16 Slash 4x4 for myself for my up coming birthday. The it was muddy and wet because of the crappy weather in the Northeast. So, the brand new Slash was just sat there in the box unopened.

During that week I spent most of my time researching necessary hop ups and mods. After spending a week in the traxxas forums I realized I was going to end up converting the slash into a revo or summit, I wanted more ground clearance and I wanted the option of adding LED Headlights. Yesterday, I traded in the Slash for the 1/16 Summit VXL.

So these are my Hop-ups/Mods so far:
    -60 weight oil in the shocks for bashing in the backyard
    -Center Diff w/grease to limit the diff but not restrict it
    -1/10 Summit LED lights in the bumper

RC Qualifier
    The shocks already come with 60wt oil stock.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by westoakmech View Post
    The shocks already come with 60wt oil stock.
    I thought I read somewhere that it only had 30wt in them. Oh well, at least I know they aren't dry like the center diff I bought.

RC Qualifier
    I think the merv comes with 30wt. I think the older summits came with 40wt. It does not hurt to check anyway. I have seen new ones empty.

Sent from my LG-AS695 using Tapatalk 2
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Qualifier
    Nice summit jr. mercenario27, welcome to the club lol I love mine, of course I am still upgrading things but trying to stay on a budget and replace things as I need them, so far servo stripped traxxas sent a new one and I put a Hitec 5085 in it, switched out tires to 1/10 Proline trenchers 2.2/3.0 slash tires they work pretty good, set of steel hollow balls, just broke a drive shaft so revo shafts are next... this little guy is just too much fun its my take everywhere truck.
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Champion
    Be careful with Revo shafts in a Summit.
    With the long travel rockers...you might have an issue with them popping out from time to time.
    I'm actually probably going to swap the Summit rockers out on mine for a set of regular rockers.
    Then I can run the Revo shafts with no issue.
    There's not a big length difference(about 1/8" shorter outer shaft on the Revo)...but there is enough of a difference where some people have had issues.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber211 View Post
    Nice summit jr. mercenario27, welcome to the club lol I love mine, of course I am still upgrading things but trying to stay on a budget and replace things as I need them, so far servo stripped traxxas sent a new one and I put a Hitec 5085 in it, switched out tires to 1/10 Proline trenchers 2.2/3.0 slash tires they work pretty good, set of steel hollow balls, just broke a drive shaft so revo shafts are next... this little guy is just too much fun its my take everywhere truck.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dcfox View Post
    With the long travel rockers...you might have an issue with them popping out from time to time.
    I'm actually probably going to swap the Summit rockers out on mine for a set of regular rockers.
    There's not a big length difference(about 1/8" shorter outer shaft on the Revo)...but there is enough of a difference where some people have had issues.
    What exactly happens when you install the "regular rockers," I understand they are the same ones in the mrev and slash. Do they lower the truck or reduce the suspension travel?

RC poster
    first I have ever heard of this, I've been running merv shafts in mine for 7 months and haven't had a problem, and have beat the ever living tar out of it.
    3903Emaxx->brushless;4wd vxl mini Digger;VXL Rusty

RC Qualifier
    he is talking about the metal shafts, the stock revo plastic ones won't pop out and so far seem fine. If you run on 3s I could see it being a problem though.

RC Champion
    Thanks robl45...I had a brain fart.lol.
    I compared my Merv shaft right beside my Summit shaft and saw it was about 1/8" shorter.
    My brain went right to the info about the Merv shaft popping out and I forgot completely that it was the metal shafts that had that issue.
    I do run on 3S.
    I did read something about using Merv shafts with Rustler U-joints being the best setup for a Summit...but can't seem to find the info on how to go about this mod.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    Thanks robl45...I had a brain fart.lol.
    I compared my Merv shaft right beside my Summit shaft and saw it was about 1/8" shorter.
    My brain went right to the info about the Merv shaft popping out and I forgot completely that it was the metal shafts that had that issue.
    I do run on 3S.
    I did read something about using Merv shafts with Rustler U-joints being the best setup for a Summit...but can't seem to find the info on how to go about this mod.
    Just buy rustler yokes and replace the Merv ones with the rustlers. You may have to file down a bit of the excess off the pins to keep them from scraping.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxximum Overdive View Post
    Just buy rustler yokes and replace the Merv ones with the rustlers. You may have to file down a bit of the excess off the pins to keep them from scraping.
    Do you think that the rustler yokes would hold up to traxxas 2200 Lipo? I run 2 stock packs together, 2 dynamite 1600 packs together, and a single 1400 lipo.

RC Competitor
    I just found my first donor body for the Summit.

I'm thinking about keeping the New Bright sticker on the windshield

RC Competitor
    I was researching online on how to make the new bright bodies fit and still be able to use the summit bumpers; this was the solution I found:

RC Competitor
    1/16 Summit Diary Entry #6
    Its the first week of March and I've only owned the Summit for a week. By day three of owning the Summit I had decided or convinced myself I needed to install a center diff for backyard bashing, based on my experience with the 1/18 scale R__T & R__B and reading the Traxxas Forums. Since then I been having one problem after another.
    My first mishap happened on Monday or Tuesday before even I was able to run the Summit; it was a stock battery, it overcharged. I plugged the stock 1200 Battery in the supplied charger and it began to sizzle after 20 minutes. Place a call into Traxxas and they agreed to replace the battery.
    Yesterday I stripped servo; this might have possibly been caused by me over-tightening the screw on the front skid plate when I install the new center diff. The new servo seemed to twitch a lot, it didn't seem rotate smoothly left and right. I haven't decided if I was going return it or replace by batteries in the transmitter( TX's led is blinking red). If I need to: how do I reset the the Radio/ESC to factory settings?
    Just after I replaced the servo I stripped the Spurgear; I incorrectly installed the receiver box(didn't slide the tab into the chassis before tightening the two bolts), this caused the pinion not mesh with the spur correctly. So today (Sunday)I went to Hobbytown. They only had the slash spur gear in stock, so I bought the slash spur and had them put 2 summit spurs on back order for me. Spent the entire movie "The Watch"(Funny as heck) trying to figure out why the pinion wouldn't seat correctly before realizing I didn't seat the receiver box properly on the chassis.

Conclusion: I enjoyed the Summit for 3 maybe 4 full battery packs before I started having any problems. The lesson I learned: Don't fix it unless its broken! I did find a Dodge Hard Top from New Bright R/C. I fit that later this week and post some pictures.

RC Competitor
    1/16 Summit Diary Entry #7

• I replaced the stripped gears in that servo I replace last week with replacement gears trx2082. I decided to run two servos. I also had to buy the parts bag trx7043 just for the tiny little bar to connect the second servo horn to the servo saver. What a rip off $13.00 for a for a whole bag of parts that I only needed one small piece from. I did notice an increase in torque and speed, enough to justify the extra $4.00

• I replace the 45 tooth spur I installed last week with the stock size 50 tooth. Did increase speed but it cause the motor to get pretty hot. I bought an extra spur just in case.

• Installed the Grave Diggers red leds trx3686 into the rear bumper. Now I have headlights and tail lights.

• I dry fitted the New Bright Ram body on the summit chassis. I have to get a shorter rear body post for the pickup style body. I also need to purchase some type of plastic or metal tubing to make spacers to push the summit bumpers farther out.

Hop-Ups
    Center Diff
    Mods
    1/10 Summit Light Bar Leds installed in the front bumper
    1/10 Red Grave Digger Led Head Lights installed in the rear bumper
    Grease packed in the center diff
    Duel 2080 Servo
    Batteries
    2 Traxxas 1200 Power Cells with Traxxas Parallel Y-Harness
    1 Dynamite 1600 battery
    1 Traxxas 1200 LiPo
    Broken Parts
    Stripped Gears in 2080 Servo
    Stripped Spur Gear

RC Competitor

1/16 Summit Diary Entry #8

On my third week of owning the 1/16 Summit and no new issues. I bought another pair of 1200 Power Cells to run in parallel. I never got around to mounting the New Bright Body.

The spring thaw started so I decided to redesign the backyard track. Later this summer when I have the layout finalized I'll make the border out of black corrugated tube or 4" PVC Pipe.

Sorry for the bad cell phone pictures, the sun was setting and it was so bright.

Hop-Ups
    Center Diff
    Mods
    Duel 2080 Steering Servos
    Batteries
    4 Traxxas 1200 Power Cells with Traxxas Parallel Y-Harness
    1 Dynamite 1600 battery
    1 Traxxas 1200 LiPo
    Broken Parts
    Stripped Gears in 2080 Servo
    Stripped Spur Gear

RC Competitor

1/16 Summit Diary Entry #9

Its been almost 5 months since I bought 1/16 Summit and I continue to run it at least once a week. I glad to report I haven't broken any new parts since my last entry. I did strip out the original servo that I already replaced the gears in. I was running dual servos, now I'm back to running just one servo. When this second traxxas servo stripps out I'll replace it with a Hitec

The only new mod I came up with was to eliminate the use for body clips. Man, I hated those clips! I installed velcro to the battery trays and body. I kept the body post on help with support and keeping the body straight on the chassis. This mod really works well. I'll post pictures if anyone requests them.

The track is holding up well and I cleaned it up a bit. I never got around to purchasing that PVC tubing, it was just cost too much for me to justify it. I've created boarders with grass clippings and as they decompose they're create a natural border

Hop-Ups
    Center Diff
    Mods
    Vecro Body Mount (replaces body clips)
    Batteries
    1 Dynamite 1600 battery
    1 Traxxas 1200 LiPo
    Broken Parts
    Stripped Gears in 2080 Servo (x2)
    Stripped Spur Gear

RC Racer
    Hello mercenario27, I would like to see pictures of your Velcro body mod and your track too! Thanks.

RC Competitor
    Here is the velcro on the body and chassis

Is is my backyard track. Nature is starting to reclaim it. We just finished with 2 weeks of rain, we still have thunderstorms in the forecast all week. Might go get some round up this week to kill some of the grass off.

RC Qualifier
    i like the yellow i want one and i love the track in your back yard makes me want to build on in my yard my wife and i have e maxxes and my son has a stampede we have thinking of buildi.g a track for some time. now that i see this it makes me want to start one keep up the good work on yours and have fun

RC Racer
    thanks for posting the pics! I agree with fish...very inspiring.

RC Competitor

1/16 Summit Diary Entry #10

I've hit the 6 month mark and my summit is show signs of wear: front tie rods. the front shock caps are shot, the mounting hole is stretched out. One of the diffs are making a clicking noise. The front axles seem to have a wobble to them. Stripped my third servo.

I haven't had time to get to the Hobbytown, so I decided to rebuild the track.

I got rid of this because it was killing the suspension.

and replaced it with this

Got rid of this

and replaced it with this

Hop-Ups
    Center Diff
    Mods
    Batteries
    1 Dynamite 1600 battery
    1 Traxxas 1200 LiPo
    Broken Parts
    Stripped Gears in 2080 Servo (x3)
    Stripped Spur Gear
    Diff
    Shock Cap

RC Racer
    That track is awesome. Might I trouble you for some running videos on it?

RC Racer
    +1 running video! The new setup looks good!

RC Competitor

1/16 Summit Diary Entry #11

I've been watering the track for several days to help pack the dirt while I was looking for parts and rebuilding the summit? As soon as the dirt is packed enough I'll rake to level it out. I'll have my oldest film it on her state of the art iphone since my lo-tech phone doesn't do video. I can do a video as soon as I can fab a mount for a gopro.

I finally found the ring and pinion for the rear diff. Dirt got into the rear bulkheads and the ring and pinion were acting like a mill and created a fine power dirt. The ring and pinion wore out enough to slip. How do prevent dirt from entering the bulkheads?

I can't find oem replacement shocks, I'm finding it hard to drop $45 for new shocks, the shocks on the left side took a beating. The eyelets are all stretched out making hard to ignore, plus the spring tension warped/bent the bottom spring cups. I hate rebuilding shocks. I know its not hard, but its messy and time consuming.

I finally pressured my buddy to get back into R/Cs. Who said peer pressure was all bad? The bad news is he bought a savage xs. Even badder, hes the kind of guy who jumps into a hobby all or nothing. So, that means I need to always stay a step ahead of him.

Hop-Ups
    Center Diff
    RPM Axle Carriers (not installed)
    Mods
    Batteries
    1 Dynamite 1600 battery
    1 Traxxas 1200 LiPo
    Broken Parts
    Stripped Spur Gear
    Ring and Pinion
    Shocks (x2)
    Push Rods

RC Racer
    Cool, Sount's good. I know about getting friends into rc's. Had a friend since I was pre-school (11 years) and I'm buying me and him both 1/16 summits tomorrow. I want to make a track like this, this is cool. Keep up the good work, and the more pictures the better!

RC Competitor

1/16 Summit Diary Entry #12

I completed a bunch of maintenance: replaced some toe links and axle carriers that had a ton of slop in them. Installed the merv rockers to minimize the wear and tear on the suspension and to increase stability for track conditions. I added century compression springs to the rear shocks after getting frustrated with slop in the rear suspension. One last thing, I leveled the track for a better layout I attempted several different layouts but nothing panned out. One of my stupidest ideas! I went back to my original layout with a bit of expansion.

Hop-Ups
    RPM Axle Carriers (Front)
    Center Diff
    RPM Rear Merv Arms (not installed)
    Mods
    Century C-704 Compression Springs (Rear)
    Merv Rockers
    Batteries
    1 Dynamite 1600 battery
    1 Traxxas 1200 LiPo
    Broken Parts
    Stripped Spur Gear